FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Man Dies During 49-Hour Computer Game Marathon

Author Topic: Man Dies During 49-Hour Computer Game Marathon
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you need to go to the bathroom at least?
http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=552462&nid=456

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... wow.

I love video games- but that's insane. I get bored after like an hour if it's a game I've already played before. If it's a new game and I like it- maybe I can stay up till 2 at the most (and that's in the summer)

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a better link to the story. Yahoo! Going to the restroom was pretty much the only did to stay alive...
quote:
SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said Tuesday.

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've read, the game was StarCraft.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't get this at all.

I mean, after a certain point, sheer exhaustion would affect your reflexes, making it impossible to keep playing, wouldn't it? How could you play games in lieu of eating or sleep?

*shakes head*

I suppose video game addiction is as inexplicable as any other addiction, I don't understand people who will risk jail to get high either.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if he won. I hope he did.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he certainly lost the only game that counts.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
If he quit his job to spend more time playing games, I think it's safe to say that he wasn't thinking clearly about the whole thing.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be the obvious answer. Another answer might be that at least he spent his final days doing something he loved rather than bowing under the lash of the Man.

But, yeah... some people can get addicted to anything.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I told this to a friend of mine- his first reaction was why he was playing Starcraft.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
So, he was playing videogames for a little over 2 solid days with minimal sleep or food and he died from that?

Wuss.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<plays taps and observes a moment of silence to mourn the fallen hero>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My life for Aiur! It is a good day to die.

If I recall correctly, Starcraft is huge over in South Korea for some reason. As in, they have professional players there. It makes sense for a fanatical player to play it. It doesn't make sense that he would die from this, though. Maybe he had an underlying medical condition. How sad.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man
Member # 8467

- posted      Profile for The Man   Email The Man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mothertree:
That would be the obvious answer. Another answer might be that at least he spent his final days doing something he loved rather than bowing under the lash of the Man.

I find that very disturbing.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wuss.
I'm with you...

Speaking as someone who has gone for 3 days like that.... I am positive he had some kind of ailment before hand. I mean i once played Civ III for 69 hours in 3 days... I may have slept for a week afterwards, but I lived...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.