FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mayfly (?) Talking Cabbage!

Author Topic: Mayfly (?) Talking Cabbage!
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this would be a mayfly (I'm learning, hopefully!)

Recently I heard someone say I was "talking cabbage." I didn't think about it at the time and wasn't able to ask them what they meant at the time. At any rate, what the heck does "talking cabbage" mean? Would it be the same as "talking crap"? (that's not too extreme for Hatrack, is it?)

Thanks

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhyming slang for 'garbage', perhaps?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Not that it's particularly important, but the fellow talking was Welsh - I'm reluctant to jump on "talking cabbage" as a British thing since there's an enormous amount of American slang and phrases that I'm not familiar with.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
What did you say to him that made him tell you that you were "talking cabbage"?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

I was on a three way call that went, approximately, like this:

Friend A: Are you guys up to play street hockey next week?

Me (Bryan): I am

Friend B: Bryan, you're always talking cabbage. I'm up, though.

Since I feel odd using a telephone to talk to more than one person at a time, I didn't respond. I suppose I could always ask the guy what he meant, but I don't know him very well.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
No idea about the talking cabbage thing. But this isn't a mayfly unless you're planning to get rid of it soon. Definition of mayfly.
quote:
A mayfly is a thread that will probably be deleted by the person who started it. The name comes from mayflies, insects with very short lives.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Well, yes. I was planning on deleting it after I got it figured out.

I simple assumed that it was more likely that "talking cabbage" was a common term that I happen to be ignorant of than it having somewhat (apparently) obscure meaning.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops. [Blushing]

I tried googling it and came up with nothing but a bunch of talking cabbage patch dolls. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:

I tried googling it and came up with nothing but a bunch of talking cabbage patch dolls. [Dont Know]

Hm. There might be something to that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.