FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books from your childhood that are out of print

Author Topic: Books from your childhood that are out of print
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Or any out of print book, I suppose.

Anyway, I mentioned this book elsewhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7993227530&category=279#ebayphotohosting

It was part of a series which included "Giants Come in Different Sizes," Pickle Chiffon Pie," and one other one I did not have, with a camel.

I still have "Pickle Chiffon Pie," and I still love it. My kids never caught on, but I have kept the book, along with many others from my childhood.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find a picture, but Stories for Free Children was a favorite growing up. Free to Be You and Me has apparently been re-issued, so shouldn't be too hard to find, even though I'm not sure how recent the re-issue was!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
They're about to reprint The Green Futures of Tycho by William Sleator, and I'm very excited. It was my favorite book in 5th grade, and I haven't read it in years.

I remember another book from when I was a few years younger called My Father the Dragon or something to that effect. I can barely remember anything about it except that I liked it, and haven't seen it around since I was in elementary school. I haven't looked for it for a while, but now I'm going to go see if it's still in print. Thanks for the motivation. [Smile]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Grrrrrrr!!!
I pushe Do again instead of Add reply.

Anyway, Speed, you reminded me of another favorite: "Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet," which had a character named Tyco Bass.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
"There's No Such Thing as a Dragon"

"The Twinkie Squad," "Son of Interflux," "Who is Bugs Potter?" by Gordon Korman.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dancing Shoes" by Noel Streatfeild

Some of the other "Shoes" books are still in print, though.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"KNight's Fee, by ??(Rosemary Sutcliffe)

http://bookangles.com/angles/a-l/Knight'sFee.htm

One of the best books I remember reading, ever.

But wait! It might not be out of print after all!

**Deflated**

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hildy and the Cuckoo Clock was one of my favorites. I can't remember much about it now, but it was something about a haunted/magical house and a brother and sister having all sorts of weird, funny adventures... hey, I should try getting it through InterLibrary Loan and see if I still like it...

Amazon link

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, this is a fun thread! I've been researching and compiling my list for several years.

Adam Gray: Stowaway, by Herbert E. Arnston
Andy of Pirate Gorge, by H.R. Langdale
Golden Island, by Katherine Allfrey, translated by Edelgard von Heydekampf Bruehl
The Shades, by Betty Brock
Little Hawk and the Free Horses, by Glenn Balch
Captain Ghost, by Thelma Bell
Mrs. Coverlet's Magicians, by Mary Nash

I had all of those as a child, but only the first three now. Last I checked, all but Captain Ghost were pretty easy to find and reasonably priced. At the time, I could only find one copy of Captain Ghost and it was over $100! Yikes!

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Oh, I just remembered another one. Howard Pyle wrote a series of books about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I checked them all out from the library and absolutely devoured them when I was a kid. Last I heard, all but the first were out of print. I'd love to read those again.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The Warm Fuzzy Book

ummm... nothing further will be said about the current location of this book on the grounds that it may incriminate me- I mean ElJay!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ghost of Opalina. Best kids' book ever. If I ever won a couple hundred dollars, I'd buy it. It was a very small printing, and most of the copies went straight to libraries, alas!

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have a Golden Book copy of "Little Black Sambo," and another (hard cover) called "Petunia," both of which are not only out of print, but banned. "Petunia" is worth quite a bit of money now.

My grandmother read me "Little Black Sambo" as a child, and the image that stuck with me was the melted butter around the tree, and the pancakes.

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to remember a very young adult fiction book written before...1980? It was about a kid who lived on the moon with his family--he was an alien--and I think his name was Horatio? I just remember him on the cover, and he had an enormous head, and he was very pale and chunky.

They lived in cities formed in the craters.

Does anyone remember this book?

Rats.

I did, however, find the Moominfamily books. I luuuurrrved those books. One time I was reading in the bathtub (c'mon, you all do it) and I *droppped* it *in*! It dried all fanned out, but I still carried it around everywhere until my mom took pity on me (or was so embarassed) and she bought me a new copy. *grin* I haven't dropped a book in the tub since!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Loganberry Books? It costs a couple of dollars to ask your own question, but you can browse the answers to other people's questions for free. It's a great resource for finding out of print children's books. Unfortunately, the search feature for the site is unimpressive, but there's a lot of good information there.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
John D. Fitzgerald's wonderful western novels Papa Married a Mormon, Uncle Will and the Fitzgerald Curse, and Mamma's Boarding House.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Don't forget the Great Brain books.

I'd just about forgotten him. I loved all those books when I was a kid.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Yeah, I think his books gave me a really good impression of Mormons. [Wink]

Luckily the Great Brain books are still in print and as popular as ever!

