FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sometimes the good guys win one

Author Topic: Sometimes the good guys win one
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell Johnson goes free

Yay. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I recognize that because there was no law permitting them to be held further, they couldn't be imprisoned further.

But this is in no way a win for the good guys.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On March 24, 1998, Johnson, then 13, and Golden, then 11, stole high-powered rifles from Golden's grandfather. Dressed in camouflage, they waited in the woods behind the school until the lunch hour, when Golden ran into a hallway to trigger a fire alarm.

As classmates and teachers filed out of the buildings, Johnson and Golden opened fire. Children ducked or scrambled while teachers tried to herd pupils back into the building. Four students and Shannon Wright, an English teacher, were killed; 10 others were injured.

Johnson, on his 14th birthday, admitted in court that he took part in the slayings and offered an apology.

"I really thought that no one would actually be hurt. I thought we would just shoot over everyone's head. When the shooting started, we were not shooting at anybody or any group of people in particular," he said.

[Eek!]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, think of it this way...there is more than one legitamite reason for owning a gun....and this kid is one of them.

I wouldn't be sure of my reaction if he moved near me, but one thing is for sure...given his past I would damn well be armed from that day forth.

This is just plain disgusting, minors or not, and he should never have been let out of jail. At the very least he should have been kept indefinatly in a mental institution.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
Though there are also those who would argue that we would be beter off if noone could own guns, that way this sort of thing would never have happened.

Though in reality the issue is much more complicated.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
"There is no connection between owning a gun and shooting someone with a gun, and not owning a gun and not shooting someone. We've done studies, there's no connection, and you'd be a fool and a communist to draw one."
--Bill Hicks

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how the good guys win one in this situation. It is a very sad situation and one can only hope that the kid really has turned his life around. Who knows what he's learned in the detention center.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.