FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst Sequels of great originals

Author Topic: Worst Sequels of great originals
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Science Fiction:
Walter M. Miller's Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman, sequel to the utterly amazing A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Your turn...
Pick a category and give your worst sequel of a great original.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
But Bob, how can we pick? there are so very many!

However, I would have to pick "Cheaper by the Dozen" for now.

While I thought parts were funny, and often say to my children, "You soaked his UNDERWEAR in MEAT??(which drives them crazy), I think it took away from one of the most beautiful stories the world has ever known, as a real life story, a novel, a play, and a film.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, my.

I have totally missed the point of the thread.

However, I shall leave it there for all to see what happens when I try to do things quickly.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK.
Here is my pick.
Mrs. DeWinter, a sequel to Rebecca

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Talisman and Black House.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
well, they're technically prequels... but I think it goes without saying that at least Star Wars Ep. I and Ep. II have to make the list
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Talisman is a sequel? Or are you referring to Black House, as the sequel to The Talisman? In which case, while I agree that it was not as good as The Talisman, it eventually improved (after the first couple hundred pages), and I don't think it makes any "worst ever" lists.

-o-

Books: Tom Sawyer: Detective.

Movies: Poltergeist II

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Black House is sequel to the Talisman. I hated it - what I read of it, anyway. And I loved the Talisman.

But this:

quote:
Books: Tom Sawyer: Detective.
Wins hands down. I had surpressed its existence. Considering one of the best sequels of all time came from Tom Sawyer, it's really inexcusable.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Superman III and Superman IV...to say nothing of Supergirl.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You didn't finish Black House? It gets better. I agree that the first hundred pages or so are just awful (and, I'm convinced, entirely written by Peter Straub), and I wouldn't say it's a very good sequel, but it does get better.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

- posted      Profile for Billy Joel           Edit/Delete Post 
Land Before Time 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and whatever else they make.

Clarence, the sequel to It's A Wonderful Life

Austin Powers 3. The second one was excusable at best.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Elizabeth, Belles on their toes is the much less wonderful sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen. It has some good moments (Myrna Loy is always great to watch), but both the book and the movie paled in comparison to the original.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
But Bob, how can we pick? there are so very many!

However, I would have to pick "Cheaper by the Dozen" for now.

While I thought parts were funny, and often say to my children, "You soaked his UNDERWEAR in MEAT??(which drives them crazy), I think it took away from one of the most beautiful stories the world has ever known, as a real life story, a novel, a play, and a film.

Cheaper by the Dozen 2

Be afraid, very afraid.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Highlander 2... so incomprehensibly poorly written that it actually managed to make the first movie worse.

Virginia Madsen was all right to look at and we got to see a little bit of Sean Connery's character again... but that is one movie I really wish I hadn't seen.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh my! Say it isn;t so, JTK!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Any Disney "direct to video" sequel of one of their animated classics.

The started with the weak "Return of Jafar", and have only gotten worse as the years go by.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

So at this point remake means, "Use the same title and any single plot point, then make up the rest?"
Icarus
Member # 3162

Rocky II
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hey, so I didn't miss the point after all, this is also about movie sequels? I take that back, then.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Iron Monkey is an awesome hong kong kung fu for movie with the basic story of robin hood. It has no sequel.

There is, however, another hong kong film called Iron Monkey 2. It is not only terrible, I swear to you that it is not a sequel to Iron Monkey.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Return of Jafar.

There's also Scarlett as the sequel to Gone with the Wind.

And, the Matrix sequels.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say Highlander 2 but someone beat me to it.

But tied with Highlander 2 for the worst sequel ever would have to be Alien 3.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed 2: Cruise Control.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

nfl! I totally agree!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Grease 2

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

U.S Marshalls (Sequel to The Fugitive).
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention "Return of Jafar," but I got beat to it. Then that was totally overshadowed by "Highlander II." So I figure my work here is done.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Gremlins II was pretty bad.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Land Before Time is up to 11, 10 was the Great Longneck Migration, and 11 was, I think Attack of the Tinysauruses.

Rocky V would be my complaint. I didn't mind II or III, and IV was my favorite. But V was a mistake to mankind.

Jurassic Parks II and III were iffy at best.

I agree almost every Disney sequel has been wretched. Though I stopped watching them after Aladdin II and III. I hold out hope for Emperor's New Groove 2 though, it looks good. And Lion King 1 1/2 was awesome.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
Grease 2

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I will agree on Indy, but I haven't seen Havana Nights.

