FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Am I a hippy? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Am I a hippy?
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been called a hippy many times, including today while washing dishes at work. So I was wondering, what makes some one a hippy? What are the defining characteristics of a hippie? Also to anyone here who has met me, do I seem like a hippy?

(and I'm still not sure, is it hippie or hippy?)

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hippie.

I don't know what a hippy is, but it doesn't sound flattering.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Laid back, easy-going, high (*grin*) maybe long-haired or free-spirited..

you any of those? [Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
How often do you bathe?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on meeting you at KamaCon, I would not call you a hippie. I know to some people, however, anyone with long hair is automatically labled a hippie.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(that's why I put in the grin. Meeting him at KamaCon, I think he is a little of all those things I mentioned..)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

I have never used any form of drugs, I don't even drink alcohol, and I usually bathe at least once a day.

I do however have long hair, and often go several days without shaving (my facial hair doesn't grow very fast). I suppose I am fairly easy going. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a great thread about this a while back. I will see if I can find it.

The basic hippies stereotype is: long hair, tie dye, smokes pot, does acid at Dead shows(or did acid at Dead shows), drives a VW bus, wears patchouli, asks for a lot of free stuff.

I know a lot of "Classic" hippies, if you will, who have some of those qualities.

There are also the Trust Fund Hippies. These were the kids who toured with the Dead and wore hippiesque outfits, but had Brooks brothers suits waiting for them at home for weddings and job interviews.

There is the "hippie state of mind" thing, which could mean any person, at any time, who runs counter to the culture.

These days, I think it is a pretty empty term.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a "hippy" can mean many things.

I, myself, have a few aspects of the stereotype.

I don't eat mammals, and never have (intentionally).

I try and consider the global/political moral and ethical issues surrounding the personal choices I make.

I have no modesty, and am most comfortable naked. I especially like to go barefoot.

In some of these ways, I am indeed a "hippy".

But, in other ways, I fulfill various stereotypes of being a "yuppie". Just like in high school, where I had elements of my life that fit into a whole bunch of "clique" stereotypes.

Very few people fit the molds very closely, without trying to do so. My younger brother actively pursued the "hippy" title, but was in some ways the epitome of everything the hippy movement was against. He would get violently angry when defending "hippy" music, for instance.

There are no hippies, and there are no yuppies. We're just people [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you, or do you seem like the kind of person who would enjoy eating sprouts?

How many months of the year do you feel that it is appropriate to wear sandals?

Is your person grooming more "impeccable" or more "natural"?

When people around you are getting all uptight, do you feel like there is a likely cause to be uptight, or do you feel more like, "Dude, relax, no need to get all uptight"?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

here is the link to the other thread:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=031625#000000

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"If you have fire drills to practice getting all your Grateful Dead tapes
out of the house"

Not true. A true Deadhead would have converted those tapes to cds long ago, or just downloaded them from the archive.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I get called a hippie periodically. I usually take it as a compliment. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored a 3.

quote:
Anything under 10- You are the establishment.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 63. Most of that was hair.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Scared to try!
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored an 89 and I'm only 18 years old... But I did count this one...
quote:
If you think you may have been at Woodstock,
but aren't entirely sure- add 15 pts.

I'm fairly certain I was at woodstock in a previous life...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 70 pts.

quote:
If you have a brownie recipie that includes ingredients you can not get at the local A&P- add 5 pts
Er, this is technically true. I generally make sourdough brownies, and I've never seen Amish Sweet Sourdough Culture for sale.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I was doing really well on that Hippie Quiz (partially from just being alive during teh 1960s) until I got to the one that said "subtract 200 points if you voted for Ronald Reagan.

That gave me a minus-number total.

[Smile]
FG

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Another hippie thread....

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=029773#000000

Oh, and now I've started hanging my clothes out to dry. More hippie all the time....

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

I got a 1 so far

quote:
If you got this far and realized you haven't been keeping score- add 1 pt.
I'll try again
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
63, wow! I did not know I had so much hippy in me.

They didn't even ask about yoga.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 60 points, which puts me high in the "some hippie in you" but not quite to an actual hippie. Sounds about right.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

ok, i ended up with a 52 i think
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 26 - mostly the hair.

My boyfriend, were he here, would score a 55. Maybe more. I didn't know I was dating such a hippie!

To be fair, he's Indian (of the South Asian kind), so a lot of the points are earned because he's a typical Hindu. But I guess he's also a hippie type of Hindu. He has a BIG tie-dyed sheet with an Om on it that he uses as a curtain - and he bought it in Berkely.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 44 or somewhere thereabouts. My math skills suck today - massive headache.

