FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enough with the screaming!

Author Topic: Enough with the screaming!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(thread title edited because it was really starting to bug me, and I can)

So, the doorbell rang just before 8pm Saturday evening. I couldn't make it to the door in time, but I figured that if it was HP6, they would leave it. (I also didn't think it was all that likely it was HP6.) When I checked a bit later, no package, and no little sticky "we attempted delivery" either.

Ok, I had assumed it would come Monday, so that was fine. Today I got home about 3pm, and again -- no package, no sticky thing. So I checked with tracking (as I did yesterday, but it hadn't been updated then) and it was indeed them trying to deliver Saturday night.

After trying to get 1-800-ASK-USPS to help me, get me to a human being, SOMETHING, I got smart and called my local post office directly.

The person in charge there sounds a bit frazzled (why, I wonder? [Wink] ) but promised me she will personally track down my package and call me back before 5pm.

*whimper* I want my Harry Potter!

[ July 22, 2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people, I hear, buy books in stores.

[Razz]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I hear that too.

However, given what a pain-in-the-neck it usually is for me to GET to a store (or even the library!), it is generally simpler to have it delivered. Especially since I generally get free shipping.

And they've never failed to simply LEAVE the book if I'm not there before!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I get really excited about computer parts that I buy from Newegg, I always get very anxious about the delivery. I'll hit the 'Refresh' button on the FedEx tracking information page over and over for hours on end - it is scary.

This probably wont make you feel any better but, whenever I have something coming to me in the mail it always seems like ages until it gets here.

On the plus side, very few things actually get lost or wrongly delivered by the USPS (relatively speaking, of course).

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

The last line! That had a totally 'feel good' message. Didn't it? [Big Grin]
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*dances* They found it! They found it!

And they're holding it for me. I have someone coming here at 4:30-5:30, but right after that, off to the post office I go! (and I won't even have to wait in line)

Yay!

Chungwa
Member # 6421

[Party]
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
My son picked up our copy at the A&P for $14.99. Kinda made all this "reserving a copy" stuff seem overrated.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I reserved so I could get mine at the midnight party. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have it! [Party]

And yeah, next time I'll skip the pre-ordering. Ralph's had 'em. Although I'm not sure how much for.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralph's...so were they in the deli right next to the full-blood prince?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, given what a pain-in-the-neck it usually is for me to GET to a store (or even the library!), it is generally simpler to have it delivered.
quote:
And they're holding it for me. I have someone coming here at 4:30-5:30, but right after that, off to the post office I go!
Does anyone else here see the irony here?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Bob, maybe there also. I heard about the ones by the register.

Tante, yes, absolutely. Hence:
quote:
And yeah, next time I'll skip the pre-ordering.

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the thread title, I thought this thread was a reaction to the ENDING of Harry Potter VI...
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sooo good when your mother works in a bookstore! [Big Grin]

They only had that silly Amrican publication available, unless you pre-order. My mother, of course, managed to pre-order on the spot, so I got it the night it was out here. [Big Grin]

HAHA!!!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought amazon had a guarantee that you would have it on Saturday or your money back?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Only if you pay for delivery. That deal was not extended for Super Saver Shipping.

Besides, the post office tried to deliver it on the 16th.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy veis mier!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why the American version had to change words. "shorts" instead of "pants" I can deal with, "Sourcerer's Stone" instead of "Philosopher's Stone" is really pushing it, but "amazing" instead of "brilliant"?!?!?! That's going too far!!!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not even discuss fanny and fag!

[Roll Eyes]

Silly Scholastic books.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
But "brilliant" isn't generally used in the sense in question in the U.S., especially by children...

