FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Men in Skirts

Author Topic: Men in Skirts
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if there has been a thread(so to speak) on this, but i saw a few men in kilts like these:

http://robertburnsstore.com/sr_swhdr_blue_camo_kilt.html?

I must say, I thought they looked quite manly and handsome in them, and would welcome the style.

Has anyone else seen these around? I know there was specualtio tht they might come into style after the movie Troy. Then, apparently, someone on one of th Survivor shows wore one.

Anyway, I like them.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Skirts are very comfortable, but I prefer not having to worry about flashing anybody.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ. I find pants to be infinitely more comfortable.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that might be because the reason that skirts are so comfortable to me is sex-dependent.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to ask why Porter knows how comfortable skirts are.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he's worn a hakama I believe. Although since those usually go over gi pants, it's all the convenience of a skirt and all the comfort of wearing pants.

Oh well. They look extremely cool, particularly when the wearer is flying through the air after being thrown.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You could always wear boxers under them, or those boxer briefs.

Come on guys, put on the skirts.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, those men are in kilts, not skirts.
<Crocodile Dundee voice>That's not a skirt, THIS is a skirt. <Crocodile Dundee voice>

Oh yeah, you probably don't really want to click on that link. Can't say I didn't warn you.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
You could always wear boxers under them, or those boxer briefs.

Come on guys, put on the skirts.

No.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The hakama doesn't count since, like you said, you wear pants underneath.

Q: What's the difference between a skirt and a kilt?

A: Spelling and pronunciation.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

MPH: Nah, kilts also have a healthy dose of denial on the part of the wearer.
And usually that little built-in purse in the front. Automatic accessorizing!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

A kilt is also heavy, pleated, knee-length, and worn by men. Even if you throw out the last one, not all skirts are kilts, even though all kilts are skirts.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Nah, kilts also have a healthy dose of denial on the part of the wearer.
[Laugh]

The purse isn't built-in; it's just part of the matching outfit.

Yet again, Jon Boy is correct. Kilt is a subsection of skirt.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then, apparently, someone on one of th Survivor shows wore one.
That would be the pirate.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I'm more fazed at wearing a kilt than I am a nice girls kimono/yukata.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of guys wear skirts (or lavalava etc) It's part of many school uniforms round here. What's the big deal??
Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever seen a guy wearing a skirt of any sort outside of films. Save for perhaps a Scottish event where they're all playing bagpipes, and that isn't exactly common.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Traditional Scottish weddings have kilts.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who wears kilts on occasion. his favorite has cargo pockets.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Where? O.o
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Do sarongs count? Fahim wears them all the time. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The kilts I saw were almost like hiking shorts, with pockets and stuff, and were very handsome. I am TELLING you.

Sarongs are nice, Quid, but one skirt I do not love is the hippie skirt. Saw those at the festival, too.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Several guys regularly wear skirts to the local Contra dance.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft, men started the whole skirt trend. We don't need to go back to that. (Same with makeup, and shaving legs too. AND if they had toilet seats back then... lol)
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried skirts, and I've tried pants. I'm a "pants" man.

As for why I've tried skirts . . . well, it's kind of a long story, but suffice it to say I played Ophelia on stage once. Only once. But once.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic, with a disclaimer like that, I just HAD to click... was that you? LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

It's about time somebody did! I was beginning to think people around here were smart enough to not look at something they were warned not to look at. Common sense prevailing over curiousity is just not a concept I'm familiar with.

--Enigmatic

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I think they were just afraid to admit it...

What was that for? Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that the kilts in that link are in cammo. Like you want to wear a kilt around town, but you want to blend in.

In the skirt vs. pants debate, I come down on the side of skirts. They are very practical if you ever need to use a public bathroom where the floors are yucky-wet. The skirt goes UP, the pants go DOWN, into the yucky-wet.

Also, skirts allow breezes in to tickle the legs, and you do not have to deal with a sweaty-soggy, um, inseam.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Personally, that sweaty-soggy ummm inseam is the reason I prefer slacks. The sweaty soggy causes excessive friction and therefore other unpleasantnesses that are completely avoided with legs. And no, wearing stockings does not prevent that friction. [Frown] ouchie
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody,
"You could always wear boxers under them, or those boxer briefs."
[Smile]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm how do these guys wearing those kilts on the website pee? Do they have to undo the whole getup or is there a zipper hidden there somewhere? Those things don't look like they'd be easy to lift up from the front only.

I don't think I'd wear one of those things even if they did come into fashion, I'll stick to my pants thankyouverymuch!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd be fairly safe in saying to any of my friends, "You buy me the full Scot outfit, and I'll wear it." $239 just for the kilt!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Nah, I think they were just afraid to admit it...