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved reading Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories so much when I was a kid. My mom had the set of 5 orange cover books. It took me several years and lots of money on ebay but I finally got my own complete set. Then my mom gave each kid one of them [Roll Eyes] so I have a complete set plus one. My own kids are starting to enjoy the stories.

I just loved the one about the little girl that was always ruining her dresses. Her daddy bought her a very special party dress and she was told not to play with it so it would stay nice. Well the next occasion rolled around only to find that she had put it on and while twirling around the room had gotten the sleeve caught on the door which tore the sleeve. She had to miss the party because she lied and disobeyed. I don't know why I loved that story so much but it was my favorite. Hmmm.... maybe I'll have to pull a volume down tonight and revisit some of my favorites.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The Old Mother West Wind stories by Burgess were my childhood favorite.

My copies were blue and hardback and I can't find them anywhere! I read them every night when I was little...

[Cry]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
The Man Who Was Magic by Paul Gallico

And the original, unsanitized versions of the Dr. Dolittle books. (My parents had a nice chat with me about outdated language and attitudes the first time it came up.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I just went to Barnes & Noble and picked up The Great Brain and Howard Pyle's Robin Hood book. Hatrack costs me money again.

Thanks a lot. [Razz]

plaid
Member # 2393

I loved Pyle's Arthur books when I was a kid! Probably read them 10 times... wonder if I'd still like them, I remember noticing even as a kid how repetitive the jousting descriptions could be... and knowing what I know now about the Middle Ages, I might have a hard time swallowing all the stuff about virtuous knights randomly wandering around fighting villains and doing good deeds...

A book my 4th grade teacher read to us = Little Witch -- the little witch girl tries to do good even though her evil mom likes to do stuff like turn children into flowerpots... Amazon link

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
CrowsWife! You are my savior! Do you have any idea how long I have been looking for that site?! Thank you!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I found those books at Amazon.com. The cover is different, but here's the link
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved The Little Witch and I still have a copy of it (very old, I think the price printed on it says 10 cents).
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Little Black Sambo is a banned book? By who?
Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sprockets the Little Robot and Rivets and Sprockets by Alexander Key

I went on a mad search about two years ago to find them. I found people trying to sell used library copies for anywhere from $500 - $1,000. Of course I found both for under $20 on ebay.

I can't wait for my oldest to be able to sit through me reading them to him at night.

Chris

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

KEGE: by most of the Western hemisphere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Black_Sambo

plaid
Member # 2393

I loved the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators mystery series when I was a kid. Good stories and characters. Hardy Boys mysteries got boring and repetitive fast; the Three Investigators series was really good, up until ~#23 or so, when it suddenly went downhill.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a book from my kids childhood called The Calico Bear.

I've tried to find another copy because mine has a torn page, and it's out of print.

This is the sweetest book in the world, it made me cry many times and I loved reading it to my daughter and she loved it too.

Basically, it's about a bear that is a beloved stuffed toy of a little boy. But the boy grows up and his friends make fun of him for having such a raggedy old bear so he asks his mom if she can take him away, but not to get rid of him. So his mom cuts calico bear up into squares and makes a quilt the boy sleeps under every night.

Years later, the quilt has been packed away in an attic, and the boy's mother takes it out and gives it to a young woman. The woman cuts up the quilt and sews the patches together with new pink material and gives it to a little girl who looks an awful lot like calico bear's boy.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, if you're willing to drop some cash on it, Alibris has two copies available.

Amazon has 3.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

This is a fun thread! [Smile]

Anyone read Alvin Fernald books? (The Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald; Alvin Fernald, Mayor for a Day; Alvin Fernald, Superweasel.) They were some of my childhood faves. Some of them became Disney movies -- The Whiz Kid and the Carnival Caper, etc.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Christian science fiction series by the name of Zaanan or something of that manner. There was 4 books in the series I believe, the first three published in the very late 80's and early 90's. I think the last one was published in 1994. Since then, they've all gone out of print and the publisher only seems to do Christian biographies and stuff now. I got book 2 in the series (I think it was book 2 at least) as a prize in a sort of Bible quiz type game at a church I went to. I read it and enjoyed it, which is sort of surprising for me (since I find a lot of Christian fiction to be kind of preachy). It (at least as far as I can recall) was an interesting series. That's about the only series or book I can recall from my younger days that is out of print. The rest all seem to still be in print, although the covers are much different now.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Dancing Shoes" by Noel Streatfeild

Some of the other "Shoes" books are still in print, though.

Shut up, Kathleen Kelly. [Razz]

There's a new edition of Little Black Sambo with these fabulous illustrations that somehow, inexplicably, make the original text no longer racist. I mean, it's a little weird that Sambo is black and his parents are Indian, but that's what the story says, so they go with it. [Smile] It's also got a pretty cool explanation about the controversy surrounding the book as an epilogue.

