FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Most Fun Dates Ever (Update- How it went)

Author Topic: Your Most Fun Dates Ever (Update- How it went)
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
I need help. I'm going on a date with this girl on Saturday. It's our second date and I'm drawing a blank on what to do. We both have the day off work so it could during the day or at night. It's our second date. Our first didn't go as well as it could, (we went to a play and dinner) but we got along good enough for a second.

So what are some of your most fun dates that you've had in the past? I need to know some good ideas by tomorrow afternoon.

?

P.S. Remember I am a college student = not much money.

[ August 14, 2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: ? ]

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see. The problem with plays or movies for early-on dates is that you can't really talk, and that's important for the whole getting to know each other better thing.

How's the weather where you live, and are there any fairs going on or amusement parks? That's usually a good date, and there's rides to cuddle on and games for you to valiantly try to win her a stuffed animal in. (play that bit for laughs if you're not winning anything, it's still a sweet gesture). Show your fun side/inner child by taking her on a merry go round or such.

What about museums? Fairly intellectual, but you generally have to talk in whispers, which can be a good intamacy step. Depending on your majors you may not want to go to an exhibit one of you is an expert on.

Nature walks, hiking, and picnics are all good if there's any decent parks you could go to.

Let us know how it goes.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

I'm actually in the Salt Lake valley. So Lagoon's kind of close.

The mountains are close and always a good place for outdoor dates. That's what I'm leaning toward right now. But if a better idea comes along...

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not hansenj
Member # 8066

- posted      Profile for not hansenj   Email not hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my most fun dates have been quasi reversions to childhood. Go to a playground at a park or a local elementary school ad play around on the equipment, swing on the swings, etc, and bring along some sidewalk chalk or bouncy balls, if you are double dating, bring chalk and a ball and play four square or some such nonsense. Then eat popsicles or ice cream cones or something. These are fun because they encourage teasing and talking, but they also allow for plenty of nonverbal interaction so you don't feel like you have to keep a running conversation. Good luck! [Wink]
Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Gilgal Gardens.

750 East 5th South, Salt Lake. It's free, too.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Show your fun side/inner child by taking her on a merry go round or such.
Yea, girls eat that sh!t up.

"Oh, you're so silly!"

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
My most wonderful date was a concert in the théatre des champs élysées in Paris. That was a very pleasant classic music with a very loved girl.

*sigh*

But i cannot really give an advice.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that my best date ever is an option in your location. *ponders*
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great. It wasn't my question, but I'll use the answers!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
The best date is one that is personal, not "typical," and where it is obvious that you paid attention to the details.

This can be something like preparing a picnic basket for the end of a hike along a mountain stream. You come prepared to walk in the water on the rocks, which is inevitable. So, you bring a towel or something to dry your feet off before you put your shoes and socks back on. You bring a blanket to spread out somewhere so you can eat. Make is simple, yummy, and romantic.

Or it might be planning a tour of your own home town (you know, the things that the tourists go to but the residents never quite find the time?)... a museum, lunch at a cozy little cafe, and finish with a walk downtown window shopping or something...

Or it could be something completely different. Just make it Personal, Unique, and Planned. (Don't be a freak about time once the date starts, though.)

The most boring dates would be the ones where you go see a movie and go to a typical restaurant...

But what do I know? I didn't date much before I got married. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, a second date, huh.

I've heard of those.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Go on a picnic and games. If possible have it as a group date. That way there are other people there to help the conversation along.

The Peace Gardens are also nice. 1000 S 900 W SLC and it's free.

Tracy Aviary(sp) if you both like birds.

I would say that Lagoon is a bit expensive if you are trying to save some money.

Relax and enjoy your time together and have fun.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my most fun dates also didn't cost any money, or very little. But did give lots of chances for communication. (That's why I hate going to movies as a date -- no chance to talk to each other).

Things like walks in the park or longer hikes for those who are outdoorsy. One great date included a huge snowball fight (yeah, it was winter though) after dark under full moonlight. *sighs romantically*

Ice cream -- hotdog stands - that kind of thing. But I'm simple and easy to please.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Pick a busy street, walk down it, and stop everywhere that seems interesting. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gilgal Gardens.

750 East 5th South, Salt Lake. It's free, too.

I've never even heard of this. How did I miss it? It looks like fun.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting turtles in the creek. That was FUN! Actually the BB gun we were using barely had enough power to propel the bbs out and they would just bounce off the turtles' shells. And they made more of an arc than a straight trajectory. Sooooo, find a really crappy BB gun and take her turtle shooting. That was one of my first dates with my now wife, and today (after a few more crazy dates and two little boys) we celebrate 5 glorious years.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
April 1.

[Wink]

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has to be somewhere between a movie(no talk) and a picnic(all talk).

One of my favorite first dates with my husband was when we went fishing. There was activity and talk time, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm probably a little peculiar, but towards the end of my dating life I stopped trying to guess and would call the other person up when it was my turn to plan a date and say, "but what do you *want* to do, seriously?" I'd grown tired of the, "I don't know, whatever you want" response. If the person didn't have a strong opinion, as was often the case, I'd bounce ideas off of them, so that I could at least avoid a total dud. I.e. going to the local waterpark and then finding out they can't swim. Sometimes I'd coax out of them an admission that there was a movie they really wanted to see, or a museum they'd been trying to get to, and then at least one part of the date would go well.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Mini-golf.

