FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hebrew Speakers (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hebrew Speakers
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
הבגרות בלשון? "כאילו, כזה," אני מנסה ליצור קבוצה של ארבע יחידות של חברה' שמעוניינים ללמוד קצת יותר ולאגור יותר יחידות. נראה לי שכאן כולם הנם יהודין מן אַרְעֲוַתָא גלותנא או שעבריתימו הנה חלקית.

וואלה, שימוש בארמית ובסיומות בסגנון תהילים באמת משגעות את השפה. ונראה הוא הדבר כי צפנינו אינם פציחים. אבל שיאוו, כאילו, זה מוי קול שאנחנו, לייק, כותבים כזה בעברית!

לא, דיבור בשפה ה-"צפונית" לא עוזר כהצפנה. סלנג זה נחמד אבל צריך משהו באמת מסובך - כי יש כאן אחת שאולי תבין. אולי לכתוב בסגנון ימי הביניים... (כולל ראשי-צלעות!)

אם תרצה נוכל לכתוב / בעת הזו, רחוק-קרוב
גדולת הכתב טובה מֵחֲשׁוֹב / דבר אחר הוא לדבר.

היה דבר שם בראשי / והוא פעוט וחרישי
זמר רק ביום שישי / חלף הרגע לזמר.

מה אתה אומר? ננסה את זה? ;-) אני עובד על טכניקות.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
לא, אף אחת כאן לא יודעת עברית חוץ משניכם, זה בסדר, אתם יכולים להשתמש בסלנג כהצפנה.

כפי שנאמר: "האפיקומן לא מתחת לכרית השלישית משמאל על הספה הימנית בסלון, הוא מעל המקרר..."

Edit: Interpretation - I was taunting JH and Erez [Taunt]

[ August 06, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Will you guys stop showing off? (I'd type that in Hebrew, but this PC doesn't have Hebrew language enabled like my laptop does). Seriously, I'm sure it's getting on the nerves of everyone who can't read it. That category doesn't even include me, and it's starting to get really annoying.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tsukuyomi
Member # 8463

- posted      Profile for Tsukuyomi           Edit/Delete Post 
דווקא אני שומר את האפיקומן בתוך החולצה XD
בכל מקרה אני מישראל ודובר עברית. נרשמתי ממש עכשיו בשביל לצעוק על אורסון על הסוף הגרוע של ילדי המחשבה ^^;

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
We're speaking of Pesach rituals. And the title of this thread already say what it's for.

את האפיקומן הפסקתי להחביא. תמיד השארתי אותו על השולחן אבל עוד לפני פסח תמיד דאגתי לדרוש מההורים שלי את המתנה. למה לעבור את הריטואל אם אפשר לסדר את הכל עוד קודם? אחרת זה פשוט לדרוש שוחד בעבור השלמת הסדר כהלכתו.

אני דווקא אהבתי את הסוף של יה"מ. אבל לא רציתי לקרוא אותו בהתחלה, כי זה מסיים את הספר. במשך שבועיים שקראתי את שלושת הספרים שאחרי הש"א ידעתי שתמיד משהו יבוא אח"כ; עד שהגעתי לסוף... לא רציתי לסיים. אבל לחות הסוף לא סתום, ויש עוד מקום לספרים נוספים שכנראה כבר בדרך.

quote:

כפי שנאמר: "האפיקומן לא מתחת לכרית השלישית משמאל על הספה הימנית בסלון, הוא מעל המקרר..."

והיכן זה כתוב, בדיוק?! אני מציע כתיבת שירה מימי הביניים, אבל נראה לי שאני היחיד שכתבתי כמה שירים (וסונטות!) בסגנון הזה. אולי נעבור לארמית?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Jonny, I know what you're talking about. I do actually understand the language, in case you hadn't noticed that. But if it's getting on my nerves, it's extremely likely that it's getting on the nerves of people who can't understand a single word.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, back to the whole topic of Ender's Game in Hebrew, this site has pictures of the 3 Ender sequels and Ender's Shadow all in Hebrew, apparently those were all translated too. Ender's Game obviously sold well if they went on to translate all the sequels.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tsukuyomi
Member # 8463

yap. and i'm quite sure we'll translate more.
we have some more of OSC books I just can't remember which.

ok ok i'll search... umm... zoooooom.... zrrrr... HA!

Ender's Saga.
http://www.bookme.co.il/itempics/348-261B.jpg
http://www.bookme.co.il/itempics/348-241B.jpg
http://www.bookme.co.il/itempics/348-336B.jpg
http://www.bookme.co.il/itempics/348-365B.jpg

Bean's Saga (so far)
http://www.bookme.co.il/itempics/348-3005B.jpg
http://www.bookme.co.il/itempics/348-3026B.jpg
http://www.ibooks.co.il/NS_ShowBigPicture.asp?img=../images_products/11140375b.jpg

Others
http://www.bookme.co.il/itempics/348-7026B.jpg
http://www.ibooks.co.il/NS_ShowBigPicture.asp?img=../images_products/11140362b.jpg
http://www.mytos.co.il/Images/BookPics/348-407b.jpg

