FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » video games

Author Topic: video games
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
anyone else on here like playing video games? ANd can anyone reccomend anything good I could play in my spare time? I've played all the final fantasy already, and I'm looking for something else good. Rpg's?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a bunch of people around here will tell you Civ 3.

And OSC himself might tell you that he recommends a game called Advent Rising- which was pretty cool- but that's only because OSC wrote about half the dialogue.

I enjoy playing games, but alas, I don't really have any. Although I'm going to update my computer soon hopefully and install more ram (I only have 256...) so I can play Battlefield 2.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be the biggest video game enthusiast till I just stopped playing them, for some reason.

For me personally the height of videogames was 1995-99. My main systems at this time were a super nintendo and a playstation--I loved both, even if the former was better. It could merely nostalgia talking but man oh man were those systems fun!

Especially the Snes--I was playing Final Fantasy VI when everybody else my age was playing FF VII. Now I'm nostalgic for FF VI and everybody else for FF VII. =D

Then I kind of stopped carring when the playstation 2 and xbox came out, even though I bought both. =/

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
What platforms do you own, PC, Mac, consoles?

RPGs for PC:

Guild Wars - If you have an internet connection, this game will keep you hooked for a while. They advertise it as a MMORPG without the monthly fees.

World Of Warcraft - Personally I only played the beta because I don't exactly think it's worthwhile to pay a monthly fee for a game I already own. However, if you're willing to look past that it's a wonderfully addictive game.

Half-Life 2 - This is an FPS. Great fun, groundbreaking physics that actually affect gameplay, great multiplayer and a rather large modding community. You cannot go wrong here.

Max Payne 2 - Good 3rd person action shooter. Has a detective noir story told through graphic novels (sort of like comic book pages)and cinematics. It also has a decently-sized modding community and I am personally making several Total Conversions for it. You can pick it up in the bargain bin at your local store.

Jade Empire - Xbox RPG. Haven't personally played it but I've heard so many good things about it I think I can personally recommend it.

Fable - Xbox RPG. Seems like a good game, if you didn't follow it's development you'll like it. If you did, then you might be dissapointed because a lot of the promised features didn't make it into the game.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd probably help if you told us what system(s) you have.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I have a NICE computer, a PS2, a SNES, and a Gameboy Advance(the old kind, not those special *updated* ones [Grumble] )

Anyone else here play DDR, or am I just a big geek?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

I would really recommend Guild Wars to you then. I play it every once in a while myself, had it for months and I'm still not bored with it.

DDR is fun when you play with friends [Big Grin]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
anyone else on here like playing video games?
Nope, no one. Internet users never associate with video gamers. You should know better than that. [No No]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guilty in the playing DDR category. Really guily since I lack almost any rhythm and thus can't get past the very basic stuff. At least I keep myself entertained. If you had a GameCube, I'd recommend something like Animal Crossing. I guess Harvest Moon is similar (and available on the PS2), but it's more farming-oriented. Sims (and I guess Sims 2, since I haven't played it myself) is also quite fun.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like the Xbox RPGs the best. KOTOR, Morrowind, Fable. Although Animal Crossing had me hooked for a very, long, time.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, I was in the Animal Crossing beta test (or Pioneer program, as they called it). I got the game in August (I think it was released in September or October, maybe?) and I was addicted to it through the following summer. It wasn't until I had a large backlog of other games and I had done all I wanted in Animal Crossing that I finally gave it up.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Muahaha, i heart video games! If tinros, if you're looking for an RPG thats amazing(but is very time costly) play the Elder Scrolls of Morrowind 3(with the tribunal/bloodmoon expansion(that is if you have an xbox)). Trust me, if you want a really good RPG play that, but it is a little confusing, but if you need anyhelp, im here. A fun RPG for PS1 is Final Fantasy tactics, a chess type RPG. If you have a game boy sp try Final Fantasy tactics advanced. Another Xbox game thats amazing, Fable, its a short game, but if you make the most of it, it last a while.
Some FPS that are good, of course Halo(1 and 2) rainbow6 3/black arrow(both are good). Ghost Recon, and Counter Strike. but those games are really only good if you have xbox live, and again if you even have an xbox.
If you feel like downloading an Emulator(its legal, as long as you have the games that your downloadin, which of course i do.....) get a emulator for Sega Genises and get the following RPG's Shining Force 1 and 2, both amazing RPG's(a job bases rpg)
Anything else?

