FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Search Engine of Choice

Author Topic: Search Engine of Choice
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was a little lad of 15, about 7 years ago, I finally started using the wonderful tool that is called the internet. Not knowing any better, I was a Yahoo man down to my bones.

I signed up for Yahoo mail. I listened to Yahoo radio. I did every search on Yahoo, and I even read all the news and sports on the Yahoo news pages.

In fact until a friend of mine tried to get me to use Alta Vista I hadn't even heard of other search engines. I tried Alta Vista and I didn't like it at all compared to Yahoo. Maybe that's why nothing has really changed. For I am still a Yahoo man. That one journey over to Alta Vista gave me a bad impression on all other search engines.

Skip forward a few years. I had just returned from my mission and had taken a 2 year break from the internet, except email. All of a sudden everyone is talking about Google. It's everywhere! People rave about it. I've done a few searches on it and haven't been too impressed. In fact it seems almost exactly the same as Yahoo.

So someone please tell me what the big deal is. Is Google that much better? Are there still people out there that prefer other engines?

? [Dont Know]

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Google's pretty universal...I mean it is it's own verb!

Oh and one word for you: gmail [Cool]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
DIdn't Yahoo! use Google for their search enging for a while?

?, I was in your position too - I was the master of Yahoo! search, I could tweak my searches to the Nth degree.... but then I found Google - no-one in my company needs my searching skills anymore, because Google does such a great job of categorisation.

Plus it's just simple, a lot of people like simple.

Plus there's Google image-search. That's awesome. Froogle's not bad either and Google Earth is a mighty thing to behold.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it just seems to be...getting bigger. All the time. You won't be able to escape it for much longer.

And gmail really is better...well, it will be once they get it to work on all operating systems and with all types of firewalls. I can't check it from my school district computer (I'm a teacher) and that sucks.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For some time, Yahoo used Google. And as the Google interface is cleaner and more powerful, I use Google for all my searches.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
But Google has sold out. I'm back to Alta Vista. If I'm going to get sold, I like to at least know I'm getting sold and not have this pretense of altruism.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by sold out?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Because they went public?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
You do know that Alta Vista is owned by Yahoo? Alta Vista is run by Overture Services, Inc. which is owned by Yahoo.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Alta Vista is just Yahoo! in different clothes
quote:
Search results on AltaVista are powered by Yahoo! Search Technology. For fast submission to the Yahoo! Search index via the Overture Site Match(tm) program, Click Here.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried metasearches? Metasearch sites like "Dogpile.com" retreive serval results using search engines like Yahoo, Google, Ask Jeeves, etc. and it puts the most relevant results from all the searches in one place. If you want to, you can have it sort it so that it only shows you what results a specific search engine came up with (like you can click "Google" if you want to see only Google results). I learned about this when I took a research workshop at my school library. It's helpful if you're doing a really difficult search and intend on trying several search engines to find what you're looking for.

Personally, I prefer Google search over other search engines since Google seems to get the most hits and most relevant results.

The "cached" option in Google is awesome because it highlights your search keywords so you can quickly scroll to the part of the article that discusses what you're looking for. Google was the first to have this, but other search engines picked up on it as well. Then of course there's "Google Scholar" that specifically searches through scientific peer-reviewed Journal websites and other scientific sites for research articles.

"Google Earth" is pretty popular (I think there's a hatrack thread about this), since you can enter and address and see a satilite image of the location.

Basically most other search engines at some point was powered by or "enhanced" by Google. So if you're using Google you're probably using the latest improvements in searching.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use a meta-search program (Dogpile was it). I liked it a lot, until I found Google.

I've used "Ask Jeeves" but mainly find that it's a cumbersome way to get to the same info I'd get from Google.

My current favorite search engine is Copernic. They have a free download search tool for your computer that is just fantastic. I don't really use their web search tool, but the one for your computer works so much better than Windows search and it will, if you ask it to, search the web for you. I just haven't felt the need to try it since Google pretty much meets my needs.

But if you want a great search engine for your computer, get Copernic. It indexes everything on your hard drive, even your e-mail...Excellent.

Since I have a bazillion e-mails, this tool has saved me several times.

Yippee!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Copernic was the meta-search program that I used before google was around. But when google showed up (I was a pretty early adopter of it), it by itself was as good as Copernic was, so I dropped Copernic.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I never used Yahoo! regularly-- back in the old days of AOL, AltaVista was what we used here. Then came Metacrawler, which claimed to search multiple engines at once. It was nice, but they were both really slow. We were still using dial up at the time.

Then Google appeared in Time Magazine. I liked how the page was nice and clean and you didn't have to wait for everything to load up before your search. Wondering if all the hype was true, I typed in some obscure term and the page came up-- instantly.

I have never looked back.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be totally AltaVista until Google came along.

Now I use Google for all internet searches, but Copernic for desktop uses.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
I like google simply because they aren't complete knobs when it comes to advertising. The nice clean google banner adds are just great. No pop-ups, no obnoxious shockwave garbage, just nice plain text!
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Google sounds cool and they change their google logo if it's a special holiday.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Last year NPR did a story about how Google was digitizing all the great libraries of the Ivy League schools. I wonder how that's coming along.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they also wanted to do stuff from public libraries, basically anything that doesn't have a copyright.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Google. Because I am just a thupid mokanick. [Smile]

Nah, I use it for it's clean interface. It's not as clutttered as Yahoo!.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem Google's having is they want to do a bunch of stuff that is under copyright.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly use Google, but I also periodically use Metacrawler (which searches a bunch of search engines).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.