FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cicada Emerging

Author Topic: Cicada Emerging
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This past Friday, Fiazko and I went hiking (strolling would probably be a more accurate description, actually) in Glen Helen, a nature preserve in Yellow Springs Ohio. It's a great place, and when I lived in Yellow Springs I couldn't spend enough time there (the events detailed in my thread about watching a snake eat a frog took place in the glen)

This time we watched a pair of centipedes copulating, which was interesting, but the highlight of the hike was watching a cicada emerge from its carapace. In NE Kansas, in August, nearly every tree and fence post is dotted with empty cicada carapaces, but I've never seen one being vacated. I think that I was 8 or so the first time I thought about what it must look like, and ever since then I've been hoping to see it happen. Kind of a strange life goal, I admit, but nonetheless I've always thought of it as one.

It's not the kind of thing that translates well into a prose account, but happily I had my camera along, and happier still Fiazko is a damned good photographer. I think I took a few pictures of the thing, but they mostly came out as indistinct blobs. In any case, I was too occupied with watching the process, which took probably an hour, to spend much time fiddling with the camera. If Fiazko hadn't been along, there would be no pictures of it.

By rights this series should be on her Flickr site, but because the pictures were on my camera, and because I wanted to share them, I uploaded them to mine.

Here they are:

Cicada Emerging Series

[ August 01, 2005, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh very cool! (and we get to see what you look like too, bonus!)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Freakin' cool. Thanks!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. That is so cool.

I used to collect discarded carapaces, way back when.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I didn't collect them, but I spent a lot of time looking at them under a magnifying glass and playing with them.

Hmmm...I wonder if you could fill one with plaster and get a good model from it?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The cool thing about watching cicadas emerge, is right after they come out of the shell (about your last photo there) -- you can actually see their wings grow. Their wings just start stretching and stretching until they are about twice the size they were when they first emerged.

It is the coolest thing ever.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, that was extremely cool. It was almost like it happened instantaneously.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I just added some text on the first picture that includes the stuby pre-expansion wings that talks about this.

Fiazko, you felt like it happened instantaneously? I felt like it was a slow process--slow enough that I couldn't see it happening, but had to look away and look back again to perceive the progress of the unfurling. I agree, Farmgirl, the wings were probably the coolest part of the whole thing. I couldn't believe how much like fins they looked at first, and the accordion-like way that they expanded was just incredibly interesting. I'd love to capture that on video at some point.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wanted to see this since I was a little kid, too.

The evil twin wins. [Cool]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

Well, I missed a lot since I was focusing on taking pictures, so it seemed like it happened pretty quickly. I can see why you thought it was a slow process, though. [Smile]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic photos. It's ironic you get this now instead of last year when they were out by the millions.

(Anyone else think noemon is kinda cute? [Blushing] )

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Blushing]
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
*grin
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon's the one with the dreamy green skin and the wings, right?

Yeah. . . she's hawt.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

*snort*
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
(Anyone else think noemon is kinda cute? [Blushing] )
(wonders if Fiazko thinks so) [Wink]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

As a baby's butt.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[ROFL]
Noemon
Member # 1115

It should surprise no one that fiazko picked a simile involving a butt. [Smile]
fiazko
Member # 5812

Aw, crap. (Oh look, I did it again.)
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[ROFL] (that's even FUNNIER!) edit(replying to Jake)

Yes -- you notice how many pictures she got of that cicada's back side????

fiazko
Member # 5812

Hmmm, if only you had seen the rest of the pictures.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Eek!]

You're right! It's an inter-species butt fetish!

Now that's just...ew.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

feel free to share..........
fiazko
Member # 5812

You know, I could explain, but it would suck the entertainment value right out of this thread, so set your imaginations free.
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: puzzled ::

Are you talking about the pictures of the centipedes going at it? Because those didn't really come out.

fiazko
Member # 5812

No. Although, I am curious as to why that keeps happening to us.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.