FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CAFTA - Good or Bad?

Author Topic: CAFTA - Good or Bad?
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband asked me to research this for him. I've been reading many different opinions on this subject and I'm really just reading in circles now. I'm getting a little confused.

I'd really love your opinions on this topic. Can you break it down for me?

Will CAFTA be good for Americans? Will it be better for other countries?

Thanks!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
In the short term it will suck, I think, but the long term might make it worth it. It it a very complex issue.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As with all free trade agreements, laborers in the wealthier countries involved will suffer for about ten years, while businesses theoretically based in those same companies prosper. What everyone hopes is that those businesses prosper enough for that wealth to eventually find its way back to the laborers again.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And of course, CAFTA is just a part of the overarching plan to crate an American free trade zone that would incorporate North, Central, and South America.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It really wasn't as large an economic change as everyone is making it out to be.

From the Economist:
quote:
CAFTA is a modest agreement between a whale (the United States) and six minnows (five nations of Central America—Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica—plus the Dominican Republic). The whale already admits about 80% of the minnows' exports tariff-free, and the Central American countries have already cut their average tariffs from around 45% in 1985 to about 7%.
It didn't elminate all tarrifs:
quote:
CAFTA's strictures do not apply to several sensitive crops, such as white corn and Costa Rican potatoes and onions. And the agreement gives other goods, including dairy products, up to 20 years to phase out protection. This should give farmers plenty of time to adjust, even if it deprives the poor of cheaper milk in the meantime.
The title of the article is : "A small victory for free trade as CAFTA passes," which is a pretty accurate description. The whole article is short, and password protected, but you can feel free to use my login if you'd like:jharr@depauw.edu Password is: 12345

Economist Article

I personally feel, as most economists do, that free trade is pretty much always a good thing in the long-run. One needs to be careful not to rush things to fast, however, or there can be plenty of short-term misery. CAFTA seems to be a good deal, but not very significant except politically.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.