FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Scotty's been beamed up =(

Author Topic: Scotty's been beamed up =(
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/ap_on_en_tv/obit_doohan

Star Trek was part of my childhood and even though Scotty really hasn't been in anything since (at least, not anything I would want to acknowlege) it's sad that he's gone.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
What a day this is turning out to be.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
aahhhhhhhh!

[Cry]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He'd been sick for quite some time -- even before the Alzheimer's was diagnosed. Didn't he survive two or three bouts with cancer?

I will always remember seeing him speak at cons. He was so full of life and joy.

Fare thee well, Jimmy.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

quote:
The powerfully built Doohan, a veteran of D-Day in Normandy
I never knew that about him.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
At least, if he'd only had Alzheimer's a year, the disease probably didn't have a chance to ravage his mind too horribly before he went. I'd much rather die while still somewhat myself than survive long enough for Alzheimer's to rob me of who I am.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
He was pretty messed up long before bowing out in 2004. I saw him a few years before and he had a lot of difficulty talking, using his hands and getting around. He did have a nifty scooter with Shuttlecraft-like coloring and "Galileo" on the side. Sad news, though.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Just read it on CNN. I am totally bummed.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no!

I met him once when I was working at the PacSci center and he opened the "Science of Star Trek" exhibit.

This is so sad.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
He was the only reason I ever bothered to watch any of the Star Trek films, the ones he was in at least! This ruins my day! [Cry]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Romanylass...
When were you working at the PacSci center? I was there for the science of ST exhibit!

I will miss hearing his "Are ye daft?" lines.
Godspeed, Mr. Doohan....

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna miss him. He was always my favorite from Star Trek.

And the last red shirt from the series fades away.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best Engineers around
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought "Scotty" was the owner's new nickname! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I like Captain Kirk, but I sure don't like Bill. He's so insecure that all he can think about is himself."
Yeouch!
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this article about him. I still grab the mouse on my computer occasionally and in frustration, say to it "Hello, computer."

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/635/635175p1.html

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I just read this on BBC. [Frown]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
He had a great guest spot on the old Ben Stiller show, playing himself with Ben completely geeking out and wanting to just talk about Star Trek the whole time instead of doing skits.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
One more.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/chi-brotman-blog,0,2783990.column

I bet that Star Trek helped James Doohan keep feeling young also.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
The original Star Trek series was an important part of my childhood which I continue to enjoy through this day. That original series really had heart, and Scotty was an integral part of it. It's hard to believe he's gone.

I was fortunate to have seen James Doohan at a convention once, in 2000 I think, and that was a good time! He really had the whole room going with his fun stories and humor.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The universe canna take much more o this!

By Scotty!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather's last words to my mom were "Beam me up Scotty"
[Frown]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

quote:
Originally posted by Sopwith:
Gonna miss him. He was always my favorite from Star Trek.

And the last red shirt from the series fades away.

The last red shirt? Didn't O'hara have a red shirt? Did she die?
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean Uhura? Yes, Nichelle Nichols is still alive.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good. [Smile]

The only ones who have died so far are Bones and Scotty right?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think so. At least, I can't think of any others that I've heard of.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what people will say when Shatner finally stuffs himself into a girdle for the last time. . .
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

..girdle? [Confused]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.