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, definitely! Especially as they're only now (this year) getting round to translating the Series of Unfortunate Events books. I think there are only four translated, so far, right? At least, there were when I left last month.
Tsukuyomi
Member # 8463

that's all of Orson's books in hebrew as I know..
GaalD
Member # 6222

Wow. He must be really popular there. Israel has good taste [Wink] Does the third book in the Bean saga say Shadow puppets? Tzel is shadow, right? I don't see that in there.
Edit: Wait, just kidding, it's pluralized, didn't catch that.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Interpretation for the annoyed Hatrackers:

JH and Erez are planning to destroy the universe by using non-baked bread (which is, of course, not hidden under the left-most cusion on the right couch, but on the refridgerator) as battle bread. They are conversing in a language not understanable by most Hatrackers because that makes their secret society more intimidating.

Poor little fly,
why does it cry?
Caught in the web,
soon you'll be...
eaten.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Ender's Game obviously sold well if they went on to translate all the sequels.
Boy was it popular... Both English and Hebrew. The first time I landed with "Shadow of the Giant" at school (THANK YOU accio!!!), a firend asked me what was the book. I told him that Card wrote a sequel to Shadow Puppets, and we regarded the book as a Bible. When someone snapped the book out of my hand in a provocative way, we almost murdered him for being a heathen, desecrating the book.

That's what Card's doing to us.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
JH and Erez are planning to destroy the universe by using non-baked bread (which is, of course, not hidden under the third cusion from left on the right couch, but on the refridgerator) as battle bread.
The bread is bakes, but yeastless. We're taking over the world with Matzah-Brei. The People of the Bible's Original Language are going to rule! Hahaha!

"ראה הפקדתיך היום הזה לנתוש ולנתוץ ולהאביד ולהרוס" (Jeremiah 1).

GaalD
Member # 6222

You're totally confirming everything that anti-semites used to justify discriminating against us...probably not a good idea...to say it in in English.
Beanny
Member # 7109

Erm...nope, sorry. That would be The 1.3 billion People Of China.
Beanny
Member # 7109

As long as he doesn't reveal that Matza is made out of the blood of a Christian chicken - we're safe.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Okay.

All you Antisemites, please note that my previous post was intended as a joke, so I don't expect you to take it seriously for what it is.

That should do it, no? [Razz]

GaalD
Member # 6222

Hopefully if they quote you, they'll do it in context with your next post.
Raia
Member # 4700

Um... no. [Razz]

(edit: That was to Jonny.)

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
As long as he doesn't reveal that Matza is made out of the blood of a Christian chicken - we're safe.
WHAT?! And I had it with CREAM CHEESE!!! But that explains the reddish tinge to it - ah, no, wait - that was Turkish salad...
Beanny
Member # 7109

BenLevy - antisemites don't really need excuses for hating Jews. Same thing applies for any racist (against Blacks, Indians, Mexicans, Playstation Gamers, you name it)
GaalD
Member # 6222

You do realize I was kidding, right?
Beanny
Member # 7109

Sorry, it's 01:41 over here, and my three-days-long preparation seminar for a delegation in Poland is starting...today. Yeah, that sounds like a good excuse.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

... Beans and Little Beans ...
Tsukuyomi
Member # 8463

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Okay.

All you Antisemites, please note that my previous post was intended as a joke, so I don't expect you to take it seriously for what it is.

That should do it, no? [Razz]

NAZI!! KILL HIM!!! ARGGGH!!! [Wall Bash]

uhhm... anyway! I assure you matza is NOT made of blood. we'r not vampries. we just look like 'em.

and the reason why everybody hate jews is---
אנחנו כל כך מצליחים בכל מקום... כמעט 90% מהממשלה האמריקאית הם יהודים! חוץ מזה יש לנו את סטיבן שפיברג [Big Grin]

uhhm! and P.S. we have such a big mess now in Israel.
מספיק שהערבים שונאים אותנו אל תוסיפו שמן למדורה.
good we fight such a stupid enemy. [Taunt]
bad we'r fighting us right now... [Cry]

Raia
Member # 4700

Tsukuyomi, whereabouts are you? (I'm just curious... I was born in Jerusalem, and was there all last year too.)
Beanny
Member # 7109

The enemy isn't stupid.

But yeah, we're fighting amongst ourselves now - and that's bad, whether you support or object the disengagement plan.

Tsukuyomi
Member # 8463

i'm in the middle. it's just stupid to fight ourselfs when all arabs watch us and laugh.

i'm from Elkana by the way. it's near Rosh haaiin.
(not being severed don't worry)

Beanny
Member # 7109

quote:
... Beans and Little Beans ...
Hey! Don't you stomp on the Little Beans!

Join L.L.Bean, the association for Loving the Little Bean. (Yeah, yeah, I know, crappy pun, I don't care that you think it sucks.)

