FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Got a New Executive Chair + Question

Author Topic: I Got a New Executive Chair + Question
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yippy!

My father had - for the past three years or so - a large executive chair (I was using a soft, padded chair with wheels, similar to a simple office chair like this, but my father was using something like this. Shortly after, my mother and I got executive chairs (with shorter backs) shortly after. With the time we all spend on our computers, it makes sense.

Anyway, time has passed and my father had the base of his chair broken. So he got a new chair, and simply replaced the base, leaving me with the top - which I connected to mine's base (same company, so it fit in relatively easily). I now have a nicer chair with a taller back that I can sit on and have some room for my head. But one thing still remains.

The chair is stiff, like a pile of starched shirts. It'll take a long time for the leather to soften up, and I want to sit with more comfort soon. But how?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy. First, you need to put the chair very far from the computer. Next, get a milk crate, and sit on that for a few days. Then bring the chair closer to the computer. It will feel much more comfortable.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFL!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are so helpful. [Mad]
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Tante
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks, quiddy: quid scribbit <that> quod?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's "Et tu, Brute?"
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Johny boy. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why I first read this thread title as "New Execution Chair"
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, that's cool. So, Johnny, just sit tight while we connect this colander to your head . . .
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
If the chair is relatively old, then the chair leather has either dried out/stiffened, a common occurance for thin leathers. The other posibility is that it isn't that the leather is stiff, but the cushions have flattened over time.

If it is just the leather I've found a few tips online:
By Artamas
quote:
Reconditioning leather that has become hard: I've found that rubbing a good moisturizer into dried out leather helps recondition it. Lubriderm cream works very well. For example, if I needed to soak a whip or flogger in a disinfectant, I would wait for it to completely dry out (a couple of days at least), and then apply the moisturizer. It might need a couple of treatments, and make sure the moisturizer has had a chance to dry in-between each treatment wiping off the excess in each application. Once the leather is soft and pliable again, then I would apply a waxy coating. I like leather balm with atom wax myself, but there are other good products. Having a waxy coating on the leather will make it water resistant but not waterproof.

If it is the cushions, check to see if you have a zipper or slipcover upholstery on the chair. If you do you may be able to refoam the chair yourself. Worst case, you can get a quote from a local reupholstery business.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to recommend a leather conditioner. You can get these at auto parts stores for less than you can through a furniture place. Just get a good quality one.

It'll soften the leather and keep it from cracking too.

I didn't think about the padding. Not sure what to recommend there. If you can get at the cushions to add more foam, that'd be good.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If I read the first post correctly, the leather is new, not old.

If it were a baseball glove, you'd put on a good coat of saddle soap, put a baseball in the pocket, fold it over, and tie it off with a cub scout belt.

That's the last time I worked with leather, though, so I have no other suggestions.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
That's the last time I worked with leather, though, so I have no other suggestions.
Wow. You're really missing out. [Big Grin]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I... I think I'll just sit on it until I feel better. Thanks for all of the offers, though *RollingEyez*...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you hadn't wasted your youth following cricket, my post would have made a lot more sense. [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it does sound like Jonny's seat is the new part, and I agree that it just needs conditioning. Frequent use will help to break it in but a leather conditioner or saddle soap will help the process go faster, as well as help protect the leather from some of the wear and tear damage.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

See, Dag, in Cricket the wicket-keeper has gloves, but they are actually shaped like a person's hands, so you've got to grasp them in your actual hand, not some ball-shaped pit that your hand holds from the back. And the gloves are made out of cloth, you know "political correctness" and vegan people...

Also, I prefer spin bowling to some guy lifting his leg up in a very obscen manner.

But, hey - that's just me! [Razz]

Goody and Bob - I'll note getting myself some leather-conditioner. Thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.