FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cooking Crab

Author Topic: Cooking Crab
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

I was just wondering, does anyone know a good recipe for cooking crab?

[Angst]

Basically, I've got a couple live crabs and I feel weird about cooking them alive, or killing them before hand - and I'm not sure the best way to do it.

Someone told me to put the crabs in the freezer for about 2 hours before I cook them and they'll happily slip into unconsciousness and then I can boil them without causing too much pain. Does this sound right? Or, should I just kill them before hand and, if so, how?

Thanks.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Free the crabs!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear it's best to cook them while they're still alive. Freezing sounds like it would kill them. Ice, maybe? I wouldn't be too concerned.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Okay. I think I'll just do it the normal way - thanks.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordKaosnix
Member # 8458

- posted      Profile for LordKaosnix           Edit/Delete Post 
First get a tall stew pot with a lid
Fill it upto 3/4 with hot water
(becouse hot water boils faster)
Squeeze Two Lemons (per crab you have)into it
Chop up a Stick of Margerine and add it
Heat to roaring boil Uncoverd
Make sure pencers are tied before adding Crabs
(Dont use rubber bands or youll ruin flavor)
Add Crabs one at a time
Cover and reduce heat
Crabs will die very quikly
But Cook longer then theyll live in the pot

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Thanks.

I'll be cooking them in a couple of hours.

I've cooked killed crab before, so I'll see how it goes.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to Maryland a few weeks ago and were very disappointed in the crab. We went to a restaurant with good reviews. My dad got a half dozen full lobsters, and my mom and I got other crab dishes. Non of our food had very much flavor. (That's not entirely true. My dad's dinner had flavor, he just couldn't taste any crab over the massive amounts of spice they coated them in.)
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
"Now, foolish crustacean, will you speak of your troop movements?" Be sure to inform them of their fate in good time before you put them in the pot; the adrenaline and other hormones of terror will add to the flavour.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordKaosnix
Member # 8458

- posted      Profile for LordKaosnix           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
We went to Maryland a few weeks ago and were very disappointed in the crab. We went to a restaurant with good reviews. My dad got a half dozen full lobsters, and my mom and I got other crab dishes. Non of our food had very much flavor. (That's not entirely true. My dad's dinner had flavor, he just couldn't taste any crab over the massive amounts of spice they coated them in.)

My sister went on a roadtrip for her honeymoon and passed right through Mariland. She bought this hillarius T-shirt that showed a crab and said:
"I Got Crabs in Marilyn"

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
"Now, foolish crustacean, will you speak of your troop movements?" Be sure to inform them of their fate in good time before you put them in the pot; the adrenaline and other hormones of terror will add to the flavour.

When I started to do this I'm pretty sure I heard my dad murmur, "idiot."

They both turned out fine. I had to cook them separately since I found I actually only have one pot big enough to hold one at a time.

Thanks guys.

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I love foodnetwork.com for recipes. They pretty much have every show they run with full instructions for each dish shown in a particular episode.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.