FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I stumbled on to a marijuana plant...

Author Topic: I stumbled on to a marijuana plant...
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I was giving my newly arrived exchange student a tour around the farm. We were walking around, I was pointing out all the animals, and when I pointed out the hay field, I saw a rather tall plant. I ignored it at first, but as I came closer, I realized what it was and i said, "Holy F**k". My exchange student said "What" and all I could say was, "S**t"... Then my exchange student saw it too and we had a few minutes of standing and starring... Then we rushed back to the house to look up pictures of marijuana plants.... It is definitely weed.... I have a 7 foot tall Marijuana plant growing in the middle of my hay field... I know I have to get rid of it... but I can't bring myself to just hack it down.... [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Could easily be hemp.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is the exact same species of plant.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Precisely.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
At any rate i'm fairly sure it's illegal to have around.... and I don't have the best of luck at not getting caught... I'm sure i'm going to just hack it down and get rid of it, but i still have to freak out a bit...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, how did it get there? *curious*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC correctly, it's not illegal to have around. It's just illegal to cultivate it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the plant just grew there naturally. The cannibus plant was around for a long time before people started cultivating it for hemp or for THC.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I have a suspicion that a few of my friends who claim because they knew what that I don't want them to smoke weed around my place, don't smoke weed around my place. probably do smoke once in a while, and they probably dropped some seeds or something.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Worst. Sentence. Ever.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know] What?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid, spooky moment. I thought that the laughing demon was really you. [Angst]
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the problem... why can't you just cut it down? If it's growing wild, you can hardly be blamed for planting it, especially if you chop it down and get rid of it!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard farmers have to deal with this all the time. Don't just cut it down, pull it up by the roots and either burn it or let it rot somewhere. If it's already gone to seed, you may have a recurring problem in that location.

Basically, you don't want to get caught by law enforcement having that growing out there. It's not that they usually go after farmers for infestations of hemp, but they could hassle you about it.

You could take a witness with you when you pull it out so someone can verify that you weren't trying to cultivate it or something.

You don't really need to report it or anything. Just get rid of it.

(oh, and don't even mention the opium poppy field. That'll really get you in hot water!)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
PS:

Those of you living in Hawaii, if you stumble on a field of marijuana...run the other way!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
If you choose to burn it, make sure there isn't anyone around to get high off the smoke.(anyone seen Without a Paddle, the dogs in the burning pot field scene?)
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what I'd reccomend to a client if he came to me with this. Interesting problem.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how to get you some good cash for the plant... I know my friend's friends' acquaintences can find ways to get it through.

We're talking fifth party here. [Razz]

Now, seriously - get rid of it, or be a good citizen, report it and ask what to do with it.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know we discussed what to do with it in government class, and since my government teacher lives in smithville, I say give him a call. I'll IM you his name in case you don't know who I mean.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that marijuana plants have been responsible for innumerable stumbling incidents.

My advice is to pull it up and discard it in an inconspicuous spot to decompose.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you choose to burn it, make sure there isn't anyone around to get high off the smoke.
Worst. Advice. Ever.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
My advice is to pull it up and discard it in an inconspicuous spot to decompose.
And for the exchange student to find? [Razz]
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
"And for the exchange student to find"?

Hence the term: inconspicuous.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep it for... mediciinal... purposes...

Damn there has to be a shifty eyed graemlin somewhere...

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

the without a paddle scene.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
easy way to get rid of it:

pull it up by the roots
seperate the leaves from the main plant
hang the leaves upside down in a dark, humid room until they begin to crumble
and then bag and sell for 100 bucks* an ounce

*prices may vary with region and availability

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the courts have put paid to this by now, but for a while, in some states, having this on your property was used as grounds for taking your land. It didn't matter if you had anything to do with it or not.

Possession is illegal, whether you cultivate it or not. It isn't reasonable to prosecute someone for something he had nothing to do with, but it is something that happens, and not just with marijuana.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoralDK
Member # 8395

- posted      Profile for MoralDK   Email MoralDK         Edit/Delete Post 
Trail Camera

Post the pics!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Birds LOVE marijuana seeds. So it's a bit worthless to suspect your friends when it coulda been seeded from bird poop. Attracting birds to spread its seeds is why hemp produces the buds in the first place.

Without seeing it, I'd guess it was hemp from WWII plantings for the war effort. Hemp is a particularly pernicious weed in the Midwest. There are farms which have been herbicided for 60years which still sprout the stuff up.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I found out a couple weeks ago that the unfinished closet/attic space in my attic bedroom was used for a sketchy hydroponics lab by the previous tenants. I *am* glad the smell didn't linger...
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wild marijuana or hemp usually has very very low levels of the THC needed to get high, and is of very poor quality. Almost all farmers I know have had it show up wild/volunteer at different times -- birds spread seeds, etc. Not a big deal. Most people in the midwest just ignore it - because it if is just growing wild, it isn't the type to be worth smoking.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wild marijuana or hemp usually has very very low levels of the THC needed to get high, and is of very poor quality. Almost all farmers I know have had it show up wild/volunteer at different times -- birds spread seeds, etc. Not a big deal. Most people in the midwest just ignore it - because it if is just growing wild, it isn't the type to be worth smoking.
...the point being: Stand directly in the smoke when you burn it.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Lol... Actually, I think I'm going to trade it to a friend (police officer) of mine, for a bottle of Bourbon... You see, I called this friend and asked him how to best deal with it. He came out to look at it and informed me that it is in fact the "good" kind. He took the plant and is going to show it to some of the cadets at IU (he teaches some sort of drug class)... While he was taking it I made a comment about how it'd be worth quite a bit to certain people. He turned around and told me a fifth of bourbon sounded like a fair trade... lol...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Smoke it up. You kidding me? How is this a dilemma?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that in order to get high off that wild marijuana, you'd need to smoke hundreds of pounds using a bong the approximate size of a telephone pole. IIRC, the real stuff is modified and grown for it's higher THC content.

In other words, Farmgirl is right. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Now here's an example of a weed becoming valuable! It's just a plant, you know.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard that in order to get high off that wild marijuana, you'd need to smoke hundreds of pounds using a bong the approximate size of a telephone pole.
Where did you hear that? And who actually tried it? And where would a person keep a bong like that?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And where would a person keep a bong like that?
[ROFL]

(that SO made me think of Cheech and Chong)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wracked my brain and I can't remember from where, but it was a solid source. I do remember the source having enough credibility, scientifically, that I believed it.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably just Industrial hemp, not potent enough to get a buzz, wild hemp groes all throughout the U.S.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Except that he said that his cop friend said it's "the good kind". [Dont Know]
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend whose neighbor grew pot in their backyard. Seeds kept making it over to his yard and little marijuana plants kept popping up. Maybe somebody in JT Stryker's area is growing "the good kind" and a seed made it over to his place.

[EDIT: or what he said. [Razz]
quote:
I have a suspicion that a few of my friends who claim because they knew what that I don't want them to smoke weed around my place, don't smoke weed around my place. probably do smoke once in a while, and they probably dropped some seeds or something.
]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While he was taking it I made a comment about how it'd be worth quite a bit to certain people. He turned around and told me a fifth of bourbon sounded like a fair trade...
sounds like corruption to me.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.