FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: 'Firefly' glows in the deep, deep black

Author Topic: New column: 'Firefly' glows in the deep, deep black
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
'Firefly' glows in the deep, deep black

Starting Friday, July 22, at 7 p.m., the Sci-Fi channel will begin broadcasting the best science-fiction series ever made. Coincidentally, it will also be showing one of the best western shows and one of the funniest comedies. And it's called "Firefly."

Five hundred years in the future, a veteran of the losing side of a galactic civil war must find a way to survive on his own terms under the government's radar. With a small, quirky crew and a small, quirky ship, Captain Malcolm Reynolds takes on whatever job, legal or otherwise, that he can get. And one day he picks up something that the government wants very badly.

"Firefly" was created by Joss Whedon, who also created a blonde vampire-slayer you may have heard of. His sci-fi show was cancelled midseason, only airing 11 episodes. So why should you watch a half-finished science fiction/western from three years ago? Here's why:

=================

C'mon, you knew I'd be writing about it eventually...

[ July 20, 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the new international trailer is online at http://www.cantstopthesignal.co.uk/trailer

Some possible spoilers, so avoid it if you want to remain pristine.
However, this one is much more open to non-fans and gives a much better idea of what the movie is like. Sigh. I want to see it again...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...SciFi channel might redeem itself yet.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, Chris. Well-written. Can't wait!

[ July 20, 2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: CT ]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Great column as usual. Thanks for getting the word out about Firefly! [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I figured my boss would only let me get away with one gushing Firefly column, so I wanted to make it count.

Also, I've found that in many places dragging people one by one out of public places to watch TV at your house is both illegal and time-consuming, so this was easier.

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you da man.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And remember, every time you support a canceled Fox show, somewhere a network executive loses his wings.
[Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but Fox execs are like Balrogs - most likely they don't need their wings to do unspeakable evil.

I just saw the Firefly trailer - looks okay. I may see it.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My new Tivo had Serenity set up first. Do we want a countdown?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That's it, from now on I'm only writing about Firefly. I've gotten more e-mail for this one column than my last 30.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen it before but from the incredible reviews on this site for it, I'll be cancelling my plans friday night and watching this (I'm such a geek [Smile] ).
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Jaime, watch it. I'm serious. Or should I say:

Hi. My name is Cecily and I'm a freakish nutcase of a Firefly fan.

"Hi Cecily."

[Big Grin] Hatrack converted me. Let it convert you too.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
That's it, from now on I'm only writing about Firefly. I've gotten more e-mail for this one column than my last 30.

Ooh! Care to post samples?
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyway, how much "Stargate" can you watch?

I mean, seriously.

[Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro, I was just going to post that quote, but my comment would have been, "Well, let's see... Just finished season 7 on DVD, I wonder if I have time to watch all 7 again before Oct. 4, when season 8 is scheduled for release..." [Big Grin]

We don't have cable, so no Sci-Fi channel for me. [Frown] However, tv shows on DVD are teh awesome. You have convinced me to watch Firefly on DVD, though, so be proud. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to get technical...

There are 8 seasons so far. Each season has between 20 and 22 episodes, for a total of 173 episodes. Each episode is approximately 43 minutes long without commercials (the pilot is double that). Multiply that out and you get...

5 days, 4 hours, and 42 minutes of Stargate goodness. Assuming no bathroom breaks, of course. And then you still have the movie, Stargate: Atlantis, and all those behind-the-scenes extras.

Yes, I am a dork.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just found a link to this article on another forum I read. You're famous, Chris!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very excited about being able to see this show. I'm going to try and not miss a single episode.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out about firefly from a rabidly evangelical firefliyist at my new job while it simultaneously hit my radar here on Hatrack. It's set on Tivo as we speak. I'm excited to see what the hubbub is about.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Just remember (all you watching it for the first time) that the pilot is only a shadow of the goodness that is in store. So even if it doesn't thrill you, stick around for the rest.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I just checked our site stats for yesterday. My column got 4.33% of the total site traffic, right behind the front page and the local news index page for single page visits.

Wow.

