FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell Rivka What Wireless Thingy to Buy

Author Topic: Tell Rivka What Wireless Thingy to Buy
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out that I will have great difficulty connecting my new desktop to the DSL modem directly. No phone jack in or near the room the computer is meant to be in.

So, that means I need a wireless doohickey for my desktop. I'd rather have a USB-connected one, which can be switched to the other desktop (which will usually not be connected to the Net, or the network) if needed.

I am primarily considering: the Linksys WUSB54G, the D-Link DWL-G122, and the Linksys WUSB12. All have mostly good reviews. Leaning a bit toward the D-Link, which will be the cheapest after rebate.

Opinions? Other options?

Oh, and will I have any trouble running only wireless off my DSL modem, and having nothing hooked up directly via ethernet cable?

[ August 09, 2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I maintain that a PCI card would be a better choice; you will experience speed loss with the USB ones, and they have more driver issues.

Plus, you can find them for $20 without rebate.

But its not a huge issue.

You'll have no problems using just wireless with the 2wire, but when you set it up you'll need the ethernet connection (just use one of the laptops).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If the speed is better with a PCI card, then I'll get one.

I want speed. Speed is good. [Wink]

Do you recommend a specific card?

Maybe one that Dell carries and I bet I can still get it added to my new desktop? Or am I better off putting one in myself?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

How about this one? It got good reviews.
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DLink wireless DWL-520 PCI adapter which I bought from Fry's for less than $20

That one doesn't look bad but I can't say I'm familiar with the brand.

If you're cosindering buying over the internet, www.newegg.com is always a good place to shop.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Buy.com has free shipping. [Wink] But yes, I've used newegg before too. They have the same card, and again almost only great reviews of it.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I maintain that a PCI card would be a better choice; you will experience speed loss with the USB ones, and they have more driver issues
I'm intrigued. What speed loss? Lets pretend you're using regular 802.11G, which maxes out at 54Mbps, and have USB 2.0 ports.

I won't argue the driver issues. Many wireless devices have driver issues.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
PCI cards are indeed faster in theory but I wouldn't exactly say the difference is really noticeable in practical uses. My brother uses an USB card and I use a PCI card, both our connections react pretty much the same way and at the same speed. Distance from our router to either one of our computers is about equal as well.

The reason they'd be faster is because PCI cards interface directly with the motherboard while USB has to go through the USB cable and then into the motherboard.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

quote:
The reason they'd be faster is because PCI cards interface directly with the motherboard while USB has to go through the USB cable and then into the motherboard.
This is true. I won't try to qualify my knowledge in this area, it is substantial. I was wondering if fugu knew something I didn't. [Smile]

USB 2.0 devices max out at 480Mbps, but a PCI card can move data much faster, depending on the motherboard. The data transmission speed between wireless devices, 54Mbps under 802.11G, will probably be the bottleneck. Newer wireless standards, including MIMO routers/adapters, will up that speed considerably.

It's been my experience, that all other things being equal, the user sees no difference in wireless data transmission between PCI and USB. All other things aren't equal, though, and the geek has to evaluate those other factors before making a recommendation.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The data transmission speed between wireless devices, 54Mbps under 802.11G, will probably be the bottleneck.

Well, no. The 1.1Mbps she's likely to get from DSL will be the bottleneck. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

USB has a much higher overhead even if its bandwidth isn't maxed out, because the controller is all on the computer side. Even when not maxed out a significant portion (say, 5% in practical terms) of her transfer will be used just by it being USB. Plus, it has a noticeably longer latency than PCI.

Furthermore, depending on how her USB setup currently is, other USB devices will be using the same bus, adding to the overhead, and adding latency.

PCI does not have the same overhead, and is very low-latency. Also, PCI wireless cards have fewer driver issues than USB wireless devices.

And yes, the theoretical max bandwidth will be governed by the DSL, which is why it doesn't matter if she gets a B or G card. The speed decrease isn't about bottlenecking, its about overhead and latency (which can feel like speed decrease).

[ August 09, 2005, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Fugu, cool, I see your point.

Tom, well hmmm, I wasn't focusing on that part, but of course you're right. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

*whistles for attention*

Guys, while the theoretical aspects are interesting (really -- I've learned more about this stuff in two days than in the two years prior) what I really want to know just now is whether to order that card I linked to, or something else.

Thanks!

rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. Y'all are a lot of help. [Razz]

I had to call someone on the PHONE! *gasp*

*goes off to place order*

fugu13
Member # 2859

Yes, that card will be fine -- 98% certain, there can always be problems, but the reviews for it are good.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka: Queen of the "I can't make decisions for myself" threads.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

PC, I can. And I did. [Razz]

But some of us like to consult experts, because we acknowledge that we don't know everything.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this is too late, be we have a Linksys Wireless Broadband Router that we love. We got it at Circuit City and it was $40 after the rebate.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I want speed. Speed is good. [Wink]

Why thank you. [Hat]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
PC, I can. And I did. [Razz]

But some of us like to consult experts, because we acknowledge that we don't know everything.

And some of us like to research so that we become better informed about the subject so that we can make decisions for ourselves.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to respond to your unwarranted snarkiness, PC. I'll chalk it up to the fact that in the past year I had started to think of you as fairly human.

As it happens, I did do quite a bit of research. But I am not foolish enough to claim that makes me as knowledgeable in this area as someone like fugu or Tom. I share what I know, and ask others to do the same for me.

If I only took, and never gave, maybe you would have a point. Besides, why the hell do you care? I haven't asked YOU for anything!

Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents: often in the technology world, going for both a great deal and great quality at the same purchase don't always happen. It's like asking yourself why the lamp you bought at Wal-Mart broke after 3 weeks, just like the last lamp you bought at Wal-Mart.

As long as you're researching it, you should be fine. Buy.com does tend to have good deals on good products.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This month's Consumer Reports has a bit about wireless thingies.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool. I'll have to nab my parents' copy. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I humbly admit that I know nothing, I am lucky to have a friend who, apparently, knows everything. Thanks, Google.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm generally leery of CR for computer gear, but this is a 5-year old opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, turns out CR gave a grain of salt a bad review. They said it left a bad taste in their mouth but didn't really seem to help... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.