My personal favorite childhood book that is out of print is Mercer Mayer's Little Monster's Bedtime Book. "At night, Pop reads to me. Tonight, he's reading monster rhymes...." I bought a used copy for my mom for far, far too much money. But it's worth it. (especially the Typhoonigator)

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Elizabeth and Sister Annie!

I always thought Sambo was a hero. Somebody you'd want to be as smart as if you were, let's say, facing a tiger!

Kind of like Arthur Stuart.

I hate it that so many things offend so many people.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

KEGE,
It really was more the illustrati0ns, and the name Sambo, that was the issue. It really is such a beautiful story. And those pancakes! When my grandmother read it to me, my mouth would water.

Another one she read, which I still have. (It was actually my mother's) was a book called "A Fish Story."

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked Louise Cooper's fantasies, especially the Indigo series. A lot of her work's been out of print for a while, but they're finally reprinting the Time Master trilogy to start out with.

And I also love Maria Gripe's Agnes Cecilia, translated by Rika Lesser. (Or is it the other way around?) It's a beautiful Swedish YA novel that I really wish was more widely known.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Another one - has anyone else ever read any of the Honey Bunch series by Helen Louise Thorndyke? It's this series from the 1920s, basically about a cute little girl and her family adventures. Every once in a while I find one in an antique store or some such, and the ones I've read are just adorable. Someday when I have extra space and money, I want to track down the whole series. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dancing Shoes, Tante? Is that an alternate name for Ballet Shoes or another book in the series?

I *loved* Ballet Shoes. I still have it. And re-read it. [Smile]

I haven't read any others in the series though - actually, I lie. I have read "The Circus is Coming", which, on google-age was later re-released as "Circus Shoes".

I also have that book still. With the original title. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved The Mad Scientists' Club books. They are reprinting them, even the two full length books that never really got published before. I'm excited.

I read a Honey Bunch book once, I think. I had a Honey Bunch doll, too, but I don't think it was related.

I also collect the Maida series. Maida's Little Shop, Maida's Little School, etc.

There a a bunch of childrens' books about magic that I just loved but I can't think of any names offhand.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Dancing Shoes is not an alternate title. And I can't believe it's out of print! That's terrible. I loved the Shoe books. And my daughter is the right age for them . . . and has a major birthday in a few months . . .

Hmm, may be out of print, but Amazon has it new.

Tennis Shoes (which I may have actually not read) seems to be really and truly out of print. So are Family Shoes, Movie Shoes, Traveling Shoes, Skating Shoes (my favorite!), Circus Shoes, and New Shoes. But I'm ordering all the others. [Big Grin]

The Family from One End Street was out of print already when I was a kid. I read my mom's copy of it (and its sequel). But they've fallen apart . . . so I'm getting that too. [Big Grin] (Sadly, the sequel is too rich for my blood.) *blink* There are two sequels? ooooh . . . but both are quite expensive. Unless the one cheap place I found still has them . . . *pops off email*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Rivka's name reminds me, there was a cute book or series of books about a Jewish family with a bunch of kids. Showed life from the kids' point of view and mentioned holidays and fasting days and such. That was a lot of fun to read. Probably educational too. Anyone know that series? I think the kids were all two years apart, all girls, except the baby.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

THEY CAME THEY CAME THEY CAME! *dances*

Theatre Shoes and The Family from One End Street both came today. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And I missed Theaca's post above before.

You're talking, I think, about the All of a Kind Family series by Sydney Taylor. I own all five. [Smile]

But I don't think they're out of print. Certainly the first book is not.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Rivka, I looked it up and it appears (Dancing Shoes, that is) to in fact be an alternate title for Ballet Shoes.

*twiddles mustache ends self-importantly*

[Smile]

I have The Family from One End Street on my bookcase. Good stuff. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh. I loved All of a Kind Family.

Did anyone mention The Great Brain? Are those still around? I'll go check.

Yup! here's one!

edit : nevermind, I have to learn to read ALL of a thread. The Great Brain was mentioned!

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
Actually, Rivka, I looked it up and it appears (Dancing Shoes, that is) to in fact be an alternate title for Ballet Shoes.

How can that be? They have different plots, and were originally published 20 years apart?!

Dancing Shoes:
quote:
Aunt Cora is determined to turn two orphans, perky Hilary and sullen Rachel, into members of her dance troupe. But Rachel wants to keep Hilary from being one of Wintle’s Little Wonders—is it selfishness or something else? Misunderstandings and a spoiled cousin come together for a tale full of high drama. Originally published in 1957.

Ballet Shoes:
quote:
In the tradition of Frances Hodgson Burnett’s The Little Princess come Noel Streatfeild’s tales of triumph. In this story, three orphan girls vow to make a name for themselves and find their own special talents. With hard work, fame just may be in the stars! Originally published in 1937.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Kathleen Kelly would know the answer. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.