FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Financial Aid Headaches

Author Topic: Financial Aid Headaches
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I filled out our FAFSAs a little late this year, but well within the deadline. Our school gets a copy, and proceeds to send us some forms to prove our independent status because we earned so little.

So, I give them a copy of W-2s and our taxes, feeling violated somehow as I did so, and left it at that. Now, since we filed online, we did not physically sign our return. We electronically signed it, and weren't even supposed to sign our copies that we printed out. The Financial Aid office does not like this, so they send the papers back to us, so we sign over the words "DO NOT SIGN HERE" and I send them back in.

I wait... and then decide I better check for our award letter. I had emailed our financial aid counselor back when I did the FAFSA, asking her to give us the max. amount of loans--subsidized and unsubsidized and even though she never replied, I thought it was possible she already did it.

So, I check and there is no award letter. I decide to click on the overall status of financial aid and see that they want even MORE information.

Basically, they want me to list all of our expenses (which, again, feels like a violation of privacy) and income to prove how we survived last year since we made so little. IDIOTS! They KNOW how we survived last year. We got additional financial aid to cover living expenses. They gave me checks THREE TIMES that year!!

It really pisses me off. It was already a pretty crappy year. I was unable to find a job, and what jobs I did do paid me way too little to live on. I applied for food stamps, but because I was a student, I had to have a 20 hour a week job in order to qualify. By that time, we had no money--not even a credit card to fall back on. I remember pulling into a gas station parking lot after that and crying my eyes out. We ended up borrowing some money from my aunt, which, frankly, was pretty humiliating. I could not FIND a job, which is why I needed food stamps, but because I didn't have a job I didn't qualify. That never made sense to me. Anyway...

Now the state is screwing me over again by delaying my financial aid with their stupid bureaucratic nonsense. Look at my file, idiots! It's right there!

And yes, I am employed now, but I am underemployed in that my paycheck does not cover my expenses. And my expenses are actually LESS than when I was single. So, I need extra aid again. (For the last time. Once I graduate, I'm going back to the world of being paid a decent wage for my work.)

I hate this.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm sorry, Katarian.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Thanks. [Smile]

I'm just frustrated.... that's all...

At least I'm employed now and I know our bills will get paid. And this mess will get straightened out. I just wish they could be logical about it. It already ticked me off that we had to prove independent status...because we had to do that LAST year.

By the way, when I say expenses, I mean essential expenses and NOT food and household/personal items. If my paycheck actually covered food... well, that would just be great. But it doesn't.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Katarain )))

I'm with you on this one. It's been quite a while, but I know what it's like to have to ask the Salvation Army for a handout. Hang tough.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Katarain)))))

If it helps, Financial Aid has been a gross ordeal for me, too.

Have you looked into Pell grants? I've heard of a lot more options being available to someone whose married or no longer a dependent.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want, I can ask my mom some questions, or have her look into this thread when she's back at work on Monday.

She's a financial aid officer at a school in California - and the nice, caring type of finacial aid person, I might add.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
On behalf of all financial aid offices and administrators everywhere, I apologize. I know. I know. I'm sorry. TRULY sorry. From the bottom of my heart. We honest to goodness would not ask you for any of this if it weren't necessary for whatever reason the higher ups said it was.

I promise (at least, based on my year's experience as a grad assistant at my particular school), it's not meant as a violation or to slight you or your financial needs. Most people in Financial Aid, just like people in most professions, do want to do their jobs -- and they want to do their jobs well, with minimum hassle and maximum aid to the student. I know it feels like an exposure - I've lived on Ramen and tap water myself - however, it honestly isn't meant that way.

Unfortunately, it's an enormously complicated process with an awful lot of room for error and backlogs. And, given what the Dept of Ed and individual schools can require for documentation, "minimum hassle" can feel... yeah. I know. That's why I keep Kleenex in my office, just in case. Also chocolate. (Okay, the chocolate's for me.)

Anyhoo, proving Independent status should not be that difficult if you're over 24, married at the time you filled out the FAFSA, a veteran, have dependents of your own, or are a graduate student, as that info should be on the FAFSA itself. What kind of information are they asking for? Financial information has nothing to do with independent status... that's pretty odd...

Financial information goes along with the verification process, however, which we are forced to do by the Dept. of Ed (they give us the names. We don't even choose 'em. Where I'm at, one-third of the students get selected.)

As far as "looking into Pell grants" As independent students not making much money, sounds like you should qualify. The FAFSA is the application for the Pell Grant. If, once all the bureaucratic nonsense is done, your EFC is less than $3850, you should qualify. Pell is sacred (at least, where I'm at)... that's pretty much the first thing they'll look to see that you qualify for once this hullabaloo with documentation is over (assuming this is your first degree). However, I'm not where you are so once you have confirmation that everything is in -- ASK.

Three pieces of advice as you're going through this:

1. Never assume anything until you have it in writing.

2. Always, always, no matter how wronged you've been, upset you are, no matter how stupid and evasive the person you're talking to is, always, always, always be civil to the people at the front desk. It's really not their fault.

3. If the headaches and stress continue, make an appointment to sit down with a financial aid administrator. Even if s/he can't necessarily do anything or change the information that you need, it can help to have someone sit down and talk you through the process, tell you what to expect, tell you what the worst case scenario would be and how the school handles that. Also to vent to, if need be.

Feel free to email me with any questions about aid... not being at your school, I can't be real helpful with process questions, but I'm good for almost everything else.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to derail the topic (I'm not heartless, afterall!), but I've heard that 1/3 random selection of students for verification at my school, too.

Yet, I've been chosen all three years I've attended school. Every year I have to call up my parents and ask them to fax me their tax forms (what makes it extra fun is that Canadian tax season is about a month after the US tax season).

Anyway, to get back on topic:
Last year, my financial aid advisor told me that I "must be lying" about how much income I made. I worked for the school during that year, like Katarain, that made the financial aid advisor's comment pretty outrageous.

Another interesting thing, my ex-girlfriend was granted a dependency override because her step-father was physically abusive (which caused her to move out). After Thanksgiving break the financial aid advisor, during polite conversation, asked her how she had spent the break. When the advisor found out she had visited her mom (who lives with her step-dad), the advisor revoked the override for the next year.

I'm sure there's lots of nice financial aid people are nice. My experiences have left me bitter, though.

Edit: It is rather late where I am, so my post is certain to be filled with typo's and horribly structured sentences.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I received a pretty curt reply from our financial aid advisor. I took too long to reply to their request for our tax information. Well, I suppose she must be right.. I didn't think I had taken THAT long, but I guess I don't check my mail often enough.

I will still be able to register, since I don't have to pay for tuition (I work at the university). But my husband won't be able to unless he can pay his fees. I'll do my best to come up with the money.

Oh, I'm not eligible for pell grants because I'm a graduate student. My husband is, though. I thought by now there would be no money left, though. That'd be nice, though.

*shrugs* Eh..

-Katarain

Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Katarain, I hope your husband is able to register.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

It occurred to me that he didn't advance register... and that's why you need to pay your fees by that date, so you can keep your classes. He should be able to late register like he was going to. it costs extra anyway.

-Katarain

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.