FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My own Puter problem not sure if solved.....

Author Topic: My own Puter problem not sure if solved.....
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
so it would appear I am asking for help/advice...

A: My DVD burner no longers burns dvd's or for that matter cd's. After reinstalling burning software my dad and I decided it was probly my burner, we brought it (after 2 months) to the puter store (MDG a canadian puter firm) They did their little diagnostic and confirmed that its NOT the hardware its the software, and said that my hard disk and drive are OK, and they said that windows is corrupted somewhere and that I should format and reinstall windows.

So luckily since I partitioned my hardrive I have all my stuff on my E: and F: drives and C: only has windows so I don't have to make a backup.

OS is Windows XP Professional (Media Center Edition)

Machine name: HAN-TZU
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: D915GAV_
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/09/04 17:22:53 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: SAPPHIRE RADEON X300SE
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON X300 SE (0x5B60)

So... any comments

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
If you got some spyware or viruses, they may have messed with the registry. This happened to me, and I was able to download a fix for it off of microsoft's support site. I can't remember which fix, or if it would even help you, but it would be worth your while to go there and search around.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe... my PC is named Han Tzu as well.

As long as your data is on other drives, reinstalling Windows on C: probably wouldn't be too dangerous.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Before you reinstall, make sure you download all the latest drivers from your hardware and copy any installers for programs you use regularly to one of your other partitions. (I actually keep a partition on my system JUST for installers and a ghost image, so I can reinstall Windows on a whim.)

The actual reinstall is quite simple, and would probably fix your problem -- especially if you go whole hog and reformat.

That said, I doubt it's spyware OR a corrupted Windows installation; rather, I suspect that you've installed multiple programs capable of burning DVDs or CDs, and one of them is preventing the other ones from working. This happens all the time.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually seen the problem before as well. It ended up requiring a reformat to fix it so go for it.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

... I have both InterVideo DVD creator and Nero on my comp could they be preventing each other from...?

Now I dont know what you mean by installers, but I have my Games folder (where they are installed) plus I moved any ISO i still needed onto my f or e drive so aside from programs like messenger and stuff It pretty much safe to reinstall windows, I just have to make sure zone alarm, and drivers are on cd's/floopies right?

Now as I'm not sure I mentioned the problem is recent, i was pefectly able to burn before even with multiple programs, i thinking windows got corrupt somewhere along the line after dozens of multiple restarts resulting when my comp froze at one time or another.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

okay slowly finding my drivers and the free copy of XP Pro/Home that I got from my college almost all set.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.