FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is free will worth the suffering it entails?

Author Topic: Is free will worth the suffering it entails?
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine that one day God comes to you and offers you the chance to eliminate all of the pain and suffering of the world. He says that if you choose to do so, everybody will be happy all the time, everybody will always do the right thing, and there will be no suffering whatsoever.

However, imagine that in order to do this, God says that everybody must lose their free will and give up the freedom to do what they so choose. Nothing can ever go wrong, so nobody can be allowed to have the freedom to choose any wrong option in any situation. There is no possibility of failure, so there can accordingly be no possibility of achievement. There can be no dreams because everybody already has everything they want. There can be no advancement because the world is already as advanced as it can be. The whole world is content, but at the same time it is static.

Imagine God gives you that choice... Would you choose to throw away our current painful world, and move all of us into this potential "utopia" where there is no suffering and no free will? Or would you choose to stay where you are, in this painful world, for the sake of free will and the chance to achieve something? Imagine that you must choose one way or another...

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go out on a limb, and side with G'd on this one. Whatever sort of free will He sees fit to bestow on us is what I'll accept.

Sometimes you just got to figure that Father Knows Best.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
What if there is no free will?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, as a Mormon, I believe I've made this choice once before.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I choose free will
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Whatever sort of free will He sees fit to bestow on us is what I'll accept.

Was this sentence intentionally hilarious?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Inadvertantly hilarious.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I would choose free will every time.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aurinona
Member # 8443

- posted      Profile for Aurinona   Email Aurinona         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, out of curiosity, have you been reading OSC's Worthing stories? They posed a similar question of a painless existence versus the greatness that can grow out of suffering.

There have definitely been times in my life when I would just have said "make it stop hurting"- quite a few of them- but in the end, I think that it's that suffering that has made me who I am today, and I'm grateful for the lessons it's taught me.

I'll freely admit, though, that I wasn't in the 'privileged' position I'm in today (food, roof over my head, clothes, etc), or if I was in the middle of a depressive episode that I didn't know how to get out of, then I might not be so willing to accept the responsibility and pain that free will entails. Under those circumstances I'd say the decision would be motivated by my own wish for release rather than a general wish for the world, however.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here is a question I asked my world religions class when I taught about the problem of evil: could God, being omnipotent, give us free will AND a world free of evil and happiness? or at least a world where the least amount of evil is seen?
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Free will is an illusion anyways, surely the only thing that drives mankind are ad campaigns and tasty flavored sodas.

We are all slaves to the media! Tinfoil hat, engage!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a world in which humans, through their own free will, work to end as much suffering as possible. I wanna have my cake and eat it too.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aurinona
Member # 8443

- posted      Profile for Aurinona   Email Aurinona         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the tasty flavored sodas, Rico, just the caffeine in them. *lovingly strokes a soda can* Yesss, my sweet, sweet addiction.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Suppose we had a world without suffering.

Then no one would be able to inflict suffering on another.

If the world has free will, then it must be that people have choices; but these choices don't include hurting people.

So you could flip on the radio, if music was good for you and your passengers, but you couldn't listen to things that would harm you.

You could say nice things to people, but if you wanted to tell them something hurtful, your mouth wouldn't work. Or else their ears wouldn't.

No guarantee that God's estimation of harm would match ours. It might be that you decide that only having choices God (or government) approves is like having no meaningful choices at all.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Promethius:
I choose free will

you and Neil Peart [Wink]

Does anyone else feel like this is central to "Unaccompanied Sonata", too?

[ August 06, 2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:
Well, here is a question I asked my world religions class when I taught about the problem of evil: could God, being omnipotent, give us free will AND a world free of evil and happiness? or at least a world where the least amount of evil is seen?

If God is omnipotent, yes. He can also make a boulder he can't lift and lift it, too. [Smile] I see no reason why omnipotence needs to conform to logical boundaries.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas many people see no reason it shouldn't [Wink]

Omnipotence is ill-defined at best. While the sentence "He can also make a boulder he can't lift and lift it, too" seems to make sense because it fulfills english's syntactic requirements, to me it makes little more descriptive sense than "He can also penguin piano elephant tick-tock ignite". While one is syntactically sound and the other not, neither one seems to have any practical semantics.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

I get the humor in that! I'll still add what C S Lewis had to say about that boulder thing: you can't make nonsense into sense by putting the words "God can" in front of them!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

The definition of omnipotence that I'm familiar with is being all-powerful, having the ability to do anything. I see no way for that to not lead to logical contradictions. So I don't try to apply logic to it.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Unless "anything" means "anything possible".
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Ah, so you do believe God can penguin piana elephant tick-tock ignite!

Or do you believe God can (literally) make a mammalian flamingo in the shape of blue? (that one's even syntactically acceptable)

Personally, I think that blue doesn't have a shape might be a minor impediment. Or that flamingos aren't mammals (definitionally).

Note that redefining concepts (for instance, redefining what a flamingo is) is not actually a way of circumventing these objections, as what's problematic is the concepts represented by the terms, not the terms themselves.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
the thing about Omnipotence is that even if god could give a flamingo the shape of blue we wouldn't reconize it as such, we would only be able to see things that are brain could properly interpret.

So even if "God can" doesn't mean we could reconize it as such. It's all about interpretation.

As for Free Will vs Utopia, this is a hard question I have no problems with Utopia as long as it was Free Will that got us there. And can still have the free will to leave the hypothetical garden.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to write an eloquant post earlier but gave up after failing.

As Sid said:

I have no problem with Utopia as long as it was Free Will that got us there.

But I could never choose it for others, nor want others to choose it for me, nor choose it for myself. I have to put in the work in order to get there.

