FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First Contact Stories (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Contact Stories
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making a list of stories (books, movies, songs, short fiction, whatever) that deal primarily with human first contact with another sentient species. This is just a beginning. Please tell me what I've forgotten or didn't know about.

Fictional Books
Contact by Carl Sagan
The Mote in God's Eye and Footfall by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle
Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series as well as his 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001 series, and Childhood's End.

Movies
ET
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
War of the Worlds
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Alien movies.
The Predator movies.
Short Circuit - well, not really species per se, but another intelligence.
Species

Songs
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft by Terry Draper and John Woloschuk (popularized by The Carpenters)

OK, so I had a longer list but left it at home and this is all I can remember off the top of my head. Feel free to post additions. Also, I'm looking for recommendations on any non-fiction books dealing with the subject (well, dealing with the potential of some sort of first contact, anyway).

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Could you count Children of the Mind? That's the book where they discovered the Descolada was sentient, but it wasn't their first contact with them.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Independence Day! [Smile]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Signs
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
The Abyss
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Batteries Not Included
Lilo and Stitch

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Narnia,
Certainly, actually, I could count Ender's Game (for the backstory on the buggers), Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide (for Jane, and the piggies), as well as Children of the Mind for the Descolada as you mentioned. I can't believe I didn't think of those.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought this thread was going to be about your first experience with contact lenses....
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Martian Chronicles?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
David Brin's Uplift Saga

and Styx's "Sail Away"

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

See, I forgot about Jane. [Smile] That's cool.

If you want to get technical, you could count the Shadow books if we see Bean as a separate species from human. [Wink]

Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek First Contact(duh)
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The War of the Worlds.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
...War of the Worlds...
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Jinx.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, I don't really count Bean as a separate species. He may be one, technically, but he looks and acts human and he is culturally human so there's no "first contact" aspect to the story, really.

I purposefully left out Star Trek: First Contact because contrary to the title, the story has very little to do with a first contact. It's more of a McGuffin. Star Trek, the series dealt with many first contacts, but not with the first time humans made contact with anyone else. By the time in which the series takes place, humans have had generations of contact with at least 3 other sentient species.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's called I Put My Blue Genes On.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.

The Eschaton Sequence by Frederick Pohl.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like half of Larry Niven's books deal with first contact, but it's been a while since I've read any of them.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The humans on Earth in First Contact experienced their first contact with the Vulcans.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

afr, I've only read 3 of his, and two dealt with first contact.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
James Gunn's The Listeners needs to go on the novel list.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the awful "song":

Planet Texas

Kenny Roger's attempt to revive a flagging career by recording a country "song" with the word "Texas" in the title. No one falls for that trick anymore.

and maybe Purple People Eater (wasn't that a song?)

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Baxter's Calculating God is another novel that leaps to mind.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Signs. (That movie is so scary!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Mac, Yeah, but as I said above that wasn't really the point of the movie. It was just a McGuffin - a plot device solely to motivate the action in a film, the film is really about Picard and crew battling the Borg (who they also aren't first-contacting in that movie).
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a big part of Babylon 5 was the disastrous first contact between humans and the Mimbari, and first contact with the Vorlons, the Drak, The Shadows, and about a billion others.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Stranger in A Strange Land could be considered a First Contact novel, as could The Martian Chronicles .
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
And I thought this thread was going to be about your first experience with contact lenses....

And I thought it was going to be stories about your first RL contact with another Hatracker.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Dean Foster:
"Quozl"
"Lifeform"
and the "Damned" series.

I'm sure that there's more. He's pretty prolific. First Contact seems to be something he thinks about a lot. He also wrote a book called "Maori", which may qualify as a first contact book, even though is involves no extraterrestrials.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Alien
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Stephen Baxter's Calculating God is another novel that leaps to mind.

[No No]

I think you mean Robert J. Sawyer's Calculating God. Of which I have a signed hardcover.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, Maori is one of my favorite books. A wonderful non-Sci Fi read.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Gremlins?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed and Ancient Light

Out of print, I guess, but I thought they were fabulous.

http://www.iblist.com/book3538.htm

"Enter Lynne Christie, envoy of Earth Dominion. Her mission: to establish first contact with Orthe's government and evaluate Orthe's readiness for further Dominion relations, a mission delayed mysteriously by her predecessor's untimely death upon the Inner Sea."

Well, maybe she is not the first first contact, but I still think it works.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Several books in the Gateway / Heechee series.

Sphere, Michael Crichton

Armor, John Steakly

I hate dragging Stargate into this, but Stargate (and SG-1)

As for songs, Humans from Earth is a hilarious take on humans meeting beings on other planets (with a very Independence Day style attitude) by T-Bone Burnett.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Color of Distance" by Amy Thomas is another novel about first contact, though on a different planet. The not-as-good sequel is about the same first contact but them being brought to Earth (called "Through Alien Eyes").
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Not limited to first contact stuff, but a good list of Alien film and television is here.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this list include short stories?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Childhoods End, by Clarke.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne McCaffrey:
Dragonsdawn
and one of the Tower books, but I don't remember which offhand. It was somewhat incidental to the plot, in any case.

That very disturbing OSC short that was became one of the three plays in Performing as People. The one with the girl with neither arms nor legs?

Addit: I believe I mean Sepulchre of Songs.

[ August 10, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
"The Color of Distance" by Amy Thomas is another novel about first contact, though on a different planet. The not-as-good sequel is about the same first contact but them being brought to Earth (called "Through Alien Eyes").

I LOVE THOSE BOOKS. And was going to mention them
The Xenogenisis series of Octavia Butler.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I thought I was the only one on Earth who's read them [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I didn't include Short Stories, but they can certainly be included. I'd like one caveat, though: Please include title, author, and publication. The problem I have with short stories is that I often remember the story vividly, but can't remember who wrote or or which magazine or anthology I read it from.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Baxter Manifold Space
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

- posted      Profile for Billy Joel           Edit/Delete Post 
And here I thought Star Trek: First Contact would be among the first mentioned.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
How about The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Nivel and Jerry Pournelle or Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke as candidates.

Also, have you noticed that there are at least two new fall season shows about first contact with aliens. I think one is called Threshold and Invasion is the other. Threshold has Brent Spiner in it as a bit of ST:First Contact connection there. There might be one more, but I can't recall.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I just remembered another story called "Sandkings" by George R.R. Martin. I've never read the story, but I have seen the Outer Limits episode with Beau Bridges based on it. It is the title story in a collection of short stories he wrote in the 1970's.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.