FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Today I'm wearing pants....

Author Topic: Today I'm wearing pants....
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
two sizes smaller than ones I purchased three months ago!

Yesterday I wore a pair of jeans to school, and I knew I'd had them three months. I bought them when my mom and I went shopping around my birthday with some money she gave me. They were a comfortable fit, more on the snug side because I remember my mom insisting I would look better in jeans that weren't baggy.

But, when everyone got home yesterday, we were fixing dinner and my mom commented that I needed to get some new jeans. I said, "What do you mean, these jeans are in great shape." She said, "They don't fit."

And I realized she was right. I tested later, and I was within a hair's breadth of being able to slide them off my hips without unzipping them.

So today, I put on a pair of denim capris I havent' worn in I don't know how long, and they fit! I'm not even shoved in there, I mean I can breathe and sit down and everything!

So, your next question is probably "How much weight have you lost?" And I'm happy to say I have no idea. [Smile] See one of the reasons I believe I've lost it is that I quit focusing on it. I threw away my scale and said to myself I was going to live a healthier life and I didn't care about the weight, I just wanted my body to feel better and have more energy.

My advice to people wanting to lose weight is to do the same thing. Start focusing on how you want to feel, and quit worrying about the numbers. Then you avoid the emotional ups and downs associated with scale-watching. If you're like me, you've been through those times when you were sure you had lost weight, but when you weigh yourself you see you haven't so you're so depressed and upset about it you go eat a bowl of ice cream. [Razz] And weight can actually increase when you get in shape so the numbers on the scale really aren't a great indicator of how in shape you are.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Belle!

What a wonderful feeling that must be! I'm very happy for you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Belle! I agree that focusing on the numbers is a trap.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, no pictures?! [Razz]

And good for you! [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Our bathroom scale fell to peices and we haven't replaced it. I have to agree with Belle, worrying the numbers will only make you crazy.

Congrats, girl!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You go, Belle! What an awesome lift, and what a healthy boost.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you. I'm down one pants-size from where I was in January, and they are feeling pretty loose. That size difference is way more motivating for me to keep it up than the number of pounds I've lost since January. [Big Grin]

Way to go! My weight has been one of the biggest challenges for me, so I can empathize with anyone trying to watch their diet or lose a few pounds. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Scales --

I'm actually thinking about buying a scale so I can keep a more consistent eye on my weight. In the early part of this year I lost somewhere between five and ten pounds, which was very unsettling. Typically my nominal weight is 150-155 pounds; given that I'm 6'3" this means I don't exactly have a lot of spare weight to lose. If anything I could stand to gain five or ten pounds, preferably of muscle mass, but my experience has been that even when I'm fit and strong I don't gain a significant amount of weight.

So I basically want a scale to make sure I don't lose weight, which is kind of a weird reason for wanting a scale I suppose. Added: But I know that losing weight is definitely unhealthy for me, so I think it's worth monitoring.

Added 2: Also, just to forestall any potential concerns, I don't have any eating disorders or anything, I'm just skinny. I eat more than just about everyone I know.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Belle!

twinky, my roommate in college was 6'4" and never weighed more than 160 lbs, yet he ate more than anyone else just like you. We would go to Sonny's for all-you-can-eat chicken and he would easily eat an entire chicken along with fries, beans, etc.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Muscle weighs more than fat...Im sure you have heard that before. The scale is not an accurate judgement of the physical condition you are in.

About one year ago I started the South Beach, (which I know is not a healthy diet...but it does work) and ever since I have been on a healthy kick. I am no longer on the low carb fad, but I do watch what I eat. I stay away from processed carbs and eat all whole grain, whole wheat.

I have to say the most important thing I do is exercise! It is a great feeling when you can run a 7 min 40 sec mile and not be winded. I am at the gym almost everday and I love it. I used to hate to run because I couldnt, now that I can I get what some call the "runners high" once I start going I cant stop!! Another cardio program I love is SPINNING, I am going to take a course to become an instructor. It is an indoor cycling workout, and it really kicks your butt while having fun at the same time.

I could go on forever about this stuff...I am addicted!

Anyways,

I am very happy for you Belle. [Party]

I know how great of a feeling it is put on a pair of pants that would have never fit before. I sometimes find myself buying pricey pants because they are a size 4 (I used to wear a 12-13!)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Belle!

If anyone else is looking to lose weight consider blood thinners. [Roll Eyes]

No, I'm not seriously suggesting this, but since I've gone back onto Coumadin, weight loss has been one of the side effects I've experienced. I've lost about 10-15 pounds in the past month. I think it's mainly due to the fact that I'm simply not hungry - and when I occasionally am, I fill up on a hot pocket. It's the dieter's miracle drug!

I'm with twinky - I need to start trying out the scale when I go to the gym, 'cause I don't want to lose weight to the point of unhealthiness. Not that I minded losing a few pounds - I'm like any other girl [Wink] - but I don't want to lose much more.

I need to go pants shopping - or get a belt. [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I'm wearing pants 2 inches bigger than I did my whole life up until a year ago (from a 30 to a 32) and I have an extremely quick metabolism.

What you did was awsome.

I need to be more healthy as well.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night going through some old boxes I found a photo of myself pre-kids.

I was tiny -- tiny! around the waist.

I'm going to put it on my refrigerator and wish for those hips back...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great Belle! I put on a pair of jeans the other day and they were a little snugger than last winter so I'd better get my butt in gear. I've been lazy about eating lately and have not been healthy.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have to say the most important thing I do is exercise! It is a great feeling when you can run a 7 min 40 sec mile and not be winded. I am at the gym almost everday and I love it. I used to hate to run because I couldnt, now that I can I get what some call the "runners high" once I start going I cant stop!!
I love that feeling! I have a love/hate relationship with my treadmill. I love it after I've used it and hate it glaring at me when I neglect it.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is wonderful,Belle!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Belle! Keep it up!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to put it on my refrigerator and wish for those hips back...
I've already decided that I won't get them back. And that's okay. I've got stretch marks and wider hips but if that's the price I paid for motherhood I'd pay it again gladly.

Congrats on everybody else who is losing. Twinky, in your case a scale might be a good idea. A lot of folks don't understand how frustrating it can be for the chronically underweight to keep weight on. I wonder if my Daniel is going to be like that. He's underweight, but otherwise in perfect health according to the doctor. When he was born I remember thinking to myself "He's such a skinny baby." He's always been very lean, don't know if it's metabolism or what. He eats the same things the girls eat and at the same times and everything yet they're all average weight percentile wise and he's way lower. [Dont Know]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the lost weight Belle [Smile]

I do the same thing and avoid using a scale to determine my shape. Nowadays I measure my fitness level through my workout routine. I go on a 5 mile jog every other day (used to be daily until my legs started to hurt) and that usually means 2-3 laps around the park where I live. Depending on how tired I feel after said laps, or if I can't finish them, I set my goals for the next week.

Also since I lift weights and do a lot of push-ups and sit-ups on a daily basis, looking in the mirror and seeing improvements is certainly a morale booster [Big Grin]

Oh... and some advise for those who plan to start working out soon. The first few weeks are the worst. Just plow through them and make sure you do the work you set yourself on regularly, do not miss a single workout. Once you get past those first weeks it gets much easier.

Good luck to you all!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
You know twinky, that was one of the signs that Xavier was suffering from hyperthyroidism, an inability to gain weight. He easily ate more than anyone I knew.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.