However, I have to plead that while Grease 2 isn't that great a movie, I have a warm place for it in my heart simply because if I ever want to see the football field where my high school graduation was held, all I have to do is watch that movie. It wasn't the high school I attended my senior year, it was the other school in town (Norwalk, CA). But we didn't have a football stadium at the school I went to that year, so it played its football games and held graduation at the other school.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
The Matrix sequels.

The Neverending Story II.

Blair Witch 2. (well, *I* enjoyed the first one)

Halloween: H20

Predator 2

...the list is infinite...

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
OK.
Here is my pick.
Mrs. DeWinter, a sequel to Rebecca

Yes, yes, and yes again!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I second all the mentions of the Matrix Revolutions, and Matrix Reloaded. As for Revolutions, we went to see in in the theatre. There were people there who had dressed up in costumes to see this movie--literally come as "Neo" and "Trinity" who were laughing their behinds off at the dialogue.

Example: Scene where Neo is blinded during confrontation with Bane.

Trinity: Neo. Oh no. Your eyes.
Neo: I'll be okay. It's all right, Trin. But I think you're gonna have to drive.

Agh.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I think for movies, it would make more sense to list sequels that WEREN'T worse!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to books: Alice Borchardt wrote two enjoyable books called "The Silver Wolf" and "Night of the Wolf." However, the third one, "The Wolf King," was horrible. It's been a few years since I've read these, so the first books may very well have been poorly written. But they were interesting to read at the time.

My husband would vehemently disagree with this, but Gene Wolf's "Book of the Long Sun" and "Book of the Short Sun" series were both big letdowns after the "Book of the New Sun" series.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Man, I keep posting, and it doesn't show up.(I think I am pushing "Go,"

Anyway, Carrie, it was horrid! I kept trying to read it, because I was at my parents' house and needed a book, but I couldn;t.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mel, I just purchased Alice Borchardt's first Guinever book. Did you read those?
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I haven't. I confess that I was so disgusted by "The Wolf King" that I stopped looking for her stuff. Was it good?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
For remakes,whoever thought it was a good idea to take the phenomenal film "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and remake it as a sex farce should be drawn and quartered.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Jim-Me Highlander 2 was horrible. That and The Crow 2 were two movies I wish I'd never seen.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
For remakes,whoever thought it was a good idea to take the phenomenal film "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and remake it as a sex farce should be drawn and quartered.

Aw.
I loved "Guess Who". It was hilarious.
And it had one of my favourite songs in it, Sommersault by Zero 7.
That totally made it better by 8 points.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Dune saga's gradual degradation into vapidity has yet to be mentioned. I can't really say at which point in the series that it happened, but it did.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
" There were people there who had dressed up in costumes to see this movie--literally come as "Neo" and "Trinity" who were laughing their behinds off at the dialogue.

Example: Scene where Neo is blinded during confrontation with Bane.

Trinity: Neo. Oh no. Your eyes.
Neo: I'll be okay. It's all right, Trin. But I think you're gonna have to drive."

Are you sure they weren't laughing at the line? I think it was supposed to be a funny line.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark:

My Second Landmark

As a Sequel to:

My First Landmark

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Weis and Hickman's Legacy of the Darksword, the sequel to their original Darksword trilogy.

Yeah, the originals weren't exactly high class literature, but they were fun, with some intriguing characters and plot twists. Legacy, on the other hand, may hold the honor of being the worst book I have ever forced myself to finish.

"Let's take the Darksword world, warp all the characters beyond recognition, and then add EVIL ALIENS!"

Scarred for life, I am.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as eventual sequels, I'd nominate Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, the latter more so than the former. Batman was good, Batman Returns was just as good if not better, Batman Forever began a decline, and Batman and Robin killed the franchise until the current revival.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I reject Batman and Robin as the worst sequel ever simply because I refuse to believe that the movie exists. Any commercials I may have seen for it are merely delusional visions sent to warn me of the end of all cinema.

On the other hand, I liked Alien 3. It's not my favorite in the series, certainly, but I think it's a good movie. Yes, I recognize I'm in the minority opinion on this one.

I dressed up in full costume to go to The Crow 2. This was awesome going in, but on the way out I kinda wanted to just sulk away and hide the fact that I was wearing makeup and electrical tape for such a crappy movie. There's a 3rd one. I haven't seen it, but it's probably safe to assume it's worse. I don't think it even had a theatrical release.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You know, in defense of the Disney cartoon sequels, the are generally direct to video sequels. That's a pretty clear indication that the producers themselves admit they are crap. The best Disney movies are written in such a way that kids can enjoy them on one level and adults on another. The DTV sequels are not like this: they are just for the kids who will watch any garbage as long as their favorite characters from whatever are still in it.

So, if you bought or rented one of these and it sucked, you kind of deserve what you get, I think. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.