FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Search

Author Topic: College Search
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from a two-week cycle of college tours.

I visited (in order of preference) MIT, the University of Chicago, Harvard University, Northwestern University, and Boston University.

MIT was above all my favorite. It seemed that they had a great attitude towards higher education that permeated through the students, the administration, and the academic program itself. The studentes carried themselves with confidence -- they were proud to be at MIT, and they were eager to learn and explore and solve problems simply for the sake of the thing, as opposed to being eager to learn so you can get your degree and get a job. The Hacks that MIT students are so famous for showed this attitude. These pranks required serious thought and planning and creativity. The administration was in the same groove as the students: they celebrated these hacks, and even have a hall dedicated to them. It seemed like they were sincerely there to foster the students' passions for learning and exploring. It just seemed to cry out 'Home' to me. The informal, casual attitude of the whole school made it feel like a haven for people who love to learn and use what they learn.

The hard part, of course, is getting in. They accept something like 15% of applicants. Normally, I would feel very confident of making it, but I have to imagine that almost 100% of the people who actually apply there are as qualified as I am.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good luck on your applications! Don't leave them until the last minute like I did. [Smile]

Do you have any safeties in there that you would honestly like to go to? Try to find one, just in case.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

I figure that MIT, Harvard, and Emory are my reach schools, with UoC and Northwestern in the middle, and Georgia Tech and Boston U as safeties.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, your applications must be impressive.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE,

Do you know your schools' policies on interviews? You might want to check that out--or find out how important they are to your final score. It may also be a good idea to do some practice interviews with your teachers now.

MIT, Harvard and Emory are all looking to create a class of people who will contribute to student life. If you're comfortable in an interview, you will have a really good shot at coming across as the interesting, well rounded person you are.

Just something to think about.

bunbun

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
An important trick on college applications is to display a committed involvement in one, two, or maybe three significant extracurriculars. They're looking for leaders and doers, not joiners.

Also, take the time to have fun with your application essay. Give the entire thing an unusual bent (for instance, I had an option for one university to write a recommendation letter for myself; I wrote one where my id recommended my superego) and its more likely to stick in the interviewers mind. Don't do something just for the sake of being silly, but a sense of humor about yourself is a good thing.

If one or more of the people reviewing your application for admission recall your essay specifically, and its otherwise solid (good structure, effective word choice, engaging language, discriminating choice of subject), you're at least 70% to admission (also assuming you're in their range of test scores and GPA).

Remember that the focus of the essay is you and how you present yourself. Spend minimal time explaining the details of any activity or event.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Thanks for the tips, folks. Keep them coming.

I plan on scheduling interviews with all the schools that offer them. BU, I know, does not.

When I was at MIT, they offered an interesting statistic. MIT is, of course, one of those schools that is notoriously difficult to get into. They have an admissions rate at around 10%.

They divided their admissions rate to show that of people who have an interview, 19% are accepted; of people who do not, 7% are accepted.

That was all it took for me to start looking up interviewers in my area.

fugu13, those are some great tips. Thanks. I was thinking about presenting two or three very different extra-curriculars that I am heavily involved in -- like the Robotics Team, the Junior Classical League (Latin Club), and the school newspaper -- to show that I am a person with diverse interests, rather than a one-track mind.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and don't try to bring all your extracurriculars into every essay that asks about something related to extracurriculars. You don't have space, and you'll seem to be focusing too much on listing stuff over giving the insight they're looking for.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what you're planning on majoring in? And how umm... certain are you of that area?
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an Emory Alumna. Glad to see you think highly of my li'l ol' school.

One of my favorite things I did on a college interview was joking with the interviewer. They've seen a zillion capable, eager, impressive applicants. Why would they remember you?

In high school, my 9th grade biology teacher would give a little token gift to the student who had the highest average in the class for each marking period. Mrs. Tokosh gave out things like colored pencils or candy. At the end of the spring quarter, I had the highest average in class, and I got the prize.

Of course, on my college applications, under "Honors and Awards", I listed the "Marilyn B. Tokosh Award for Excellence in Biological Sciences" That way, when they asked me in my interview what that was, I could answer "A chocolate Easter Bunny".

Another answer that I still use to this day at job interviews: If they ask me what my greatest weakness is, I answer "I tend to overpack for vacations" If they ask if there is anything else, I ponder for a while, and say with a smile "Nope -- that's it!" [Smile]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

And that works?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they ask me what my greatest weakness is, I answer "I tend to overpack for vacations"
That is the best answer to that interview question that I've ever heard!

Here's a bit of interview advice a friend gave me (and I got the job after using it): When they ask a question, even if it's a standard interview question you've got a rehearsed answer for, don't answer right away. Look thoughtful for a moment. Not more than a few seconds, and not the same amount of time or the same thoughtful expression on each question. Just enough to make it seem like you're really considering what they said and not just feeding them a standard answer you had prepared. It gives a good impression.
Also, know when to stop talking. Most good interviewers will just look at you and let you keep rambling. Answer the question well, don't say more than you need to, and smile like you're ready for the next question.

Good luck!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are considering MIT, you should have a look at Caltech. Smaller classes, and it's at least as good a school.

No, I'm not biased. Why do you ask? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HRE:
And that works?

Uh huh.

Also, I am a nursing supervisor, which means that (among other things) I get to interview applicants.

Not saying too much is a really good suggestion. I've had people come in and cathartically unload on me, telling me how they are going through a divorce or have a kid whom they think is using drugs. Yikes. Makes me want to stay away from that person. If they are that inappropriate on a job interview, imagine them on the job.

The two questions that I ask that seem to trip up the most people are:

Why did you leave your last job?

and

Why do you want to work here?

So, if you ever go for an interview, plan what you would say in response to those questions.

Good answers for why you left your last job are that you moved to a new town, that you are looking for more of a challenge, or that your company reorganized and your department (or position) was eliminated. Bad answers are that you had a personality conflict with your old boss or co-workers. I'm not sure that I want someone who is prone to personality conflicts (and who doesn't see them as her fault) to join my team.

Good answers for why you want to work here (or go to school here) is that the business (or school) has a great reputation, you respect the work that they do, and you think that you could be an asset to the company (or school). Bad answers are that your mother told you to apply, or that you don't know.

Also, always show up to your interview alone. If you have a cheering section of family and friends, don't have them tag along for moral support. Leave them across the street at the Starbucks, and you can catch up with them after the interview.

Be on time. If something really unavoidable happens, call to let them know that, for instance, there is a wildfire on the highway and they've closed off the city. Ask if you can reschedule for later in the day or if another day is better. But if you can manage to show up on time despite the wildfire, it is a definite plus in your column.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree with being creative with essays. Like others said, not OVERLY so, but at least looking at something a bit outside the box. One option for my college essay was to write about your favorite book. Many folks will go for the scholarly answer or what they think people want to hear. Be honest. My answer was "The Comet and You" a book given to me by my first grade teacher. I still have it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HRE:
I was thinking about presenting two or three very different extra-curriculars that I am heavily involved in -- like the Robotics Team, the Junior Classical League (Latin Club), and the school newspaper -- to show that I am a person with diverse interests, rather than a one-track mind.

By Robotics team, do you mean FIRST Robotics?!
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

We usually do compete in FIRST, but this past year we decided to host a Robotics competition for middle-school students instead, to get them interested.

We did compete in BEST, though. We took the State level competition easily, but at the Regionals the more innovative designs destroyed our chances.

Meh.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, every time I turn aroung there's another robotics person here. Me, Desdemona, Blacwolve...I know I'm missing some, but the list goes on. I think it's really cool. [Cool]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.