Anyway, for more on the U.S. vs. U.K. editions, I refer you to my 2002 essay, A Stone By Any Other Name: Harry Potter and the Unstable Text. (Note that this has a few typos -- most notably, Lolita was written in English and then translated into Russian, not the other way around -- and the whole section about the Dean Thomas paragraph has since been addressed by Rowling.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer the british versions. I lived there for a year (that's when I read the first HP book) and I find the dialogue to be much more entertaining when it still contains the British words.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Shmuel,
Swell essay. I'd read the Brit edition of the first book, and haven't read the American version. Now I want to read the Scholastic version to see how the differences resonate.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that they left the swearing in the Scholastic version this time. I read both the British and American versions of 5 and there was definitely less swearing in the American version. [Smile] The British version also had the word "revising" instead of "studying." It took me a bit to figure out what they were referring to. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet the American version still used the word shufti?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a British book, the kids are from Britain, so they should talk like British kids talk. I loathe it when editors try to change stuff up like that to make it easier or more accessible to U.S. readers. They sap all the flavor out of it! It's a desecration! How else are we going to learn very important vital information such as what it means when someone is chuffed?

My War and Peace has the names all simplified for non-Russian speakers, too. It's a terrible translation altogether, in fact. Don't buy the Penguin War and Peace, whatever you do.

I really really hate it when stupid editors trample over good books like that. Why must they do it? Why? Are we so brainless that they have to dumb them down for us? Erase all the differences and flavor? Grrr, these are books, not television!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Swearing, what swearing?
I WANT TO GET IT IN Japanese...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a British book, the kids are from Britain, so they should talk like British kids talk. I loathe it when editors try to change stuff up like that to make it easier or more accessible to U.S. readers. They sap all the flavor out of it! It's a desecration! How else are we going to learn very important vital information such as what it means when someone is chuffed?
Hear, hear!!!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I agree as well. I grew up reading British books almost as often as those by American authors -- loads of Enid Blyton's stuff and . . . um, blanking on titles, but the pink book and the blue book about the family with lots and lots of kids, several named after saints, who are always getting in trouble/having adventures. Sort of paralleled the All of a Kind Family books for me. One about a family growing up in the Lower East Side, one about a family growing up on the edge of London (I think).

I dislike rather intensely that they edit out the Britishisms in the HP books. I hear the UK versions of the books are shorter as well. Extra exposition for us dim-bulb Americans?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Don't buy the Penguin War and Peace
Is that a sequel or a prequel to March of the Penguins?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Don't buy the Penguin War and Peace
Is that a sequel or a prequel to March of the Penguins?
Neither, it's a terrible translation into the dominant language of large arctic birds.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And I didn't even know that they could read...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They can't. It's mainly an intellectual exercise.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
I hear the UK versions of the books are shorter as well. Extra exposition for us dim-bulb Americans?
No. Smaller typeface, less leading (that is, less space between lines of type), and no illustrations at the start of each chapter.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You get pictures?!

What I want to know is why the American copy is different from the Canadian one? I mean, Canadians are socially closer to America than England and yet they recieve the English version without a flicker from the publisher. Peculiar.

Personally, I think "translating" books for Americans it's not only a waste of time it's also uneccessary. If you don't get it, look it up! American movies aren't "translated" for British audiences, are they?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You don't get those lovely illustrations? Ok, for those I will even accept the silly Americanization.

We're Americans, Teshi. We don't translate nuthin' fer nobahdee. [Razz]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
I mean, Canadians are socially closer to America than England and yet they recieve the English version without a flicker from the publisher. Peculiar.
All Raincoast does for the Canadian edition is reproduce the Bloomsbury version; no additional typesetting is involved, barring the title and copyright pages. I'm supposing there are business reasons accounting for them using that one rather than the U.S. edition.

quote:
American movies aren't "translated" for British audiences, are they?
No more often than British movies are translated for American audiences. On the other hand, American children's books are quite definitely translated for British readers, and I say that as somebody who's read U.K. versions of the Hardy Boys and Little House on the Prairie. (Granted, most of the changes in the latter were in punctuation, although I don't know why "pease porridge hot" needed to be changed to "bean porridge hot." The former was changed more extensively, as I recall.)

[ July 26, 2005, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You don't get those lovely illustrations?

Yeah, I do think it's worth noting that the design and production of the Scholastic editions are beautiful; the Bloomsbury ones are merely adequate.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I want to know is why the American copy is different from the Canadian one? I mean, Canadians are socially closer to America than England and yet they recieve the English version without a flicker from the publisher. Peculiar.
Canadian English isn't the same as either American or UK English - it's sorta halfway between. We accept color or colour, neighbor or neighbour, grey or gray, artifact or artefact, and so on.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.