FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rosewood's significance?

Author Topic: Rosewood's significance?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I am rediscovering an old, briefly popular band that I really really like called Black Lab.

They have a song called "ten million years" and there's a ine from the chorus that I really like...
quote:
I love you more than I should
I'd wrap my heart in bands of rosewood

but it sounds to me like the choice of rosewood here has some significance. Anyone have any idea what it might be?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Rose=romance....hart=romance.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Rosewood was often the wood of choice for making vampire-poking stakes...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've come to the conclusion that sometimes instead of having any real meaning, lyrics just rhyme.

Witness Chicago's "25 or 624" or any of the Bob Dylan opus.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sopwith:
Rosewood was often the wood of choice for making vampire-poking stakes...

Good golly! I've been using T-Bones. No wonder it hasn't been working very well.

(and why don't we have a fang-graemlin?)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Rosewood is a beautiful wood, but you have to be careful when working on it. Its sawdust can wreak havok on your lungs. Make sure you wear a mask when working with it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Very expensive?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Thorns?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Rosewood is a beautiful wood, but you have to be careful when working on it. Its sawdust can wreak havok on your lungs. Make sure you wear a mask when working with it.

If the guy is planning to wrap his heart in bands of rosewood, I would think, medically speaking, that the sawdust in the lungs is not his primary problem.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Witness Chicago's "25 or 624"
Um, this is in jest?

It's "25 or 6 to 4," as in 3:35 or 3:34--a time of day--or rather, night, in this case.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I've been waiting for the break of day.
And searching for something to say.

I've been sitting cross-legged. On the floor.
25 or 6 to 4.

Oh, thanks, Icky. That makes LOTS more sense now.

Icarus
Member # 3162

::fiddles with his irony detector::

Hmm . . . :-\

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Rosewood is the wood of choice for high-end solo martial arts weapons. They are solo weapons because a weapon made from rosewood is so expensive that nobody is willing to risk them breaking.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Wasn't there some significance to rosewood in Revelation/Apocalypse? Like, a sign of the apocalypse or something like that?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

If I were writing pop lyrics, I'd be sure to throw in an obscure reference here and there, so that people could debate what it means and think that I am deep and intellectual-like.
dkw
Member # 3264

It is also a wood of choice for making guitars. So it would make sense that a musician would think of it as a valuable wood.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's also the name of a town in Florida where a horrible atrocity took place.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

And they made a movie about it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It apparently corresponds to Queen/Mother goddesses.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that seriously what 25 or 6 to 4 means?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yep.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That is SO deep, dude.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
cool... thanks for all the input... and keep them coming.

It is a wood of choice for music instruments, particularly for fret boards, less so for bodies pf acoustic guitars.

and it is very beautiful...

but I like the vampire one... it fits the mood of the music very well [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Here are the lyrics. You be the judge: deep and meaningful, or just trying to find things that rhyme.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.