Seriously, it's a great date.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Mini-golf is fun. You could go to Hollywood Connection they have mini-golf and rollerskating/blading, and they are kind of an amusement park. (It's by the E-Center) And they have movie too.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is glow-in-the-dark bowling in Salt Lake City. I bowled my best game ever there. (Score = 112 *bows* [Razz] <-- the self-mocking use of the smiley) It was very fun.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking the Clark Planetarium would be an awesome date. I'm just too anti-social to find anyone to go with though. [Smile]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Most fun on a date.... Silly Hat Mini Golf! Not only do you have fun because you feel silly and (while wearing silly hats) you are allowed to act silly, but the people around you also get a laugh and can do silly things as well. Also, it brightens up everyone's day to see that being a goof doesn't have to stop when you pass the age of 12!

When I lived in Florida I spent many evenings with my friend Elliot ( and once his roommate Ken ) going to play silly hat mini golf. It is also helpful if you have a stock of silly hats so that you can make this a semi-regular thing to do. It will help show your date that you like to have fun, can laugh at [Laugh] yourself, and don't take things too seriously. (it also entertains small children, parents of small children, and the teenagers who think you are a dork for wearing said silly hat! [Blushing] )

If you do this in a small group it can be even more fun! (Consumption of alcoholic beverages prior to tee off will also help those golfing with you to immortalize your goofy antics, but is not suggested as the game involves swinging metal clubs, hard little flying golfballs, and other people who may take offense at being accidentally mistaken for an "obstacle" or sand trap! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
In case of inclement weather, wear silly hats and go to a museum. Try to keep a straigh face when people look at you as if you escaped from an asylum. (for those who enjoy gambling... bet $1 that your date will not be able to keep a straight face and will "lose it" before you will! It keeps things interesting, and whoever loses can buy the other a soda!) P.S. make sure that your date doesn't mind being silly... if they do they will feel embarrassed and that is not a good way to go at the beginning of a relationship! Happy Dating!
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
my most fun date:

04/02/2005

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is weird.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK,

Those are great!

We used to have weird tie day at work. I miss that...

Silly hat dating is such a great idea!

[Hail]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[quote]I bowled my best game ever there. (Score = 112 *bows* [Razz] <-- the self-mocking use of the smiley) It was very fun.

I'm waiting for my best par-72 golf score to be lower than my best bowling score.

It will mean dramatic improvement in one or both. [Razz] (self mocking)

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

The Plan:
Girl works at same place as me. We both close the night before the date. I have her follow me after work to the local DI(thrift store) were we proceed to choose the ugliest, flashiest shirts for one another. I take the shirts home and wash them that night. The next day, wearing our extremely embarrassing shirts we go to the International Peace Gardens. Thank you whiskeysunrise for that. After the gardens, we proceed to my house where we make our own pizzas with pre-made pizza crust, then proceed to eat them. After dinner we go up to a hill overlooking the valley and watch a movie on top of the hill using a portable electric generator. This way we could still talk and it would be an interesting way to watch a movie. End of date.

What really happened:
Girl leaves work early so we can't get ugly shirts. Can't find anyone who owns an electric generator and tried to late to rent one. Read JenniK's Silly Hat Mini Golf idea and thought it was great. Decided to do that instead of the movie. Went to gardens. Was nice, but very short. She suggests hiking Ensign Peak. While hiking she tells me a phobia she has about airport metal detectors. Turns out she really doesn't like them going off because she hates drawing attention to herself. That equals no Silly Hat Mini Golf.

After hiking she still isn't hungry so we go mini golfing first, just with no silly hats. Then we went to my house to make and eat the pizza. End of date.

Despite the date not going as planned, we still had some fun. She’s a really nice, fun girl. I’m just not sure we really gelled that well. The other problem is she’s going down to BYU and I’m going up to Utah State.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I’ll have to try the others on future dates. If you have anymore feel free to post them.

?

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I love the ugly shirt idea! Perhaps someone will come along who will really want to do that as much as you do, I would keep that one in mind.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Someday...a girl is going to show up at your door with an ugly shirt for you to put on. [Big Grin]

What a fun idea.

In the future when your date tells you something like "I hate drawing attention to myself" the proper response is
"Oh, then I guess going naked to the art museum is out of the question."

It's kind of an ice breaker.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
my most fun date:

04/02/2005

[Razz]

I think a lot of us had fun on that date, actually. I seem to recall laughing a lot.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The other problem is she’s going down to BYU and I’m going up to Utah State.
Wow! Talk about incompatable! [Roll Eyes]

Seriously, why is that a problem? [Confused]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what's known as 'geographically incompatible'.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I google-mapped it, and it's, like 2 1/2 hours from BYU to Utah State. I'm from New Jersey, and I figured that everything in Utah was pretty much in the same neighborhood.
Ignorant Shvester --> [Dont Know]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yeah, I think New Jersey could probably fit inside the Salt Flats or something.

They've got Tabernacles bigger than New Jersey.

[Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.