FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My bass sounds well !!!

Author Topic: My bass sounds well !!!
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
After my trip in Ireland (my next thread soon !) I went to my mother's home for her birthday. Four of her five children were here. She is 20 (plus 39 years old, but i said nothing, he ? [Wink] )
And i had for her two beautiful gifts from Ireland : white sweet bathroom towel and a white embroidered cushion, the twice with green clovers. She was happy.

The tomorow, i looked at the room of box and other thing we put in for a long time. And my heart jumped, my eyes became illuminated. I saw something i have forgotten for a long time : my bass amplifier. It is a 50 W Crate with i played so long time during my high school. I remembered all concerts i gave with my band.

I took it ! I'd love to play again with and heard the sound of my bass into its boomer. After a difficult trip with it by train and Metro and again train with this heavy box, i noticed the mutilation : a potential switch were broken, cutted at its base.

I bought another, i made three soldering points and rebuilt it. I link my bass, switch on the amplifier. And...

A deep and sweet sound in my ears went ! aaaaaaahhhhhhh.... I love this bass vibration.
I make one or two parts. I can play now [Smile]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I was eventually able to parse that, though this sentence, "The tomorow, i looked at the room of box and other thing we put in for a long time." escapes me. I believe you're talking about a storage room where you keep boxes of old things and rarely-used items.

Anyways, I, too, play the bass. What kind of bass do you own? What kind of music do you prefer to play?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he meant "Le lendemain, J'ai regarde dans le chambre ou on met des boites et d'autres choses pour longtemps."

[Smile]

I'm glad you had a good trip! I'm excited to hear about Ireland.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Je souhaite que je pourrais parler français meilleur. I had to get help from Babelfish just to write that sentence. *sigh*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Yeah ! You understand well ! It's exactly a storage room the words i needed [Big Grin]

About my bass it is "just" a Jim Harley. You can see her in my blog and by a clic on the picture have the real size.

I love her 'cause her sound is extraordinar for such a bass. My bass teacher always said she sound very well. added to that, I well worked on the heights of my strings to have a quick precision for my hand movings.

I saw Desdemona've got a pretty one too.
What's yours, Primal Curve ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I play Bass also. At home, I have a cheap Squier with a Fender amp. But for performances I use a really nice Ibanez. Ibanez basses are incredible.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

This is what I'm currently playing except mine is a dark green in color.

It's okay. There are a few flaws I discovered in it after a few months of playing. The bridge is off by about 2-3mm so playing slap is tricky (sometimes the strings hit the metal part of the pickups or slide off of the fretboard- quite frustrating). It's an okay bass. I just wish I could afford what I really want.

What I really want is this baby right here (except with a rosewood fretboard). I used to want a Music Man Stingray, but after playing the classic Fender J . . . I just couldn't see myself playing anything else. Great sound, nice, low rumble- and not fugly. My second pick would be a Rick. I played one of these in a local guitar shop and just couldn't get over how fun and funky it was. Great sound too.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

AAAAAahhhh Fender Jazz bass !!!! My favorite (after mine of course [Wink] ).
I have the choice of my actual bass with this so good ampli Crate or a fender Jazz bass with a little 30W ampli. I prefer take the good ampli because of playing in a band. And finally i think i was lucky with my bass. She sound so well !

GaalD, I think you are right about Ibanez. I never am unhappy with such a bass. But the sound of fender is particularly hypnotising for me.

GaalD
Member # 6222

I've used a Fender J as well, they are great, but I don't really like pick guards, since I don't play with a pick. My current bass is pretty bad, slaps and pops have the worst sound on it.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Who does play with a pick?

Chris Squire [Wink]

but back on topic

I play a Mahogany Carvin LB75 and really want a Tobias Killer B5, Maple with pau ferro freetboard

I used to have a little Crate like yours, Choobak... it was a great sounding amp, especially for the price.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Carvin has great products, but I just can't get away from that "Fender feel."
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I used to have a Fender Jazz... and traded it for a Rick 4001... loved both of them.

Played a Geddy Lee signature Jazz once...that was cool [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Yeah, I love the block inlay on the fretboard of the Geddy Lee. If I had the money, I'd have a custom bass made up with mother-of-pearl block inlay on a rosewood fretboard.

Alas, I'll barely be able to afford the American Deluxe models and will just have to deal with what they produce.

GaalD
Member # 6222

"Who does play with a pick?"
I know some people who do and I think most punk rock bassists use picks.
" I can play faster and with a better sound with my fingers"
There's one song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I think it's Parallel Universe, where Flea (the bassist) uses a pick. If you think it's hard to play fast with a pick, listen to the bassline in that song.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we have a Hatrack rock band one day?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

But who will play bass?
GaalD
Member # 6222

There are probably mulitple guitar players and drummers on here. We could have multiple bands [Smile] And then have a Hatrack battle of the bands [Big Grin]
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be the first rock band in history to have too many bass players.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I think you need to have played a song togethor to be considered a rock band [Smile] Or at least have met each other. Are you the same Annie as the one who posted above?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I think we should do Jazz fusion. What do you guys think?
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the new Annie. [Wink]
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I think we should do abunch of Rush covers [Razz]
GaalD
Member # 6222

Chili Pepper covers [Smile] But I wouldn't mind doing Jazz, I like Jazz basslines
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Sorry. Semi-obscure reference to Spinal Tap. I wouldn't do Jazz fusion if you put a gun to my head.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I actually played a gig like that once and, believe it or not, it was kinda fun. I still have the recording...
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

And I think we should name the band Choobak and the Buggers.

Pretty catchy, no?

Sister Annie
Member # 8480

Once I had to sing for a formal party, and I was doing "Fever," accompanied just by my friend on bass. He was a little flaky and threw it all together at the last moment, so I introduced the act by saying, "What we've got for you here tonight is a little bit of free jazz, and what that means is that we didn't practice."
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

You realize we could never play in the UK with that name?
Choobak
Member # 7083

It sounds good Choobak and the Buggers
I added a second singer in the person of Raia, if she is Ok. I think she sings very well.

And about to be 4 bassists, I thinks it will be fun. I heart about a good band with two bassists, a guitarist and a drummer.

But no, i must put a candle because i know who die in the last Harry Potter. Snif.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Choobacca,

You do know that even saying that someone died in Harry Potter and that it made you cry is a huge spoiler? I've already read the books, but someone else's comment in another thread along those lines gave the whole thing away to me.

GaalD
Member # 6222

4 bassists 2 singers...heheh...that's the weirdest band ever [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh oh!

Lilacs and Cold Steel

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Haha, but that would make me think too much of poop... Ninja Poop.

It was a fun turn-of-phrase, though, wasn't it?

Choobak
Member # 7083

I gave up to understand the two last post...

What is this Lilacs and Cold Steel and this Ninja Poop ?

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Choobacca, go here.

Not that you will understand half of what we're jibbering on about, but at least it will give you some context.

Choobak
Member # 7083

And that why i understand i don't practice english since my first year in this world... poop was not in my vocabulary... [Big Grin]

But about Lilacs and Cold steel, i continue too stay in the blur...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.