FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ethics and duty to a child - drug use and neglect

Author Topic: Ethics and duty to a child - drug use and neglect
Miriam
Member # 8351

- posted      Profile for Miriam   Email Miriam         Edit/Delete Post 
A woman requests that you be the guardian of her child if she is unable to care for the child. She wants you to haver custody of the child if she dies, is physically unable to care for the child or is in jail.

The mother is a drug user who supports underage drinking by purchasing alcohol for minors and allows drug use in her house.

Is it unethical to agree to the guardianship arrangement and then call the police the next time the mother is using drugs or supplying children w/alcohol?

To me it would seem dishonest and manipulative, but on the other hand is it good for the little girl to be raised in this environment? By a mother who has said "My children are more my mother than I am their mother" A woman who always has an excuse for why she can't take care of her own children.

Which is worse for her? To live with a mother who she knows puts everything before the child or to have the mother in jail?

[Cry] [Dont Know]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not like those two choices are all the choices that exist.

How about, "I love your daughter. I would be happy to take care of her while you go to rehab."

Just for starters.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think before you agree to guardianship you should have an honest discussion with her about the way you feel about her current parenting. As Scott said, you could offer to be the guardian while the mother gets her own life in order, gets treatment, etc.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriam
Member # 8351

She has gone to rehab several times. She has also attempted to teach her children that illegal drug use is ok and shouldn't be illegal. They have a drill for when cops come to the door!

The mother has had 18 years to get her life together and figure out how to be a mother. (that's how old her oldest is)

Inicidentally, she has children that she has lost legal custody of. That wasn't enough motivation to her to change her life.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, how old is the child?

Heh, answered as I asked...

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriam
Member # 8351

quote:
Originally posted by NinjaBirdman:
I'm curious, how old is the child?

Preteen
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
wow... ugly... I don;t envy you this call at all... but wish you the best of luck.

I think, if you are inclined to, you might ask to adopt the child from her... because it does seem unethical to turn her in after agreeing to guardianship, but getting the child sent off to a foster home might be no better... while you obviously have some connection with this child or she would not have asked you to be the guardian.

Edited for clarity

[ July 28, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should call the police and/or CPS regardless of whether you agree to be the guardian.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest calling your local child protection service and run the situation by them. You can do this anonymously and they should be able to tell you a good course of action.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:Points to Mrs. M and Mackillian:
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriam
Member # 8351

A social worker friend told me that cps could not do anything unless the mother was arrested again.

She started crying because she couldn't do anything for the child.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I still recommend calling CPS and running the situation by them. They might be able to give you a number to call in an emergency if the mother is incapacitated.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
What a situation...this girl is lucky to have her on your side.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*mutter*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
A few thoughts if I may be so bold.

I work at a rehab facility for Homeless men. Recitivism rates are horrendous at all recovery programs. The mother's attempts at recovery may be completely genuine. It is just a hard road. Understand that it is not "JUST" a lack of desire and effort by the parent.

That said, I grew up in a household of addiction and desperately wish I could have gotten out earlier than I did, 14. I am the only child of 4 who is not currently addicted. If you can get the child out of the environment, I strongly recomend it. These behaviors are often passed on to the children.

That said, I really dislike CPS and the fostercare system. I have heard way to many horror stories from my clients about fostercare. I would try to set something up for appropriate care prior to calling. But understand, taking on a child from an addicted family is a monumental task. It is fraught with pain.

I would try direct confrontation first, but would have no qualms acting in the best interest of the child and turning in the mother. But no good deed goes unpunished. Rarely are the really right deciscions in life easy.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.