FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who would win in a fight? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Who would win in a fight?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah or bust!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would win in a fight, American Express or Orient Express?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by miles_per_hour:
That's crazy talk. Lizard men aren't real.

Nonsense... why, I talked to Slash the Berzerker just Monday...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would win in a fight, popcorn or Pop Rocks?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Pop Rocks have that crazy zing in your mouth but popcorn is kinda crazy when it pops. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

So, it's a toss-up!

Who would win in a fight, kojabu or Pikachu?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-oh. Is Porter becoming Jon Boy?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Rico
Member # 8406

- posted      Profile for Uncle Rico   Email Uncle Rico         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uh-oh. Is Porter becoming Jon Boy?
[Angst]

MPH

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
So, it's a toss-up!

Who would win in a fight, kojabu or Pikachu?

I would. Of course. Humans are better than pokemon!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Who would win in a fight, Ralph Kramden or Ralph Lauren?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Who would win in a fight, Jon Boy or Por—

Yeah, never mind.

I still have more screen names, though. For the moment.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

where is the fight taking place? in battle school or wizarding world? or a battle school in the wizarding world!
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Well lets examine the strengths and weaknesses of each group. I'm assuming we have an equal number of both combatants. I'm also going to assume that either both sides are composed of all males, or that both sides have an equal number of males and females.

Furthermore, I will define "cave-man" to refer to a group of technologically primitive homo sapiens, and not some proto-humans like homo-erectus (and will avoid the whole Neanderthal debate altogether).

Astronaut Strengths:
Every single astronaut has to be in tip-top shape both mentally and physically. These are not your average nerds. They need to be able to run and swim long distances without tiring, be in excellent health, and have 20/20 vision. In addition, they have to all be some of the most intelligent and creative people around. They would almost certainly be taller than the cave-men (perhaps by several inches), having been raised with relatively incredible nutrition. They have highly advanced language and learning systems compared to the cave-men.

Weaknesses: Have probably never crafted a primitive weapon. Probably have never killed any person, or even any animal.

Cave-men Strengths:
The process of natural selection was in full force, so most of these men should have reasonably good eye-site and keen hunting skills. They also are "rugged" having to survive in times of famine and hunger. Probably of smaller, stockier build, and perhaps a bit stronger. I would say, however, that their biggest strength in this conflict would be that they already have the knowledge base to craft whatever weapons common to their time period. Add to that the fact that they have all probably killed large animals, and some have almost certainly killed other people. That experience could be invaluable. Also have surely hunted / raided in a group before.

Weaknesses:
Probably highly superstitious. This could be exploited. Probably fairly set in their ways of warfare. Perhaps a limited vocabulary and communication system. Might have a number of individuals with previous injuries / ailments.

Eh, its a close one, but my money is on the cavemen. By the time the astronauts figure out how to create stone-age weapons, the cavemen are using their bones to pick their teeth with.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Astronauts almost certainly have some unarmed combat training from their military experience...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I still say Picard would win.
Uncle Rico
Member # 8406

- posted      Profile for Uncle Rico   Email Uncle Rico         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Astronauts almost certainly have some unarmed combat training from their military experience...
Not all astronauts are military.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Not all astronauts were in the military, though.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Rico
Member # 8406

Jon Boy -- I have not unveiled all of my screen names, so you don't know if you have more or not.

MPH

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

the vast majority of them are though...
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yes, I suppose you could have another forty or so that I haven't seen. In that case, I believe you would win.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

No! I am Porter!
Uncle Rico
Member # 8406

No! I am Sparticus!

MPH

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
My money's on the omnimech.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Rico
Member # 8406

I think the the wizard would be able to take out the pilot of the omnimech pretty easily.

A single Improved Invisibility would make the omnimech incapable of detecting him, too.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yikes, Porter, I'm concerned about the acute manifestation of Multiple Personality Disorder that you have been exhibiting on this thread.

Maybe you can recline on my couch while we discuss your childhood...

<tents fingers Freudianly>

Very interesting...

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Newbies. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Pat and I were having threads like this years ago.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh la-di-dah!
Beanny
Member # 7109

Tante, 1004 posts after being registered for a MONTH??? And every post has CONTENT. That's creepy. Did you sell your soul to the Hatrack Fiend?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Closer to 2 months than one. But yes, she posts even faster than I do, and that's something.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

...said the 14.7K rivka...and I'm here for 8 months and this is my 601 post
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Just call me the Poster Child of Hatrack [Wave]
kojabu
Member # 8042

You should get a free Dr. Pepper with that. [Razz]
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, back on track folks. Dr. Laura or Dr. Ruth?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who would win in a fight, compass or protractor?

Compass. It's a lot pointier.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would win in a fight, a calculus teacher or a physics teacher?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Laura is a black belt in some martial art (probably TKD), so I'll go with Dr. Laura.

And a calculs teacher and a physics teacher would make little nerdlings together, not war.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Who would win in a fight, Mr. T or Mr. Coffee?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Who would win in a fight, a calculus teacher or a physics teacher?

The calculus teacher. At least where I work, since she was my math teacher, and I have no intention of taking her on! So she'd win by default. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It figures.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Wizard definatly if he's far away enough he can caste some sort of spell to melt/shrink/teleoport away the mech.

Heck, a lighting bolt would fry the circuits.

Now who would win, a King Tiger or a JS-III?

Or more interesting, a M1 Abrams tank or the new Type-98 Main Battle Tank for the People's Liberation Army (unvieled in a Military Parade in 1999)?

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Who would win in a fight, Lucy or Peppermint Patty?
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
See now between a physics teacher and a calc teacher I'd go with the physics teacher myself. A physics teacher has to know calculus to teach physics, cause physics is heavily dependant on calc. Therefore the physics teacher has more knowledge than the calc teacher. Since knowledge is power, the physics teacher is more powerful then the calc teacher and would therefore win in a fight. QED [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

A high school physics teacher does not absolutely need to know physics. (I think they should, because understanding integrals really helps with such things as the relationship between speed and acceleration, for instance.)

Moreover, they certainly need not know as much calculus as a calculus teacher does.

My father is a mathematical physicist. He could whip 'em both. [Wink]

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who would win in a fight, [Confused] or [Dont Know] ?

The one with the arms!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would win in a fight, Tom or Davidson?

Scott or Orson?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rico:
Who would win in a fight, cavemen or astronauts? (guess where it's from and you get a cookie!)

Don't know if its the original source, but it does make an appearance in the last season of Angel.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you read MANIFOLD - ORIGIN by Stephen Baxter?

In this SF novel astronauts and cavemen actually fight each other - and the depiction of the interaction between the modern day astronauts and the cavemen is rather realistic and believable. (Great book, by the way.)

Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
See now between a physics teacher and a calc teacher I'd go with the physics teacher myself. A physics teacher has to know calculus to teach physics, cause physics is heavily dependant on calc. Therefore the physics teacher has more knowledge than the calc teacher. Since knowledge is power, the physics teacher is more powerful then the calc teacher and would therefore win in a fight. QED [Big Grin]

But power is nothing but energy per time. Since they both have the same amount of energy, the physics teacher will run out of energy first, and lose!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.