FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Phantom Battery

Author Topic: The Phantom Battery
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
For quite a while, probably over a month, the clock in our kitchen has had a dying battery. The second hand quivered around the 37 minute mark, not having enough power to make it up to the top of the circle. As I said, it did this for a quite a while. We both knew the battery was gone. We would need to replace it. But being that the microwave had a clock, it wasn't high on the list of priorities.

Several days ago, we noticed that the time on the clock was in a different position. Closer inspection showed that the second hand was now ticking normally around the clock. The first time I saw it, I thought that my husband had changed the battery--although I thought it was odd that he hadn't set the correct time. A day or so later, I asked him about it. He thought I had done it. I hadn't. Neither of us touched that clock. Last night, as an expirement to see if it was keeping correct time, I set the clock. This morning, it was still the right time. It had kept time perfectly.

We're pretty freaked out. Has anyone EVER heard of a battery spontaneously working again?! We live in an apartment, and the apartments' main office has a key... would they come in, see our messy apartment and decide to change a battery? Did a thief break in, take pity on us, and change the battery for us rather than steal something?

What happened?!

Any ideas?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
You've probably got a funky connection somewhere in the clock. I'm not convinced the battery was ever dead in the first place.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was dead... I think it was on its deathbed and received a miracle healing!

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Praise Jebus!
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
How has the weather been where you are? Because, as I am sure you know, heat is a form of energy. And if there was a shift in temperature from hot to cool to hot to cool (perhaps you are turning on the air conditioning when you come home? Or your kitchen is heating up when you are running the oven?), the battery (which, I am sure you know, is an energy storage device), may be absorbing the heat in the room (via heat conduction, radiation, and convection, and the law of enthalpy) and storing it, releasing it when the temperature is cooler, so that it is being recharged through the change in potential energy as represented by the change in temperature gradient.

(Shvester Esther's science fiction account of how clock batteries work)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the battery was dying? Perhaps the hand or the driving gear was slightly misshapen, and the kink's worked itself out.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Tante's explanation better. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
SCIENCE!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, you'll discover everything in the seventh book.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, remind me to never have you substitute for my chemistry or physics class. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Tante, remind me to never have you substitute for my chemistry or physics class. [Wink]

Um...any availability for creative writing?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.