FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Famous Mormons (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Famous Mormons
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Did he have to swear?
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any Mormon WWF wrestlers on that list. [Frown]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sad for the Mormons or for the wrestlers?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Both. [Cry]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it makes you feel better, SS, my uncle, (who is not LDS but does have a "close relative" who is LDS-- me!) was SWWF Announcer of the Year a couple of years ago. He even got his own action figure. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, I wanted to clarify one more thing in response to a comment of yours.

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Does it bother any other LDS how mediocre this list is?
Not really. I don't think our success as the Kingdom of God will be measured by our performers.

I wasn't really thinking of entertainment, so much. For instance, Ghandi was Jainist, Mother Theresa was Catholic, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Baptist. Each of these were inspired by their religion to make significant contributions to society for the betterment of the world, and each is justly quite famous, though not because they sought fame for its own sake.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that there are no LDS yet who have attained that level of recognition?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
We're only 1-2% of the population of the United States, and a much SMALLER proportion when compared to the population of the world, so the chance of a Mormon becoming one of the .000000001% of humanity that ever becomes GREAT PEOPLE is really, really, REALLY remote.

It may happen someday. But it's rare enough that you don't really expect it to happen more than once to a group our size. I mean, can you name a world-renowned Jain BESIDES Gandhi?

EDIT: Was he really a Jain? I didn't realize that ... of course, they are the religion that takes the concept of "do no harm" much further than any other I'm aware of. It would make sense. But still, I'd never heard it before.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
As for Mother Theresa, many people do not think she deserves her fame. Infamy, maybe, but not fame.

Just a point of view there. (I'm not saying I subscribe to it, please don't jump me.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
I don't see any Mormon WWF wrestlers on that list. [Frown]

No, nor any Mormon 7-foot-tall sword-swallowing, fire-eating, bed-of-nails-laying, insect-eating, escaping-from-a-straight-jacket carnival geek types. But I know of at least one, and one would think he would be eligible for that list, as he has had film and tv roles and has been on several Discovery Channel/Learning Channel programs about people who do that sort of thing. His brother is a friend of mine, which is how I know him.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Was he ever on The X-Files? *curious*
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Was he ever on The X-Files? *curious*

Not that I know of. However, he was in "Big Fish". If you've seen that, he was the fire-eater in the fur get-up who gets sent away from the carnival when the really tall guy gets there. I'm not sure about the other things he's been in. His name is George McArthur and he has a listing on imdb.com. Oh, and he's also got a website here..
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I mentioned to my mother last month that there were alternative views on Mother Theresa, and she did not take that very well at all. I told her I did not necessarily take that view but she seemed utterly appalled that I even considered it worth bringing up. I think I really shocked her.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I don't mention it to my aunt. Ever.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too many famous black LDS.

It's a pretty white bunch.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Gladys Knight, I guess. Sister Knight rawks! [Smile]

As for overall, the bishop of my last ward was black, and the congregation was about even black and white. In this ward we're about 10%-20% black, judging by looking around at sacrament meeting. I think the wards in Africa are mostly black. We're a pretty mixed bunch, though, throughout the world.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.