FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where do you think you will be five years later ?

Author Topic: Where do you think you will be five years later ?
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, Do you believe you manage your dreams or not ?

For me, I think i may change working in my company to work to another. I think i will stay in Paris, because i love this city. But i don't know if i will be maried. If i will have a child. This is the most unknown in my life.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
wonderful idea for a thread!

In five years my oldest child will be entering her senior year in high school. My twins will be 10. [Eek!]

If everything goes well I will have completed both my undergraduate, possibly even my graduate. If so, I'll have a job, so my daily life will be vastly different than it is now. My husband might still be doing the same things, but then again he may be in school himself, he's mulling over the prospect of going to seminary after I finish school.

As for what personal goals and dreams I hope to have accomplished - I really would like to have completed a novel by then. I've been writing a long time, but have only finished short stories and article-length nonfiction. Other than that, the mere accomplishment of finishing school is definitely a worthy goal and it's what I'll primarily be focused on as far as my own personal goals. We have goals as a family too, that Wes and I have discussed, most of them financial and related to eliminating debt and saving toward things we'd really like to have.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh I don't like questions like that because it's asking me to figure out what I want to do after I graduate college. ::shudders at the thought of the real world::
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixar. [Monkeys]

If I can figure out how to get this darn character to look like he's actually pushing a heavy box up a hill, that is. [Razz]

I am such a dork. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be on a stage, somewhere, anywhere! Whether it's the dazzling lights of Broadway, or an elementary school auditorium, teaching kids, I will be on a stage, singing, performing!

At least, I hope so.

I don't know when I'll get married, I don't know if it will be five years from now, probably not... I'm in no particular hurry! But I do want to get married eventually.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be on a booksigning tour with Fahim, each of us promoting our own books. [Big Grin] And we'll be creating more worlds and universes together and having a ball. I, of course, will sell more books than he. But that's simply a product of me being a more prolific writer than he is. [Big Grin] [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*can't comprehend that natalie will be a high school senior in five years*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You think you can't!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
A good chunk of the way into my PhD, finished with classes and spending my time doing research for my thesis, which will likely involve traveling around and doing original data collection, as my area of study hasn't been around long enough to have much data available on a lot of things. If a journal hasn't been created by someone else for my subfield, I'll likely be trying to persuade a professor to found and manage one.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't even being to imagine her mother's uncomprehension. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Me in five years - absolutely no clue whatsoever.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I will have graduated from University and should have a job doing something-I-don't-know-what-yet.

[Smile]

I guess I'm going along the lines of Boris- I don't have much of an idea.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
eithe in a game design college or working. But playing video games in ym spare time.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest child will be (gasp!) 6. I'll probably have at least one more in there, and either one on the way, or one just born. Hopefully, Jeff's work will by then be paying him enough that he can be either in school or just finished. If just finished, he'll probably be studying for his CPA exam. Maybe we'll have enough debt paid off we can be saving to buy a house (which is going to take quite a while.)

Oh, wow, and my husband will be 30, and I'll be 27! [Eek!]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
By then, hopefully, I would have already graduated high school, finished my army service(as an officer in the military intelligence!), went off on an around-the-world-one-year-long trip, and came back to study in the University.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great topic! I was just talking about this with my dad this morning.

In five years I'll be 34. At that point I will have finished the coursework part of my PhD- which I'm starting this fall. I will be quitting my current job as a teacher to to begin the research portion. I'd like to be married at that point- but I'm very uncertain about that part of my life.

I like having a plan- however the plan is always subject to change. [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
In five years, I hope to have two children, a house, and a good part-time job I can do while staying at home with my children. I also hope to have a piano so I can get back in practice. Maybe I will have finished a novel by then, but right now I'm wondering how much that really matters to me anymore.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
In 5 years, I will be in third year university. Probably studying engineering but it might also be geography. I will most likely be going to the University of Waterloo. I don't think I can predict any thing past that.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
everything_theory
Member # 8333

- posted      Profile for everything_theory   Email everything_theory         Edit/Delete Post 
Five years... have my degree in Physics. Have my EMT certification. Probably be on a wait-list for starting my training as a firefighter. Hopefully with or married to the girl of my dreams, she knows who she is. She will have her own children's line with a certain clothing company or be working for Ralph Lauren. Maybe a child... I hope.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
In five years, I'll be 26.