Raia
Member # 4700

Ah, ok. Cool. [Smile]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
we just look like 'em.
I've got a Catholic nose, thankyouverymuch!
Beanny
Member # 7109

From where is the quote, "Little Beans" hater?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Beanny:

quote:
antisemites don't really need excuses for hating Jews. Same thing applies for any racist (against Blacks, Indians, Mexicans, Playstation Gamers, you name it)
So I named it.
Beanny
Member # 7109

Half-wit bigot.

[Razz]

Just joking, I bid you all a pleasant week...Goodnight! It's past 02:00 already and I need to wake up in about 4.5 hours.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I don't need to get up then, even though I was up since 7:30 this morning.

G'night!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tsukuyomi. Welcome aboard! Care to introduce yourself?
[Wave]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tsukuyomi
Member # 8463

k, i'm Micheal Elboim, 19 years old from Israel, Elkana.
came here by a dream of what happend to Ender after Mind and yelled Orson about the stupid ending. XD
how are you? I have a yucky morning... need to take a shower.
אכככככס... אני מזיע ודביק!! איייייח אני כל כך שונא את זה! חייב להתקלח דחווווף!!!11אחדאחד3

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not speak Hebrew, but have been puzzled by a song from the band, Mudvayne, which is an alternative metal band made popular recently.

The song is titled 12:97:24:99, and is 11 seconds of silence. I was doing a little digging, and read that the song is in reference to a passage mentioned in the Kaballah/Kabbalah (sp??? I have referenced it listed with both spellings).

Hopefully, this topic is not offensive to any one here. I do not understand the difference between Rabbinical teachings and the mystery school teachings that a websearch mentioned. I am basically naive about all this, and hit a wall in finding any way to look up this passage on the internet...

Any insights would be appreciated!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

If you're asking what's so special about the Kabbalah (which I guess is what you meant), the answer is that the Kabbalah is "only" for people over the age of forty who've acquired a great understanding of mainstram Judaism.

I haven't read the Zohar yet, so I don't know what's in it; my Aramaic vocabulary is at the level of law, not at the level of mystical stories.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tsukuyomi, welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Alucard, kabbalah (or however you want to spell it in English -- like all transliterations, there are many options) is currently controversial within the Jewish community.

No, that's not quite right. Real kabbalah is no more controversial than it ever was (which is only slightly). It is, as Jonathan alluded, traditionally only studied by those who are well-grounded in Torah knowledge and at least 40 years old.

However, in the last 10 years or so, some groups have found a way to peddle what I would call pseudo-kabbalah. Thus popularizing the concept, but what they are selling bears only a very superficial resemblance to actual kabbalah. I know nothing of the rock group you mention, but I'd have to assume they are getting their "kabbalah" info from some place like the Kabbalah Center (of 20/20 fame).

The rest of y'all (not you, Raia), go eat some matzo brei. Clearly, low blood sugar has muddled your tiny brains. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Kabbalah is something that you can the way Madonna did, but that's a disgrace for the whole art of Kabbalah study. She knows virtually nothing about Judaism (I'm talking about levels sufficient enough to give grounds for Kabbalah understanding), so what does she expect?

Were she a great Muslim theologist or Imam who studied the Jwish religion - fine. Were she a devoted Jew who's lived religiously and academically for 40 of life - fine. But someone who dives in to the deepest waters without knowing how to swim is not going to yield anything but a frown. The same go to these Kabbalah rock bands.

I'd love to read the Zohar, but there's a reason for the norm of not reading it till you're 40, and I probably won't be tempted to read it for another dozen years at least, assuming I'll really know a lot of Judaism. Hell, I don't want to end up as Shabtai Tzvi.

Tsukuyomi
Member # 8463

they say that if you read the Kabbalah you get insane!
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the plot to take over the world:

http://www.internationaljewishconspiracy.com/

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the insights on the Kabbalah. I wish Catholicism were as interesting as Judiasm sounds! And if reading a text were possibly going to make me go insane, that might just make it all the more alluring. You all must have great willpower and respect for your faith, and I commend you.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Catholicism can be very interesting! The lives of the saints, the pseudo-mystic "Catholic" folk rituals practiced in different parts of the world (including right here in America); all kinds of stuff makes for very interesting reading. [Smile]

*has an aunt and uncle who are very devout Catholics and worked at a Catholic school, and means no disrespect*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Alucard...:
Thanks for the insights on the Kabbalah. I wish Catholicism were as interesting as Judaism sounds! And if reading a text were possibly going to make me go insane, that might just make it all the more alluring. You all must have great willpower and respect for your faith, and I commend you.

Reading Kabbalah can only make you insane if you understand it. So I figure I'm safe (not that I'm about to try it). [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Before you begin the study of Kabbalah, you should be well-versed in Talmud. Here is one page of Gemarah (part of the Talmud). There are 63 volumes. Big volumes. It is a life's work to learn.

Once you can make sense of that page, and all the other pages in the volumes, you can find a teacher and begin to learn Kabbalah.

I think that Madonna may be skipping the fundamentals.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I studied about 2 pages of Gemarah before with my very-observant Chabad cousins. It was hard. Especially since I understand so little Hebrew.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin] Tante, the page you linked to is from Chabad of North Beverly Hills. I know them -- I currently teach one their daughters, and have taught a couple more.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.