What was that for? Rocky Horror Picture Show?

. . . for?

--Enigmatic

(yeah, ok, it was RHPS)

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I love kilts!!
I went to Alma College which is Scotland USA...kilts were everywhere when it had to do with official college stuff. The marching band wore the official Alma College tartan and my frat, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, was chosen long ago for the honor of flag bearers so we got to wear them too. And the standard of whether you were a man or not was if you went "true Scot". Just beware hard winds or twirling around too fast. [Wink]

Oh, and sit with your legs CLOSED!

Later on when I hung out at my gothic club dudes would wear black skirts all the time. Also very sexy. *drools*

PS> the other thing I love about kilts is how they are a survivor of the Roman toga. Back in the Roman Empire days it was considered unmanly to wear pants.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my jeans. I hardly ever wear shorts. My dad used to get confused every summer. It'd be 90+ degrees outside and I'm out there wearing jeans. My excuse was usually that I was working (shoveling gravel is not fun to begin with, much less when wearing shorts.).

I could probably be convinced to wear a kilt....for a good enough price. Skirts....Gwen would have a hard time getting me to wear one. Too short.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
. . for?

--Enigmatic

Oh, so you dress like that every day? heeeheeee
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Q: What's the difference between a skirt and a kilt?

A: Spelling and pronunciation

Yes, plus the fact that telling an armed Scot he's wearing a skirt is a very stupid thing to do.

Oh, and it's not a purse, it's a sporran.

I love kilts. Love love love them.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I love kilts, and I love skirts. I've worn them both, and I like to see men in either. *wiggles eyebrows*

But I also find Eddie Izzard dead sexy, so perhaps I'm odd.

My brother talked about buying a 'utilikilt' once. I'd love to get my Beloved in one of them. He's got great legs for a kilt - I tried to get him to enter a Bonny Knees contest once, but he wouldn't do it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Kilts are awesome because far more girls are going to strike up a conversation with you because you're wearing a kilt than they would if you're wearing your really comfy jeans.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Oh, and sit with your legs CLOSED!

Later on when I hung out at my gothic club

Sounds like you need to take your own advice, Telp. Or maybe get a longer kilt.

--Enigmatic

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy in college who would wear a kilt on formal occasions. He was very proud of his Scottish heritage--and it looked hawt.

Real men don't wear anything under their kilts. :coy grin:

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
There was this guy in my High School that was a fantastic piper. I mean, he was in commercials and stuff. One of my college proffs, who played and taught bagpipes, knew him by name and spoke of his skill very respectfully.

The High School asked him to play at graduation, then held graduation INSIDE. Everyone was deaf during the speeches, which may have been a blessing.

Anyway, he was also HAWT, kilt or no. Gay, but hot nonetheless.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear kilts because I have no Scottish blood that I am aware of.

I am predominantly English, though, and I have been known to wear a top hat and waistcoat with pocketwatch on formal occasions. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
sarcasticmuppet where you asking me where? New Zealand. My daughter's school has lavalava for males as part of their uniform. 'tis a sight to see teenage males playing rugby at lunchtime in their lavalavas [Wink]
Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love men in kilts. Alas, my husband doesn't have the knees for it! [Cry]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh... men in skirts. My bf wears both kilts and sarongs on a regular basis, and looks dang blasted sexy in them. However, they can lead to awkward moments, even to those who are used to wearing them.
We were in my best friends wedding(he gave her away, as he is her ex, blah blah blah), and he wore a formal dress kilt. It was in another friends backyard, and so we gave the toasts from the porch. Well, the porch was raised about 5ft from the rest of the yard, and Jake has this habit of crouching while waiting to do things, and, well, crouching in a kilt while on a raised surface and in front of a 100 people is not a good idea. Suffice it to say that everyone found out exactly what a true halfblood scotsman wears under his kilt. I got slapped on the back in a congratulatory manner by WAY too many drunken revelers.
Then, just last night, we were doing a fire performance at a fetish ball, and he wore his sarong kilted up pretty high so the flames wouldnt catch the bottom. It was fine and perfectly modest, until he lifted his leg and passed the flaming staff underneath it. Fortunately, we were at a place where nobody even blinked an eye, thinking it was just part of the performance. Wow.
But, no matter the dangers, skirts are still worth it. There is something immensely sexy about a man who is confident enough to pull off wearing a skirt.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I live with two of these men.

The Shirtless Scotsmen.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ian seems to be wearing an Alma College tartan!
Coolness! [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.