FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Atlanta - how to kill a few hours?

Author Topic: Atlanta - how to kill a few hours?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be in Atlanta with a female friend on the afternoon of August 20th, and will be child free for approximately 3.5 hours... any natives have recommendations for how to spend that time?

Food, museums, and outdoor attractions are all valued recommendations.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
You're in for some treats.

Outdoors: Stone Mountain. If you can go to the laser show, it's great. If not, there's a train to ride out there (I always drove), and you can hike up the mountain.

Museums: the Atlanta Museum of Art won't touch Chicago or MOMA, I'm sure, but it's still worth the trip.

There are often concerts at Piedmont Park. When you get there, pick up a copy of Creative Loafing (free, and found almost everywhere) to see what's up.

I never cared that much for Underground Atlanta (shops and bistros), but it exists, and if Dante's Down the Hatch is down there, you'll get some famous fondue. All up and down Peachtree, from 10th Street north into Buckhead, an ever-changing array of great places to eat. Last I heard, Dante's is also at Lenox Mall.

Little Five Points was Atlanta's (tiny) hippie hangout in the 60's, and last I saw it still had some interesting places to eat. East of there, the Dekalb Farmer's Market has things from all over the world (but you'll have to cook them yourself), and every cashier speaks multiple languages.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Center for Puppetry Arts is great.

Depending on the time of day you are there, Dad's Garage has some amazing improv.

There are two amazing people residing in Kennesaw.

umm and an interesting chick in woodstock along with a few guys in and around atlanta.

that is all

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Coca Cola Museum, just across the street from Underground Altanta. Everything Coke-related, vintage commercials, and, at the end, samples (as much as you can drink) of every variety of soft drink that they make all over the world. There are some oddball flavors out there -- litchi, mango, coconut. It's not high art, but it is high-fizz.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for suggestions and keep them coming.. will run them by guest and make a choice...

Ben, how much is admission to see these amazing, interesting people and their co-Georgians?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
$37 a head., i mean free.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- got in for free.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the Coca Cola museum is free. Watch out for the gift shop at the end though...
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Center for Puppetry Arts is $8 with no show (I just took some folks there on Thursday, in fact). With a show it varies--usually I think it's $12-$14 for a show + admission to museum + a puppet-building workshop.
It is much more fun than you might think.
www.puppet.org for more information.

Coca Cola museum is definitely not free. I'm not sure how much it is, though.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.woccatlanta.com/
World of Coca-cola is $9. And I really don't think it's worth that. I did it and the puppet museum in one day last fall, and was far more impressed by the puppet museum. And I don't even like puppets.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting line could get long for World of Coke. You can just hung around the Lenox [Big Grin]
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the underground when I used to live near Atlanta.

The Coca-Cola museum is much cooler than it sounds, and I highly recommend it if you like museams (of the modern-history ilk) at all and don't mind spending the nine bucks.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It's been a while for me, but I recall the bathrooms at the Coke museum are super clean (which is good, because you'll need to pay a visit after drinking all that soda). And in the soda-drinking room, there is loud music playing. Why? So no one can hear you burp.

Really.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
TS- Slow down on posting. Keep posting at your present rate, and you'll have more posts than me. And that would be disgraceful. I'd never live with myself.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
How about CNN Studio Tour?

http://www.cnn.com/StudioTour/

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Steve, you think I'll soon have more posts than you? Probably before the end of the day.

What can I say? I'm an addict. And, mores the pity, I just got my son started here. But it shouldn't slow my post rate. As the Mom, I can always find some petty excuse to ground him from computer privileges. Or I can concoct some chore for him to do, so I can get a crack at the old PC.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I would check out the Center for Puppetry Arts. I've never been but hear it's fun.

My sister's roomate did set design for a cool play there about Leonardo Da Vinci as a crimefighter, using his inventions like Batman. I missed it though. [Frown]
I'm not sure what's playing there now, but it's fun even if you don't see a play.

I've got to go to the Atlanta Historical Society one of these days, but I hate to go to museums alone and can't talk anyone into going.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't suggest Underground Atlanta, I was there (and many of the other places mentioned) last spring but was not comfortable at UA without a boy within a few feet of me, and most of the shops weren't that interesting. But there was this sort of neat magic shop, so i guess if you're doing the coke muesum and want to hit one more place, which close, it would work.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
3.5 hours? Traffic should take care of THAT.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all of the places suggested a good ideas. Another thing to consider is that you can park your car in a lot (perferably a watched one, but I have often left mine in some of the 4-7 dollar ones near Underground) and then take MARTA almost anywhere.

I brought a friend into town once and we blew a whole afternoon by starting at the World of Coke (and Underground) and going to the Capital then riding MARTA to the CNN building.

There are beggers in town and people will come up to you, but just keep walking or ask them to go away and they will. It's just like any other big city.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there any kind of Gone with the Wind Museum or something in Atlanta? You'd think there would be. My ears perk up when I hear 'Peachtree street' and 'Five Points.'

If there is such a thing, I say you go there Jim-me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.