Writing about cults is fun!

(edited to fix numbers, I looked at the unfinished stats for today instead of yesterday)

[ July 21, 2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. All those geeks with their news alerts.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the way you wrote this column in Firefly-style, Chris.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, Chris, now I have another great article to pimp to every living person I know... *trudges off to the trenches*

Seriously, GREAT work!

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

So what's the next cult phenom that you're going to write about? [Wink] Donnie Darko? Hatrack?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It's on Sci-Fi! Right now! Go, go, go!
GaalD
Member # 6222

Just watched it...Wow, that was really cool. I turned it on like a minute too late so can someone help me out with the beginning? What was that huge battle about and what was it that the captain heard that made him sad? The rest of the episode I understood and enjoyed alot. I'm definitely going to be watching it every friday from now on.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
The opening scene is the Battle of Serenity (for which the ship is named). For most of the battle, Mal is Gung Ho Cheerful Sergeant Supreme: a man of faith, and of ideals, who keeps his troops' morale up through sheer force of will. He assures one frightened private that the Independent faction's airforce ("our angels") is on its way to take out the Alliance forces currently tearing the Browncoats to pieces... only to be silenced as Zoe informs him that the incoming aircraft are not Browncoat at all. The Independents have lost the war. Mal turns suddenly haunted eyes towards the sky, where dozens of massive Alliance warships are descending.

The original opening sequence of the episode was slightly different (although, I think, still canon based on its inclusion in the DVD set). That sequence begins several days later, when an exhausted Mal and Zoe are finally picked up by a hospital ship. Apparently, in the days after the Independents' surrender, both sides were left to rot in Serenity Valley while the leadership negotiated a peace. End result: massive (and completely unnecessary) casualties on both sides, due more to malnutrition, injury, and inadequate medical supplies than actual fighting. No wonder that, as we cut to six years later, Mal is a shell of his former self, his faith and idealism destroyed.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Great summary, Tarrsk.

I adored the dinosaurs. *grin

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm glad someone told me to hang in there because I wasn't overwhelmed. It was...okay. Not great.

Spoilers below, though I kinda feel I was the last person here to ever watch Firefly. Last night was the first episode I've ever seen.

I thought the dinosaurs were pretty darn stupid, personally, maybe because I hadn't gotten to know the character very well yet, so instead of being entertaining it was just juvenile and dumb.

The only characters that I really care about at all are the Captain and the Shepherd. The Ambassador (didn't remember her name) is intriguing, though. Kaylie (the one who was shot) is too sappy sugary sweet to be believable. The guy Adam Baldwin plays is a jerk. Is he supposed to be a completely unsympathetic character?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Don't want to spoil the fun of discovering them yourself, but I can add vague reassurances.

Yes, the pilot episode has a much slower pace than the rest of the series. That's one of the reasons FOX didn't run it first, and while I think they should have found another way to deal with it, I have to agree it drags in places. The problem you face when you have to introduce 9 major characters, I guess. Also, you've only seen half of it, the second half picks up and you learn more about everybody.

Wash's character is juvenile, but he's not dumb, and that comes out pretty strongly soon.

The Ambassador is Inara, a trained Companion; "ambassador" was the crew's joking reference to her.

Kaylee is indeed sugary sweet, but it works for me. Granted, I know what's coming up for her, but also because I know people like that, and because everyone else on the ship is pretty dark. And I've spent 25 years in the company of a woman whose voice sounds like a cartoon character (very high-pitched) and I see people constantly prejudge her because they think she's doing it on purpose to be cute or girly. She is what she is.

And oh, yes, Adam Baldwin's "Jayne" is a jerk. He's a mercenary, here because Mal pays him well. He has some great scenes coming up in the 2nd half, he continues to be a jerk (if a useful jerk), and while I'm not sure if I'd ever become sympathetic towards him, he gets more depth later on.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sympathetic towards Jayne... hmm... I dunno... But I love him and I'm glad he's there. I think he gets some of the funniest lines in the whole show.

"She's in congress?"

