FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John Roberts

Author Topic: John Roberts
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
Nominee for the United States Supreme Court.

Discuss...

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
pro-life, called Roe constitutionally unsound.

His confirmation to his current judicial seat was not unanimous, btw.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked this guy up back when the Washington Post first put its list of likely candidates together. He's really not bad. Very experienced. Not a major idealogue.

His stand on Roe v Wade is not so clear cut as Storm makes it sound, btw. The word has floated that he was presenting the views of the administration he worked for at the time (Bush I) rather than expressing his personal views on the subject. We don't really know what his personal views are.

And, to GWB's credit, the list of candidates was comprised of mostly darn good people and this particular candidate is by no means the worst of the bunch. In fact, he seems pretty solid.

Maybe I'll learn more about him and have to revise that opinion somewhat, but for now, I'm thinking he looks like a pretty good choice.

The fact that he's 50 could be good and could be bad. If he sucks, he'll have way too many years on the bench. On the other hand, if he's good, it'll be nice to have someone sensible in there for a good long time.

Also, I'm heartened by the overall fact that a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court tends to give a person a certain amount of independence, no matter what political process was used to tap him for the job.

But, having said that, I'm reading some very good things about how Bush went about this process. I'll even go so far as to say I'm impressed by what I've heard about his prior consultations with members of the Senate.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm feeling a cautiously optimistic 7 at the moment.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
He clerked for Rehnquist. That pretty much says it all.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

“[w]e continue to believe that Roe was wrongly decided and should be overruled…. [T]he Court’s conclusion in Roe that there is a fundamental right to an abortion… finds no support in the text, structure, or history of the Constitution.”

That's the quote that's being bandied about. Some people are arguing that he "had" to make a very strong pro-life argument as that was required by the case that he was arguing, however it's pretty clear that if Bush nominated someone who wasn't 'pro-life' and didn't work to roll back Roe, there would be a tremendous backlash, as many conservatives feel that Bush ran on nominating pro-life justices to the SC. They feel that they (pro-life conservatives) put him into office, so he must nominate someone pro-life or betray both his word and his base. I've heard many people on the various conservative talkshows swear they would revolt against the Repubs if Bush didn't nominate somone pro-life.

Given the fact that Bush is pro-life himself, ran on the platform, has a significant portion of his base who would go nuts if his nomination wasn't pro-life, and given the previous statements by Roberts, it's extremely unlikely that Roberts wouldn't work to roll back Roe.

Yes, we all know justices change on the bench, so while it is possible he might leave Roe unchanged, I find it extremely unlikely that the Repubs are going to nominate someone they didn't feel pretty strongly was against Roe.

[ July 19, 2005, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bob on this one. The choice certainly could have been worse and he is very experienced.

Chances are, he'll probably follow in O'Conner's footsteps more than just in using her old chair there. Conservative-leaning moderate, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I figured, however, that a woman would be most likely to be nominated.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I think Sopwith and Bob are naive.

But I hope they are correct.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Chances are, he'll probably follow in O'Conner's footsteps more than just in using her old chair there. Conservative-leaning moderate, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

*blink*

What evidence is out there that this guy is anything like a moderate? On what do you base this claim? Everything that I've read about him points to him being a down the line conservative.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Also, isn't the fact that he's only been a judge for a few months kind of a huge point against him?
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I just have this innocence about me that says a person nominated to the Supreme Court, if they are to have the slightest chance of getting the final nod, will have to be moderate enough for a consensus to be gathered in the Senate.

In addition, holding the Constitution first and foremost would tend to make the person moderate in position if not politics.

Lastly, I'm not seeing a lot of evidence as to this guy being a hard-boiled conservative or a neo-con.

But I'm sure something will be drudged up or alluded to before it's all said and done.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
He's unlikely to provoke a fillibuster:

quote:
Sen. John R. Warner (R-Va.) hailed him as "a good choice." Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.) had previously identified him as a choice who would not trigger a Democratic filibuster. Both senators were among 14 lawmakers -- seven Republicans and seven Democrats -- who pushed through a compromise that averted a Senate showdown over the blockage of Bush judicial nominees through filibusters.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Storm, he's been a judge for over two years, not a few months. Still not a long time, but there's no need to make it sound shorter.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, and my prediction coincides with Kayla's and Storms.

To which I say, woohoo!

Kayla
Member # 2403

And the fact that Dags agrees with Stormy and I should scare the crap out of the "liberals" on the board. The only other Justices he could have clerked for who would have been worse would have been Thomas or Scalia.
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
Scalia usually has at least one of his clerks be oppsing in philosphy to him...to challange him....so, don't read everything into his clerkship....but taken all together.....

I think it could have been a lot worse for each party...

