FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Environmental types- Solar Parabolic Reflector?

Author Topic: Environmental types- Solar Parabolic Reflector?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was in elementary school, my textbook had a picture of a solar grill that would be so eco friendly that everyone would be cooking on them someday. It was basically a 2-3 ft paraboloid piece of aluminum to focus solar rays on a little tray where you would put your meat (or tofu?) to be cooked. Does anyone know where I could find something like that nowadays? because contrary to the predicitons, they seem not to be availible. Not a solar oven (I found a few of those), but a 2-3 foot paraboloid piece of burnished aluminum...

There's a parabolic mirror on ebay right now that might do nicely, but the guy wants $250 for it and I'm hoping for something a little cheaper.

I want to try some home experiments with the article linked by Dag about solar powered stirling engines.

Thanks for any and all help.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Solar grill

Try using google, this was one of many choices....
I am sure there are more options there.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

well crap... I feel stoopid.

I swear I used google, but I gave up on the "solar grill" terminology before I got there...

thanks Kwea!

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

well, some of them are STILL about solar ovens, but that is all I did, just used solar gril...I had to go through a few sites though...

I am sure you could find a company that makes that sort of thing as well, but that site said it was about $215 for teh whole thing...cheaper than the mirror alone on ebay, right? [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

How to make something like that on your own...
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Oh, man, I didn't even think about fresnel lenses... conventional lenses would probably be prohibitively expensive, but this should do nicely.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

YES! $60! now we're cooking with... um... light?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Best solution I found....satilite dishes are parabolic by nature...find a cheap one and cover it with reflective materials. [Big Grin]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Well, they melted a penny with it... guess I'm going to have to re-think the idea of using copper pot bottoms as the bases for my Stirling engine [Smile]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

The aluminum foil covered satellite dish was high on my list of options, yes...
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
We used one to cook hot dogs in high school math after calculating the equation of the parabola. The same math teacher also had us calculate the volume of a watermelon using integration.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents-in-law recently cooked dinner and dessert with their solar oven. Turned out pretty good, although they said the temperature only reached about 300°F.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.