FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » British man married to three different women...and none of them knew it

Author Topic: British man married to three different women...and none of them knew it
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously bizarre.

quote:
LONDON - Some people bring flowers, others bring balloons. When Melvyn Reed's three wives showed up to visit him at the hospital, they brought an unexpected curtain call to his years as a double bigamist.

British police confirmed that after Melvyn Reed woke from his triple bypass heart operation earlier this year, his complicated marital affairs took a turn for a worse. All three of his spouses had turned up at the same time, despite his efforts to stagger their visits.

Media reports say that, upon realizing that something was amiss, the wives held a meeting in the parking lot, and learned that they were all married to the same man.

[ROFL]
I feel this takes serious skill.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait 'til the other seven wives hear about this.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The article makes it sound so benign - "the wives held a meeting in the parking lot" - but can you imagine how that conversation must have been?

I'm assuming some very choice words were said about the character lying upstais in bed.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Once when I was chaplain-on-call at a hospital I was called to the family waiting room in Emergency. As I walked into the Emergency Department, one of the nurses pulled me aside and said, “Before you go in there . . . the one in the red shirt is the wife, the one in the pink shirt is the girlfriend.” o_O They’d apparently just found out about each other as well.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I found it unbelievable in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (Vinculus had five wives, none of whom knew about the others). Guess I should've suspended my disbelief.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not hard to figure out why he had the heart attack at the tender age of 59. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you suppose you do? Tell them all that you have to travel a lot for work? I think I would start to be suspicious if my husband wasn't, you know, sleeping at home.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, twinky. I think it would have been easier to pull that off in that era. Some sailors had wives in every port. [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I saw a movie about this once....

I can't remember, but I think it was a guy who had two wives in the hospital both giving birth at the same time who didn't know about each other... or something like that.

Anyone remember this?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Malcolm in the Middle has an episode about this. I think "Fool for Love", by Sam Shepard, also has this theme.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Where did he find the energy to maintain 3 households?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When Melvyn Reed's three wives showed up to visit him at the hospital, they brought an unexpected curtain call to his years as a double bigamist.
Shouldn't that be "trigamist"?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, only two of the marriages were bigamy (edit: though of course, you were likely only going for the joke [Razz] ).

Also, it appears that he didn't live with all three at once, but that he married each after separating from the previous (and had recently left the third to return to the first).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

It might have been Quantum Leap... I just can't remember.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
And what about filing taxes? One would think that would cause problems, too.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that man deserves a cigar...

If I were him, I'd be smoking a lot and hoping for another heart attack before any of my wives returns to castrate me...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this and immediately thought, "Gee, that was hard enough in Fable."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think I saw a movie about this once...."

"Coffee, Tea, or Me?"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Why on earth would anyone want more than one wife?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the Mormons use to have more than one wife?
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Liz, that title doesn't ring a bell. But I didn't see the whole movie either. (I think it was a movie.) It just happened to be on and I watched part of it.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see 2, maybe 3 wives, tops. Any more is just crazy.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
arn't muslims allowed 4 but unlimited amount of misstresses?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
They get four wives in India, by law.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Don't they have laws against cruel and unusual punishment over there?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, they don't even give you one in our crappy western society.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Abbott and Costello routine I believe.

Abbott: If you marry both girls, that's Bigamy.
Costello: If I marry both girls I thinks its awfully big of me too.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Jebus - [Big Grin]

Perhaps I should say if a Muslim man can find four women who will deign to marry him, and he can survive long enough to do so, the law allows it.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Heh, heh, Dan. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Liz, that title doesn't ring a bell. But I didn't see the whole movie either. (I think it was a movie.) It just happened to be on and I watched part of it.

Bev, the movie I am speaking of was a 60's or early 70's movie, and he has a wife in England and one in the US. One is a stewardess.

Nope, SHE has the two husbands!

http://www.vh1.com/movies/movie/84791/plot.jhtml

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

In Paint Your Wagon the female lead has two husbands. [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Muslim law in Sri Lanka means a man can have up to four wives as well. Fahim has an uncle who has two.

The mistresses bit for Muslims is hogwash. It is against Islam to engage in extra-marital sex.

And also in Sri Lanka, according to Kandyan law, a woman can have as many husbands as she wants, as long as they're all brothers.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Rand Al'Thor?
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
quid: as long as they are all brothers...? Doesn't sound right.

But ya maybe the three wives will accept that they all love their husband and might all move to one house and one bed with him? He'ld be an encrebibly luck SOB then.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There was definitely a Doogie Howser like this (only I think that schlub only had two wives). I guess the moral of the story is: Marry more than one wife, and your heart will give out.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it legal in the U.S. for women to have as many husbands as they want? I thought Dag told us that in some polygamy thread or other.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just not explicitly forbidden yet.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, probably because there is a lack of women stupid enough to put up with more than one of us. [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there have been polyandrous marriages in our history.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.