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kayla, the clerking aspect isn't really as dispositive as you seem to think.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It was a voice vote, which meant there was no serious opposition, but there might have been nays.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's interesting how the Court lines up. From the Post lead editorial:

quote:
This is not to say that Judge Roberts's nomination will proceed without controversy. At least one of his opinions since joining the D.C. Circuit raises a concern about his views of the balance of power between the federal government and the states. In that case, Judge Roberts intimated that he might take a very narrow view of the power of Congress to regulate interstate commerce -- the constitutional foundation of much of modern federal law. Judge Roberts poetically questioned whether "the taking of a hapless toad that, for reasons of its own, lives its entire life in California constitutes regulating 'Commerce . . . among the several States.' " Senators will need to explore whether he envisions a dramatic revision of federal power.
O'Connor was pretty firmly in the Rehnquist with regards to reigning in the commerce clause (which incidentally, I don't fully agree with them on). Appointing Roberts does not change the balance on this issue, although it means the balance won't be affected the other way, either.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Dagonee, it wasn't intentional. I just misread his bio.

Adam, his judicial nomination was blocked for two years in the committee, and as Dagonee posted, there was a voice vote so there are no records of who voted how, just that he passed.

Sopwith, here's what slate has to say about him.

To repeat, it would be politically stupid in so many different ways for Repubs not to go for the most conservative candidate they can.

I predict a filibuster, 'nuclear option', conformation.

Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting:
SOUTER IN ROBERTS CLOTHING

So far I like the guy. Guess we'll see though.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Adam that hurts!

This one better:
Judge John G. Roberts Nominated To Supreme Court

I just think of how we could have had Bork but got Kennedy. And how we got messed over with Souter.
I’m happy with him. Just hopeful he’s what he seems to be.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

It's exactly because so much is unknown about Roberts that the confirmation process for him should be extremely probing and he should not be coy in his responses.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain to me how abortion violates the constitution?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Wow... this is up quick:
http://judgeroberts.com/

Jay
Member # 5786

I think there is something in the constitution that talks about being “deprived of life” hence an abortion would violate the constitution in that way.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if the fetus is considered a person, which it isn't, legally. And also, that's without due process, which will vary from situation to situation, and is in some cases very simple.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

fugu, do you realize the irony of adding "that's without due process" to your post?
Jay
Member # 5786

Yes, just like many people didn’t used to be considered people under our constitution.

Adam - Well…. I’m sure Harry Reid is hoping he’s really liberal, where I’m hoping he’s really conservative.

CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
I think he is a reasonable choice. He isn't fringe neo-con, rabid, or an outer space alien. All of those are good things, in my book. (Heartlight? I don't think so. {-- joking)

I disagree with him aplenty, but he seems to have a sound legal mind. We just come to different conclusions.

(I would have preferred O'Conner to stay, naturally, but I would also prefer for her not to have so much going on in her life right now. [Frown] )

Edit: my favored replacement choice would have been Edith Brown Clement, but among the range of choices Bush could have been expected to make, Roberts doesn't strike me as a bad one. I didn't expect a liberal, for goodness' sake.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
Interesting Coulter piece.

There's no such thing.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee: none whatsoever, as no position was being advocated beyond that an abortion may not be made unlawful by that part of the constitution for obvious and easily understood, if not always agreed upon, reasons.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I would have preferred O'Conner to stay, naturally, but I would also prefer for her not to have so much going on in her life right now. [Frown] )
Why, what's going on with her life? Isn't she like 75?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Her husband is dying, I believe.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly tangential, but what exactly would be involved in "working to overturn Roe v Wade" anyway? Can the current Supremes decide to just bring up an old case or would they have to wait until a specific abortion-related case was brought to court?

Just wondering.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Informative
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dagonee: none whatsoever, as no position was being advocated beyond that an abortion may not be made unlawful by that part of the constitution for obvious and easily understood, if not always agreed upon, reasons.
The same exact qualification ("without due process") is added to "deprived of liberty." And this is the clause that is used by Roe v. Wade to justify the unconstitutionality of abortion prohibition.

If "without due process" prevents the no deprivation of life clause from being used to make abortion unconstitutional, it should also be used to prevent the no deprivation of liberty clause from being used to make abortion prohibition unconstitutional.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
C. Boyden Gray, a White House counsel in the first Bush Administration, when the Supreme Court shut Roberts out 9 to 0 in a commercial case, recalls the clients ranting, “How could we lose 9-0?” Roberts’s self-flagellating response: “Because there were only nine Justices.”
Made me chuckle, thought I'd share.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind reading that AC article, it is easy to see why she is such a rabid dog.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: [ROFL]

What are anyone's thoughts on the recently reported link between Roberts and his gay rights clients? Think anything will come of it?

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nah. he was helping a colleague prepare for an SCOTUS appearance. Anyone who reads more into it either way is ignoring the benefit a member of a law firm gains by any member of that firm doing well in front of SCOTUS.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.