FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who wants to meet OSC *TONIGHT*? Now with photos! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who wants to meet OSC *TONIGHT*? Now with photos!
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you'd have to be willing to make it to Bountiful, Utah.

This is a ticketed event, and Porter and I have 4 extra tickets.

The event opens at 6:30, so we'd like to meet the ticket-takers before that at the door so we can get good seats. [Smile]

[ August 18, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I do! But I'm in NY. [Frown]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Hmmm, I guess you'd have to get on a plane right quick. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would totally do it if I had an extra $500 to spend (a ticket from here to Salt Lake, today, is only $326 including taxes; add in a rental, etc., and it's less than $500. Wow. [Wink] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I'm sure OSC will come through Dallas eventually! Big city, tours, it will happen.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in New Jersey, so, I'm afraid that Mr. Card will have to do without the pleasure of my company for a little while longer. [Frown]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Try the other side. I know lots of people have mentioned wanting to go over there.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo! Good idea. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure OSC will come through Dallas eventually! Big city, tours, it will happen.
He may.

But I'm now in L.A., so I won't care. [Razz]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you still have two extra tickets?

Because my adorable and sweet and slightly-flaky baby brother did not get to the library to get tickets, and he would love to get in. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

They are yours!

I guess that means we win. [Wink]

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
But I'm now in L.A., so I won't care. [Razz]
Oopsie. But he'll come there too!
katharina
Member # 827

Yay!! I'll call him right now.

This is going to be a short game - because he'll have to find you in order to get the tickets. *sigh*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd better get there early and spot him first. *shifty eyes*
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

You have tickets Snarky-o? Are you someone I should know?
katharina
Member # 827

No kidding. I wanted to play. [Frown]

On the other hand, my dad had him give back the cell phone while Steve went on an errand, so I can't tell Steven he has a(nother) chance for a seat. If someone else needs them before I can communicate with him, then give them up. In that case, he'll have to do stand-by or else miss the session. That won't hurt him.

beverly
Member # 6246

OK. But considering how little response there has been, I think we might still be able to accomodate (assuming you can eventually contact him.)
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Snarky = Jon Boy.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I thought that might be the case. [Smile]
Snarky
Member # 4406

I guess I don't pull out the alternate usernames as often as I used to.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to and Bountiful is right up the street a bit, but I'll have to take a pass this time. Have fun!
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

And I'm not always the best at picking up on alts.

Stroman, sorry you won't be able to make it. [Frown]

katharina
Member # 827

I talked to Steven. I now feel slightly bad about calling him flaky - he tried to get tickets, but they were out before he tried. *feels guilty*

I don't know landmarks, and he still doesn't know what y'all look like, but he is going with a friend. I have the girl-he-will-be-with's cell phone number. Do you think y'all could call that number between 6:00 and 6:30 in order to coordinate the ticket handover?

beverly
Member # 6246

Sure. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

I'll send a PM at GC with it. [Smile]

If it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world, although now that I know it is my fault for not warning him in time that he needed to get tickets, I really want it to. [Smile]

And thank you. This is very sweet.

beverly
Member # 6246

I responded. You may not get a chance to tell them about my concern, and I will talk to them about it myself as well. [Smile]
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the one in Charlotte said it was a ticketed event, but that only meant that those were the first to get the signature. I don’t think they’ll stop you from going.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I weren't working all day I'd probably already be there...
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

We had such a blast. OSC was funny, charming, and intelligent. Best of all, we got to meet the lovely Kristine! (Yes, aren't you all jealous?) That was an unexpected treat.

And now you get to see photos. I really only have two to share:

Porter & I with Uncle Orson, Porter sporting his "Magic Street Shirt" (this was not intended. I think it was Trisha's sister who first made the comment on the similarity to the book cover.)

And the lovely Head Squish! photo that I am so pleased to have!

We've got, starting on the left, Trisha (mothertree), Jon Boy, Ruth (Brinestone), Porter (mr_porteiro_head), and me.

Snarky
Member # 4406

After all these years, I finally got my head squish picture. *sniff* Though I find it funny that my real-life name is apparently Jon Boy. [Razz]

And I said it before, but I'll say it again: I got all giddy when Scott mentioned Old English in one of his many tangents. I think it's awesome to meet an author who really knows the language.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta love the head squish! [Smile]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Close enough. [Wink]

(I actually thought of that before posting, and just decided to leave it.)

Note I didn't give my real name at all. ^_^

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool. What great photos! (bev, you look so happy, and so does Porter.)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Smile]

We couldn't be happier--our first time basking in Orson's glow....

*ear-to-ear-grin*

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone buy me a plane ticket?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome photo. :)
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After all these years, I finally got my head squish picture. *sniff* Though I find it funny that my real-life name is apparently Jon Boy. [Razz]
So that's who snarky is! I've been trying to figure it out.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

It's sad to think that there's an entire generation of Hatrackers growing up without a knowledge of my alternate names.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
We pause for a moment of silence.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

And who have no idea who Pat is, much less why Snarky was his mini-me.
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it!!

My friend from England was in town last night. Otherwise I would have gone.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
And who have no idea who Pat is, much less why Snarky was his mini-me.

Indeed. [Frown]

Actually, I (Jonathon) was the mini-Pat, but I think it was my creation of Snarky that prompted his declaration of my mini-Pat-ness.

Here's to you, big guy. *pauses to reflect*

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So...you all got punwit to squish your heads. Cool!!!

[Big Grin]

(great shots by the way. VERY jealous)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
They neglected to post the shot that Porter accidentally took of my pants. I suppose that's okay, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Now THAT'S the picture we need to put in Wikipedia. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh.... Head Squish.

I don't know if anyone said anything, but celia printed out that picture of me, and got OSC to sign it, framed it, and gave it to me for a christmas gift. One of the coolest things EVER.

Oh... and why the heck is it that as soon as I move OUT of bountiful, he visits in my home town!? I hope you guys went to Neilsons Frozen Custard, or Spankies.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I would personally donate my picture to wikipedia if I only knew how to. I tried. I can't figure that out.

"Click here for public domain."

Then I get a detailed article about public domain.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That is SO COOL!!
Rock on Mary and Porter! So jealous! Wish I could have been there! Cheers! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary? Just curious, why'd you pick beverly as your screen name?

And Congrats!!!

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.