FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When did you know what you wanted to do with your life? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When did you know what you wanted to do with your life?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic:

Well, we all would, but if we weren't working we'd have to be hunter-gatherers, and hunter-gatherer isn't a profession conducive to hobbies other than cave-painting. [Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 21, newlywed, and am finishing my undergrad in December. I decided, quite recently, that I want to be a pastor, but I know that's gonna have to wait. The m-r-s and I have a bunch of debt that we're paying off in the business world. But whenever God sends me to seminary, I'll go.

Hope that helps :-p

BTW, when I was 17, I didn't even want to think about where I was going to college, nonetheless what to do with my life.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Enigmatic:

Well, we all would, but if we weren't working we'd have to be hunter-gatherers, and hunter-gatherer isn't a profession conducive to hobbies other than cave-painting.

And stick-sharpening.

I mean, if you consider that a hobby, and you're a hunter-gatherer, then you've hit the jackpot in the useful hobby sweepstakes.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
If we were a hunter-gatherer society, I would be the shaman.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
at 36

oh wait, I'm 19.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Diana Bailey:
Don't decide to specialize in high conflict divorce, either personally or professionally.

I could swear there was someone who told you that you were nuts, back when you were doing this as volunteer work.

At least now they pay you! [Razz]

And those kids are very very lucky that you and others like you are there for them. [Kiss]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
31 or 32, I finally figured out that I want to write. I had a career in accounting then. Now, I write. [Big Grin] Unfortunately, the pay ain't so good yet.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aurinona
Member # 8443

- posted      Profile for Aurinona   Email Aurinona         Edit/Delete Post 
23 years old, just graduated from college with a mechanical engineering degree, and I realized I have this piece of paper and NO CLUE what I want to DO with it!

My senior year of high school, I wanted to be a veterinarian, like several others here. I interned in a vet clinic, took extra biology courses, blah blah blah. Got to college. Freshman year was fine...sophomore year felt like running into a brick wall, and a whole bunch of things conspired to tell me that it was Not Meant To Be. Personal problems led to my first failed class ever (organic chemistry), and I HATED comparative vertebrate anatomy. In retrospect, lots of people fail O-chem the first time through, and I hated the anatomy class on account of too much latin that all sounded the same for me- not the best reason to change, and some small part of me regrets it- but I needed to make a lot of changes to get myself back on track mentally and emotionally. New apartment, new major, new boyfriend.

I think I can partially blame BannaOJ's boyfriend for influencing my decision to go engineering. *grin* I like math okay, I like physics, and I like practical problems...and Steve told me that I'd never see Chemistry again if I did it. Sounded great, but you know what?! IT CAME BACK in some of my senior-level courses! Not O-chem, or anything hard, but I never wanted to see ANY of it. Grrr! (Okay, I'm really not mad at him. It was easy Chemistry. XD I just needed to complain.)

I actually rather enjoyed most the classes I took, but I came out feeling like I knew less than I did when I went in. Now I need to find a job (with no experience), and that'll be the test of whether or not I made the right decision.

If not...then I guess it'll be time to make myself illustrate that children's book I keep talking about doing someday.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farmgirl -- you've heard of Gaviotas?
Heard of it? I've dreamed of visiting there ever since I first learned of it. It would be like the ultimate in self-sufficiency. I've read everything I can find on the community. However, they no longer allow travel there because of the dangerous conditions of that country.

Yeah, I know I am kind of an oxymoron all by myself: conservative, religious Republican, with a streak of hippie -- wishing I could turn my own farm into a self-sufficient commune of some sort to shut out the rest of the world's problems...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a while there, neither of them could afford to change jobs, because they couldn't get something else that paid as well as the jobs they hated. (One friend is in grad school now, the other in a more fun job.)
It is a mistake to be under the impresssion that the pay you recieve from a job is the amount of salary they give you. Often times a job with a lower salary actually pays more - although trouble can arise when bills must be paid, because happiness is not the most liquid of assets.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, it can even "pay more" in terms of money despite a lower salary, after cost of living considerations (particularly when viewed in the long term).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl -- yeah, I'm hoping to visit Gaviotas someday too! It's on my wish list of things to do... if you ever hear of travel conditions getting better, let me know!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! A travel partner for a someday trip! Makes it all the more fun!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out what I wanted with my life this very month. Meh. I am somehow, don't know why though, pessimistic about my new dream.

BUT still, I am psyched and energized and I believe in myself. So there.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Tresopax, please forgive my "mistake" of using a term in its generally accepted definition instead of specifying "that paid as well in a strictly monetary and financial sense as opposed to feelings of self-worth, euphoria, or the satisfaction of a job well done"
Sheesh.

Edit: Because apart from the quibble about one word, what you're saying is exactly the point of my earlier post.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.