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Did they only show the first half of the pilot last night? Yeesh. Then it's even harder to hang in there. You can do it Belle! I promise, it'll be worth it!! Give us 2-3 more weeks and you'll be a goner. [Smile]
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Kaylee's sweetness is somewhat overemphasized in the first part of "Serenity," but her character goes far deeper than the sugary surface. The thing about Kaylee is that she is a true, uninhibited spirit. In a way, she combines traits of two Buffy characters: she has the directness and unflinching honesty of Cordelia, combined with the optimism and smarts of Willow. She enjoys life to the fullest.

Wash (the pilot, Mr. Dinosaur Toys) is a kinda juvenile guy; like Kaylee, he doesn't take things too seriously. However, as you will find if you keep watching, he is a brilliant pilot and a man of principle. Not a fighter, though- he leaves that to Mal and Zoe. Speaking of Zoe, Wash and Zoe's marriage is one of the most realistically depicted marriages I've seen on television. They have their problems, but they are deeply in love despite their rather startling personality differences, and they work through them. No sitcom side plots, just two people trying to make a life in a tough situation. [Smile]

Jayne is a jerk, but not because he's evil or anything like that. He's just the epitome of Looking Out For Number One... at least, he starts out that way. Jayne's character arc is one of the most interesting on the show, and one of the few that actually gets enough time for serious development (most of the others are set up, but the series was cancelled before their arcs could really kick into gear).

Give it time, Belle. Firefly's greatest strength is its characters, who are all three-dimensional people with flaws and strengths and dreams. Through the 14 episodes, every single one of them demonstrates more depth than characters from series that ran for seven seasons.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'd like to add that if you don't like Firefly, then you don't like Firefly. Doesn't mean you're wrong or that "you just don't get it." Just because I really like it doesn't mean I can't get along with people that disagree.

I mean, I might not let my son marry your daughter, but... [Smile]

Narnia
Member # 1071

It's on again tonight! Don't forget to watch. [Smile]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they'd show it widescreen, though, the scene with Mal and Simon on the walkway wasn't nearly as good without being able to see Mal.

edit: best trailer yet.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, the trailer is really great.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/trailer_2/

It just showed up on Apple.com

GaalD
Member # 6222

I just saw the second part of The Pilot. That scene where Mal told Simon that Kaylee was dead was hysterical. I missed the beginning of one part tho, after the commercials because I was late in coming back. What did Simon tell the crew about River after they found about her? I read the synopsis on the episode and I know she's psychic and all, but what exactly did he say? I heard when he started talking about how she coded a message that she was in pain and he got her out. What happened right before? Also, does anyone know the name of the theme song on the intro? It's really catchy [Smile]
kwsni
Member # 1831

Google for Firefly transcripts, and you can find exactly what he said.

hmm. three trailers and still no Book. I want to see the Shepherd!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

There's the transcript Jaime. [Smile]

Joss Whedon actually wrote the theme song during the opening. It's all about Mal.

[ July 29, 2005, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

GaalD
Member # 6222

Thanks alot Narnia. Didn't realize I missed so much...
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Ooh... new trailer pretty!

Love the new Jayne moments. And Zoe gets to talk! Still no trailer-Book though. [Frown]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Offhand I can't think of any Book parts that wouldn't be spoilers if they were shown. JUst worked out that way.
kwsni
Member # 1831

::pout::

Not even a little flash shot?

Narnia: didn't want to directly link to it, cause transcripts seem kind of fuzzy copyright-wise.

Ni!

Narnia
Member # 1071

What link? [Razz]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That latest trailer is pretty good.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
I missed the beginning of one part tho, after the commercials because I was late in coming back. What did Simon tell the crew about River after they found about her?
That, bright as he is -- and he is -- River made him look stupid. She easily mastered everything she ever attempted, so they arranged to send her to a prestigious academy. After a few years he strated getting letters from her that were odd, mistyped, full of what he believed to be code.

quote:
Also, does anyone know the name of the theme song on the intro? It's really catchy [Smile]
It's "The Ballad of Serenity," words and music by Joss Whedon, sung by Sonny Rhodes.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.