Hey, Jhai, what part of India is your boyfriend from? And has he gotten you addicted to Bollywood musicals yet?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

He was born in Kashmir, but his family is from Calcutta and speak Bengali. He's an army brat, so he grew up all over India. Went to high school in New Delhi - I think that's where he'd claim home is, although he doesn't have any family living there now.

We've watched a fair number of Bollywood films - my favorites are Laagan and Dil Chahta Hai. Unfortunetly, he doesn't have a large collection of Indian films. I'm sure that'll change, though. He's in India right now and most likely buying those cheap, four-in-one pirated dvds by the handful.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
1 point. I would have had 3, but sadly I know the macarena.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Laagan didn't even show up in the IMDB database, which surprises me, because all the Hindi films we have do, and the Tamil movies as well, I think. Dil Chahta Hai was good. A bit different from the usual Hindi films, but yeah, we liked it.

We tend to not buy the 4-in-1s only because the film quality isn't as good, and since DVDs only cost $2.50 here, price isn't an issue.

I'm putting on Khabhi Haan Kabhi Naa with Shahrukh Khan righ tnow. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got six... One for liking Paul more than the other Beatles and five for studying Eastern religion (Judaism).

quote:
I got 63. Most of that was hair.
So Raia gets several hundred. [Razz]
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 

"All you need is love...and a good medical plan."

[ROFL]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I got most of my points for music. Some Deadheads would have gotten in the 100s for their longest tour alone, because they would follow them around for years at a time.
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 

I like Paul the most, I say "man" a lot, and I like Bob Dylan's voice.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
How many months of the year do you feel that it is appropriate to wear sandals?

Is your person grooming more "impeccable" or more "natural"?

When people around you are getting all uptight, do you feel like there is a likely cause to be uptight, or do you feel more like, "Dude, relax, no need to get all uptight"?

I wear sandals pretty much all year, and have even worn them in snow, i suppose my grooming is a bit on the natural side, and yeah dude, people don't need to get all uptight.
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a South Park that sums up what hippies are. Just stay out of the "know-it-all college hippie" catagory and I think you should be ok.

A little humility goes along way on both sides of the political spectrum.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
21 points.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
A hippie is a liberal activist without the gumption to actually do anything. They're usually intellectual Onanites.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
A hippie is a liberal activist without the gumption to actually do anything. They're usually intellectual Onanites.

BINGO! Thats what the South Park's point was. Only it did it in a little more...uh...indirect way. [Smile]
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps. Yet I'm not a liberal or an activist and I scored fairly high on that test (70). I guess I just happen to like a lot of things that hippies are known for. And I did count my special brownie recipe, although it wasn't what the quiz writer intended.

At any rate, I tend to find that when you get into specifics, labels are pretty meaningless.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Quid: That's because it's Lagaan, not Laagan. [Blushing]

Lagaan came out the same year as Dil Chahta Hai (2001), and was a hit in the countryside, while Dil Chahta Hai was really popular in the urban areas.

Hmmm... now I want to watch some Bollywood films tonight!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"A hippie is a liberal activist without the gumption to actually do anything. They're usually intellectual Onanites."

Just like those darned feminists.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Jhai, you like cricket? Fahim tells me "it's a big cricket match." Yeah, but let's get it. "It's a big cricket match," he insists. Then he adds, "and a lot of English men learn to speak Hindi very very quickly." But we'll look for it. [Big Grin] Thanks for the correction on the spelling. [Smile]

Hey, we have a Bollywood musicals thread you can post your recommendations to . . . [Big Grin]

Jhai
Member # 5633

It's really one English women who learns to speak Hindi really quickly. My boyfriend even warned me about it before we watched. "This is a cool movie, and it'll teach you all about cricket, but there's one part that's completely unbelievable..."

I'd say it's a lot like Hollywood sports movies - think Return of the Titans. Yes, the whole thing centers on football, but you can care about the characters without liking the game.

I'll check out the Bollywood thread so we can stop derailing this one...

Oh, and see my comments in the Non-American Sports thread about just how much cricket I've watched since I started dating Abhi...

The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I have realized that the quiz set specific guidelines that one must comform to to be a hippy. Doesn't this comformity go against everything a hippy might believe?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Only" 50. Which makes this a pretty silly test, considering that I *have* lived on a hippie commune (and will be living at one again once my health's better). But I get too many points off for not doing drugs and for not being a Dead fan...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored a 5. It would have been in the negatives if it weren't for my wife.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally unfair. I was at 11 -- a little bit of hippie (name of a store nearby, btw), and then they docked me 200 points for voting for Reagan! Come on! I could tie-dye all my curtains and not recover!

I'll go with the Reader here. I'm too nonconformist to be a hippie!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fahim tells me "it's a big cricket match."
It is, England's shaping up, Harmison's giving them all a hard time, and Ponting is out. England might even in this test. It's getting interesting.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.