FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you could write just one column to be published in the New York Times...

Author Topic: If you could write just one column to be published in the New York Times...
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
[edit]:...or your favorite major newspaper...

What would you write about? What issue would you air? What position would you take? What would you want the headline to be? Why?

I'm still debating this one, but I'm interested to see the responses.

[ August 10, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Well one time I got a letter to the editor published- then the NYT started blasting my professor and Duke University- so I don't like that newspaper anymore.

So since my dislike newspaper makes it so- I would most likely like to see something ironic. Like bias in the media, or um... I dunno- ooh now I got it.

The book Vote To Kill, written by the dead husband of the dead woman who used to live in my house.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably about the benefits I have realized in my life subsequent to no longer watching news or reading it. It's not that the media is biased, it's just a self-perpetuating stress machine.

Perhaps a more realistic note, an update on the use of slave labor in the growing of cocoa beans.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to write a column in either the Globe and Mail or the National Post about how Canada is soon going to reach a breaking point and that we need to re-think how Confederation works: everything from the structure of the different levels of government, the constitution, the charter, etc.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would write a column citing several instances in which I feel the media and the body politic have failed in their duty to maintain a level of responsible public discourse, and plead for a return to some level of civility -- even if it's only skin-deep -- and assumed respect for the opinions of others.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.