FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Universal Plans A Second 9/11 Movie (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Universal Plans A Second 9/11 Movie
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
DarkKnight,

It's going to be almost entirely about what we guess happened on Flight 93, not about what happened.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>I'd wind up a neurotic mess, posting only occasionally to a pun challenge or Last Post thread and putting people's names in parentheses.

[Smile]

:keeps quiet:

Kidding, kidding! I say nothing.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
About Passion and Fahrenheit:

Passion, gross: $370,614,210 (USA) (27 March 2005) -- latest date available, on imdb.com. Anybody who wants to do currency conversion and add in foreign sales is welcome to!

Fahrenheit, gross: $119,194,771 (USA) (28 October 2004)

--

About this film: I hope they won't have real non-public figures as characters in the film, because it will violate their privacy. (I wouldn't put real such people in a film or book either, for the same reason.) But if they don't . . . why is this offensive?

I keep reading here that it's really offensive because it's an attempt to make money. ARen't all films attempts to make money?

Because it might be used to promote the viewpoint that the war in Iraq is justified. Why is this a bad thing? Is it wrong to air viewpoints you (whoever "you" may be) disagree with? There are plenty of pro-terrorism or anti-American films planned; there's a list of them at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GuestColumns/Apuzzo20050810.shtml .

I also read here that it might promote patriotism (again, why is this bad?), and that it cannot possibly be accurate (why not? Unless this means, the dialog will be made up -- why would this be bad?).

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand everyone's worry about the film being used by greedy execs to cash in on a tragedy. But it's sort of presumptuous to assume that the people in charge of this film are just looking for easy money. They very well may do a good job on the film, and let's face it, it was a very heroic sacrifice. If it promotes the war, then so be it, but there's nothing to say it's not a heartfelt want of the people in charge to commemorate that event rather than make fast cash on it...
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

let's face it, it was a very heroic sacrifice

Why do you think so? I've never understood the whole "heroic" label that's applied to the victims of this tragedy, since it doesn't seem like they a) succeeded in regaining control of the plan or b) deliberately crashed the plane to avoid killing others. If someone tried to kill me during a robbery, and I successfully shot him before he could leave my house with my television -- but after he'd already fatally injured me -- would I be a "hero?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is when it became about Bush. Troubadour said

quote:

It's a disgusting shallow money-making scam, that will no doubt have a wonderful, uplifting patriotic twist thrown on the end so everyone can feel good about invading Iraq.

erm, disparaging the war doesn't equate to hatred of Bush. Nor does it make his opinions invalid.

-o-

Pretty smooth bit of misrepresenting people's posts, saying they object to anything that makes people feel patriotic. That was not what was said. The major objection was that this was cross commercializing on a tragedy.

-o-

And while we're on the topic of "Do you even read other people's posts before you spew," who the heck said anything about censorship?! Nobody is talking about preventing this; we're talking about whether or not the people involved should be doing it.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Something that happened on that flight kept the plane from hitting its intended target. I'm going to assume it was something the passengers did. And if you don't think doing something that could possibly kill you to save others from harm isn't heroic, then I don't know what is...
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm less concerned about the almight dollar, and more concerned about the psychological effect it will have on the nation, and most especially on the families of 9/11 victims.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Something that happened on that flight kept the plane from hitting its intended target. I'm going to assume it was something the passengers did. And if you don't think doing something that could possibly kill you to save others from harm isn't heroic, then I don't know what is...

What information do you have that explains a) why the plane crashed and b) demonstrates that the passengers did it to protect others from harm?

Because as far as I know, no one has information of that sort. We can at best speculate about what happened on that plane -- and while we can come up with all sorts of "heroic" scenarios, there's hardly proof of any of them.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.