Ideally, I'll still be in Michigan, graduated from undergrad, teaching, doing my grad school work while teaching, and sharing a house with my best friend, as we've always talked about being room mates when we get out of school.

Also, by the time I'm 25 I hope to start seriously working on a great children's book story idea I've had in the back of my head for years now. Every now and then I pull it out and work on it a bit, but I hope to be settled enough to really get into it in a couple years.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
In five years I'll be 25.

I'll be in the "all-but-dissertation" stage of a Ph.d in Economics, having already finished with course work and comps. No clue what university or area of the country/world.

I'll be married (already got the chap picked out [Smile] ), and possibly considering children, depending on how flexible my teaching and research is.

I'd also like to do a triathlon by then, but health problems may get in the way of that goal. Oh, and I want to be semi-fluent in either Bengali or Hindi.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be 24, going into my second year teaching elementary school, somewhere at least a few hour from here. I will be in a somewhat serious relationship, but not married quite yet. I will still be friends with some of my friends from now, but many other people too. And I'll probably still be on hatrack.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be 20, out of school, and on the loose for two years. There's a fat/slim chance that Earth will remain standing.

I'll be a virgin who's probably run away from Israel and went off to live in England or Australia, and studying in University - assuming I have money, wiping all traces of origination in a nation that will become a zealots' battlefield.

Or I may be in that nation's army. If I'm unlucky.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I can't even answer what part of the country or world I'll be in in a month and a half. My current ideas for the next while include moving to Thunder Bay with a friend, going to college in Toronto for jazz, going to circus school in Montreal, moving to Nunavut (probably Iqaluit, or somewhere in NWT or YT) to work in archaeology, moving to Ireland (or Scotland) just because or moving to Nova Scotia just because. I'd like to go to some part of southern Africa at some point too. Ummmmm....huh. Yeah. So no idea whatsoever.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I should be 42, nearing my masters degree in kung fu, my oldest will be 16 and finally able to put on a black belt if he continues his interest.

Assuming, for the moment, that recants his current desire not to ever drive, he should also be getting ready for his license. My world should become exponentially more expensive at that time.

I may still be here in South Carolina, but I really don't know what the future holds for me. I may change any one of a hundred decisions I've made in the last year -- employment, relationship, location, plans for the future... I do hope to continue working out, and hope that in the next five years my body will actually improve, rather than degenerate (yes, I know, it's late to be hoping for that, but I'm making great strides at the moment). Perhaps I will have found a way to make it as a songwriter or even a just plain writer by then or something...

I'm no different than someone who's just graduated college, in a lot of ways... except I have five kids and I'm a lot older...

but my sky is wide, wide open...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] at Jim-Me
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be most of the way through my PhD (as well), and preparing to get the invitation for my 10-year high school reunion. I should be living in yet another state, going to yet another university, though with the best luck, I'll be out of the country studying.

All I know for a fact is that I'll still be in school and I'll still speak English. And odds are, I'll probably still be around here.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
In five years I hope to be one of the first space tourists. That would be teh awesome.

Wow. I can't think of a whole lot besides watching my kids grow up. I'll have a 9-year-old and a 7-year-old in 5 years, plus who knows what else. I hope to continue to be able to support my family well, I guess.

Maybe it's time to work out some long-term goals for myself.

Oh yeah, since everyone's putting in their age: I'll be 36, starting the irrevocable slide into 40. [Angst]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be 28.

Hopefully I'll be starting, in the middle of, or finishing a PhD in law, after a few years full time work as a lawyer. Either that or I'll have given law up completely and be on a totally different, probably creative, career path.

I imagine I will also be pregnant, or have had my (our) first child.

Tony will still be writing. His books will be translated into other languages (yeah!) and also be published in America. He will get flown over to the US to do book tours and I will come with him and meet you all. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
After a time of though, I notice that a dream may be to be a writer. Not in English, of course. But i'd like that. I write so beautiful than i speak. Why not be a writer ? So i continue to train me in my blog (in french). And when i need change my mind in my work, I write a novel.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished with my Phd. Beyond that, I have no idea. I'll be 27.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a 4-and-a-half-year-old daughter (and hopefully another child) and be living my dream of being a stay-at-home mom. Hopefully, we'll have settled down somewhere and finally bought a house.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.