FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Magic Street worth it?

Author Topic: Is Magic Street worth it?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there people out there who were, like me, severely disappointed by the Shadow series and Crystal City who have read Magic Street? If so, what did you think of it? I'm looking for books, but I'm leery of buying a current OSC hardback without some pretty good reviews from people with a similar perspective and what I've read on Amazon isn't confidence-inspiring.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a great place to be asking this question, Squicky. The politeness police are gonna get you.

I can't answer your question, though. Haven't read it, Shadow of the Giant or Crystal City yet.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
(edit: Sorry, that level of snarkiness wasn't really called for.)
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
People, you can still be a fan of an author without loving every book, you know... [Big Grin]

I liked CC, better than I liked HF, so I can't answer that. I have read part of MS, and plan on buying it soon, though.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, it wouldn't take too much for you to type a WORD here and there. *wink* I have to think too hard deciphering your acronyms.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I'm looking for books, but I'm leery of buying a current OSC hardback without some pretty good reviews from people with a similar perspective

If the answer to this is obvious, please forgive me, but why don't you go to the library and read it and then choose if you want to buy it in hardback? I noticed that the Free Library of Philadelpia has quite a few copies checked in.

If, of course, your request is just to find out if the book is worth reading (as opposed to buying) then please ignore me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very pleased with the Shadow Series, wanted a little more out of Crystal City, but Magic Street has a totally different feeling to those stories. It has a very modern feeling to it. I suggest you buy, support OSC [Big Grin]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a lot closer to Enchantment, I thought. And I really like Enchantment.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Magic Street a great deal, for what it's worth. There's one credibility-shaking moment, IMO, but it's minor.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the answer to this is obvious, please forgive me, but why don't you go to the library and read it and then choose if you want to buy it in hardback?
That's what I did. In fact I still have the book at my house. I'm sure it's overdue and I'm making someone on the waiting list a little upset.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I never use libraries for the same reason I don't rent movies from Blockbuster. I just can't seem to return them in any semblance of a reasonable time. The cost of overdue fines 6 years later is more than the book would have cost me. This is why I still have Rhenquist's book sitting on a bookshelf after I checked it out 5 years ago.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it. It reminded me of Enchantment as well.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*echoes Chris and Rakessh*

It made me laugh a lot. Card sure likes his off-colour jokes.

edit: adds another e to the word echoes

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not much of a fan of the Shadow series (except for Ender's Shadow) and Crystal City didn't knock my socks off, but I thoroughly enjoyed Magic Street.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
With rakeesh and tom saying it was enjoyable, I think I'll be purchasing magic street. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.