To which I'd add, if I didn't have Free Will then I would be suffering. So no Utopia for me in that half of your scenario Tres.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe God can make colorless green ideas sleep furiously, and maybe He can't. In any case, I absolutely and without reservation choose free will.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:

Huh? I can do anything possible.

I can't fly, though, because it's not possible.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Does boredom qualify as suffering? Does not being quite as happy as your next door neighbor qualify as suffering? I think that's the problem with "eliminate all suffering in the world" scenarios: where is the line drawn between what is suffering and what isn't?

What about people who never seem happy unless they have something to complain about? What about masochists? Or goths? Would we have to stop all our guilty pleasures, like junk food or caffeine?

I don't think there's really any choice here.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
I can't fly, though, because it's not possible.
Birds do it, so it must be possible.

The fact that you cannot just shows that you can't do anything possible - not that flying is impossible.

Icec0o1
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Icec0o1   Email Icec0o1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Does boredom qualify as suffering? Does not being quite as happy as your next door neighbor qualify as suffering? I think that's the problem with "eliminate all suffering in the world" scenarios: where is the line drawn between what is suffering and what isn't?

What about people who never seem happy unless they have something to complain about? What about masochists? Or goths? Would we have to stop all our guilty pleasures, like junk food or caffeine?

I don't think there's really any choice here.

--Enigmatic

What he said. I'll go further though and say that free will is an illusion.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

The thing is, you had to say that.

I'm not just making a joke. If we conclude that free will is an illusion, that conclusion is based on deterministic brain processes, which inevitably lead us to conclusions, not becuase they're true, but because this chemical adds to that chemical to make that impulse. There's no particular reason to trust that these reactions give us truth! And the conclusion that free will is an illusion is one of those conclusions, and is therefore not trustworthy -- unless we can find some other reason to trust it.

Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Ah, so you do believe God can penguin piana elephant tick-tock ignite!

Or do you believe God can (literally) make a mammalian flamingo in the shape of blue? (that one's even syntactically acceptable)

Personally, I think that blue doesn't have a shape might be a minor impediment. Or that flamingos aren't mammals (definitionally).

Note that redefining concepts (for instance, redefining what a flamingo is) is not actually a way of circumventing these objections, as what's problematic is the concepts represented by the terms, not the terms themselves.

I disagree. In your scenarios, the language is the problem. You may as well ask, "Can God asdlfasdj?" That word has no meaning (in the English language) and so cannot be used in any sensical way. Your queries aren't quite so obvious, but the error is the same. Those sentences do not contain meaning.

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:

With regards to omnipotence, all things are possible. That's what it means. Once you start placing bounds, it's no longer omnipotence.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
With regards to omnipotence, all things are possible. That's what it means. Once you start placing bounds, it's no longer omnipotence.
If that is true, then God could be omnipotent while simultaneously having limitations, no? After all, if He were not able to be omnipotent while simultaneously having limitations, there would be something he couldn't do. Thus, if He is omnipotent, then He could very well also simultaneously not be able to do anything.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Is free will an illusion?

From my own particular beliefs, the answer is: Does it matter?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

No, Miro, you're missing the point. The point is that they don't contain (practical) semantics, as I stated. Which means meaning. Neither does your sentence. Why are you arbitrarily excluding my sentences that don't contain meaning but not excluding your own?

After all, if God really can do anything, and that means no boundaries, then who are you to say he can't "asdlfasdj"?

Or are you now restricting what God can do to what has meaning in English, or at least some earthly language?

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would rather be free and suffer than be a slave. What sort of happiness can there be for one who is not free?
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I always hated Rush. Not only does the singing suck, but the lyrics are redundant: "I will choose free will." Well, duh.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The definition of omnipotence that I'm familiar with is being all-powerful, having the ability to do anything.
Catholic teaching on omnipotence does not use this definition.

quote:
Omnipotence is the power of God to effect whatever is not intrinsically impossible. These last words of the definition do not imply any imperfection, since a power that extends to every possibility must be perfect. The universality of the object of the Divine power is not merely relative but absolute, so that the true nature of omnipotence is not clearly expressed by saying that God can do all things that are possible to Him; it requires the further statement that all things are possible to God. The intrinsically impossible is the self-contradictory, and its mutually exclusive elements could result only in nothingness. "Hence," says Thomas (Summa I, Q. xxv, a. 3), "it is more exact to say that the intrinsically impossible is incapable of production, than to say that God cannot produce it."
There are two types of intrinsic impossibility:

quote:
1. Any action on the part of God which would be out of harmony with His nature and attributes;
2. Any action that would simultaneously connote mutually repellent elements, e.g. a square circle, an infinite creature, etc.

An example of the first type:

quote:
The absolute power of God extends to all that is not intrinsically impossible, while the ordinary power is regulated by the Divine decrees. Thus by His absolute power God could preserve man from death; but in the present order this is impossible, since He has decreed otherwise.
A more subtle example of the first type:

quote:
c) The creation of an absolutely best creature or of an absolutely greatest number if creatures is impossible, because the Divine power s inexhaustible

It is sometimes objected that this aspect of omnipotence involves the contradiction that God cannot do all that He can do; but the argument is sophistical; it is no contradiction to assert that God can realize whatever is possible, but that no number of actualized possibilities exhausts His power.

The classic example of the second type of intrinsic impossibility:

quote:
Another class of intrinsic impossibilities includes all that would simultaneously connote mutually repellent elements, e.g. a square circle, an infinite creature, etc. God cannot effect the non-existence of actual events of the past, for it contradictory that the same thing that has happened should also not have happened.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.