FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your own incantation

Author Topic: Your own incantation
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Ala Harry Potter, if you could create a magic incantation, what would it be and what would it do?

Mine would be comprendo computum, wherein I could pull out my training pointer (a cleverly disguised wand) point it at a client, and with these magic words convey basic computer understanding. Not the skills, just the underlying basic understanding that some people just seem to inherently lack. This sudden understanding would sweep away their mild (and sometimes not so mild) panic at the presence of a keyboard and monitor (that's the thing with the buttons and the glass screen, respectively).

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Septo Compleetia
Causes the seventh book of a series to be finished and available in bookstores.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
cantorum bellissima

This would be for me to use on myself or any of my students and choir members when my/their warbling is less than delightful. I would simply point my wand (disguised as a pencil) in their general direction during rehearsal. [Big Grin]

I like this idea.

Enigmatic, I think that Rowling has some serious counter-charm security in case someone tries to cast a spell like that on her. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine would have to be Ignoramus Finito. I would point my wand (cleverly disguised as a computer mic) at truly ignorant people ( by this I mean people who could learn if they chose to, but they are either too lazy or just don't care) and they would become learned [pronounced lurn- ed]! Or maybe Petrificus Lingua! which would allow me to stop boring people from droning on and on about things that no one wants to hear.
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
relocatus felicitas (nowhere near good Latin, but since it's a Harry Potter spell, how it sounds is more important, right?)

Sorts, packs, and seals boxes, relocates them to your new dwelling place, and cleans up after itself.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
MMm, I like that one KQ.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Felix ocsuras

It would change my TV to the Odd Couple. [Big Grin]

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know latin.....so.....it would be:

Multiplus Timex, a spell to make more than one of me able to be at more than one place at different points in time.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, bummer that all the Ministry's stock of Time Turners got destroyed, eh? [Smile]

kq, I'd use yours in a heart beat. We have so much packing to do yet, and our move date is less than two weeks away.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

See the difference between a Time Turner and my incantation is that the incantation makes multiple copies of me. Therefore, I can go to soccer practice and cross country practice at the same time, without risking seeing myself and making something bad happen. Though, unlike Calvin with his Duplicator, I am mentally connected to each copy and control all of his actions. Its a very detailed incantation.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Multiplus Timex
Be careful with that one. If you botch it, you may land up with lots and lots of cheap watches.

Diminitus Gravitiis!, wherein I effortlessly lose weight and fit into that special party dress;

Terpsikor Gracilis!, and I have marvelous grace on the dance floor.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I already have lots and lots of cheap watches, so I don't think that would bother me much. By the way, is there a website to convert normal words into latin somewhere? So I can do this right....
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is real Latin. More like Mock Latin. Fake it!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That was what I was trying to do. I can't fake Latin because I don't know any latin words.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

But here 's a site I found a-googling.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Any English words that sound all highfalutin are likely of Latin etymology.

Highfalutin Lingua! -- a spell that makes stupid people think you are smarter than they are.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Ocis prolutum :

For those mornings when I feel too tired to shower.

Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Comprendus Totalum

Grants the person performing the charm the ability to instantly understand anything that is read or heard, as well as to articulately and accurately share such comprehension and any new ideas it generates. Handy for those late-night cramming sessions, and filing your taxes.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
cleanus

Because I hate cleaning so much... I just want everything to magically get clean so I don't have to do it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Formidilosus Datum; To give one such a powerful fear that they are unable to function properly

Formidilosus Attero ; To dispell any fear

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Subvertio ignavus: To destroy laziness. You know you (or someone else) needs to do something, but you just can't get the energy to do it? Zap yourself (or someone else) wity this spell and get on truckin'!
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kq, I'd use yours in a heart beat. We have so much packing to do yet, and our move date is less than two weeks away.
*snort* Yeah, know how I came up with that? We still have a ton of stuff to pack, and Emma and I leave in 6 days.

Problem would be that we don't have a place to live for sure yet, and if we did, we wouldn't be able to pay for the first month's rent and deposit... [Angst]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Honeydolistus Completus

pretty self-evident, I think. [Wink]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Climatus Perfecto!!

Perfect weather and adjusts the temperature in the house for you to be absolute perfect! Which doesn't matter if your married cause it will just be adjusted 5 more degrees cooler anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, how does that packing spell work again??
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Histoicus Cogoius (sorry don't know latin)

It lets you know what would have happened had you made a different decision in your life, only for advanced wizards who know the consequences of using such a spell. With slight trickery, it could also be used to go back in time and experience what it was like to go down that different life path without damaging your current one, also only for advanced wizards.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jenny-- Destination, Determination, Despairation... [Wink]
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I don't know latin, either, so... let's keep things simple. My spell would just be BLAMMO and would shoot a large, firey ball out of my wand that would cause big holes in things. Duels would be approximately 67% funnier.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Not if there's a big hole in you!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I once played D&D with a group from the military. When one mage went to cast a spell, he recited the following:

"Harrier, Harrier, Aircraft Carrier"

I informed the gentleman that I doubted modern munitions would work in this world, and since we were on dry land, a large ship would not be too useful. He informed me that a large aircraft carrier, fully loaded with standard provisions, falling from the sky would more than likely destroy any given enemy, regardles of saving throws.

or

"Nerdonic Translaton" which would allow me to understand most technical components, devices, and manuals.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My spell would just be BLAMMO and would shoot a large, firey ball out of my wand that would cause big holes in things.
*eyebrow raised

(what was that quote about Superman and tissue paper?)

Edited to add: Treo rechargitrus

Anyone who's ever tried to call me on my cell phone can figure that one out.

Dang machines.

*shakes stick

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Homo silencio, which would have the effect of putting me in a Cone of Silence, thoroughly blocking out all sounds from more than a 2 foot radius. No more naggy bosses (and better, no more argumentative moronic litigators that sit straight across the walk from me), no more screechy secretaries from the other side of the room, no more telephones, and at times, no more fighting kids.

And as a corollary, Homo desmellius, which would block all colognes, perfumes, body odors, etc from reaching my nose. These guys - especially mister argumentative above - are going to put me in the hospital one of these days.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with sulum lingua which would let me (or someone else) speak any language perfectly.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What I need is-
One of those daydream boxes the Weasley twins had. That would be so cool/
And I need a way to pay attention instead of having a brain like drunk hummingbirds like I have had all week.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! Eurika! I have it:

Petroleum Perpetuum! Magically refills your gas tank whenever you get to 1/4 tank so you never run out of gas...bonus; in whatever automobile you are in!

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Carp Diem!

We get fish every day.

Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Mosquitos Mortus!

Would kill all mosquitoes in a 10-yard radius from me. Ugh. Disgusting creatures.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Soporific!

Cures Beanny's insomnia

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.