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to have an XBox to play Morrowind, you know; it came out for PCs first, and is considerably better on PCs. [Smile] In fact, with the exception of KOTOR and Jade Empire, all good CRPGs have come out for the PC first. *grin*

If you're an RPG fan and haven't played the following, rush out and buy:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Knights of the Old Republic
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me you've got Katamari Damacy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] shut up tom, haha.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I really love Super Mario RPG for the SNES. Good memories there.

If you had a Gamecube, I'd tell you to get Tales of Symphonia. Wow, that was amazing.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I go with KOTOR I and II myself. Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was fun too...though it could have used something that I can't quite put my finger on...
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved KOTOR! (xb, PC) Also Fable(xb, PC)-good but short-and Morrowind-very long-(Xb, PC) for good role playing games. Oddworld for fun(Xb, Ps1)Fatal Frame for fear(xbox, Ps2)Resident Evil 4 for a good action+shooting game(GC), Halo(xb,PC) or Timesplitters Future Perfect(Xb,GC,PS2, i think) for good shooters you can play with your friends and a great action game-Prince of Persia(Xb,PC,GC,PS2)
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

pfresh, did you know DDR Mariomix is coming out? [Smile]
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Fallout series... ugh!

Diablo & Diablo 2 are also some good action RPGs

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Anyone else here play DDR, or am I just a big geek?

I play DDR as well, but you are also just a big geek. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Glad to know I'm officialy a geek now.

Funny how almost every game that was reccomended was for XBox, and I don't have one. [Grumble]

I have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for good ol Gameboy Advance, along with a few Zelda Games...

On computer right now, I've been playing Neverwinter Nights(platinum edition), and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Wars. My dad doesn't really like me playing computer games, however, since he's using a LOT of my computer's power to turn old family videos into Dvds.

So I'm guessing you all reccommend going out and buying an XBox?

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
RPGs are strictly for geeks and noobs. Get thee to the Paradox site and buy some of their strategy games, starting with Crusader Kings.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

If you like FFTA, try Fire Emblem or Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (which is the same but with some nice refinements).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Xbox is a great system to have. The best of the three, IMO.
The Xbox 360 is coming out the week of November 14th. There will be a $400 one "premium" system, and a $300 one "core" system.
The premium system has a 20g hard drive, wireless controller, headset and dvd remote. The core system has squat. You could still buy the current Xbox though. They are only $150 new and there are plenty of games to keep you entertained.

For GBA I love Kingdom Hearts and Warioware. [Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

The PS2 also has a lot of strategy RPGs, like Disgaea. There's a whole slew of FF-style Japanese RPGs if that's your thing (it isn't mine). The Suikoden games, Ys... I'm even thinking about .hack. If you want to play the most complex strategy game ever released on a console, there's Romance of the Three Kingdoms X. If you like North American RPGs, though, those tend to come out for the XBox. However, they also come out for the PC, so if you've got a nice computer don't bother with the console versions.

Also, you have a GBA but not Advance Wars 2? This is an egregious error that must be rectified immediately! [Big Grin]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by Treason:
pfresh, did you know DDR Mariomix is coming out? [Smile]

Yeah, I know. The worse thing is I almost considered importing it. That shows how much of a nerd I am. [Smile]
Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
You don't need to have an XBox to play Morrowind, you know; it came out for PCs first, and is considerably better on PCs.
I've never played it for PC, but a lot of friends have told me how convenient it is to have the map editor. Because I lost this book for one of the thieves missions (and I'm usually so carefull with all my books! Selling them all to the same store!), and now I can't really advance in that anymore...

I think the Oblivion will be better for the Xbox 360 than the PC though. Even if It doesn't include a map editor (but I hope it does).

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
EVE! PLAY EVE-ONLINE BEST SCI-FI MMO OUT THERE! It absorbed the entire EnB comunity.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been between games for almost 5 months now.. nothing seems fun. I dunno what I'm gonna do. ='(

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
I think the Oblivion will be better for the Xbox 360 than the PC though.
In what way?
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I have (only) a Game Boy Advance SP; I wouldn't have dreamed of getting a regular Game Boy Advance since its screen doesn't light up like the SP's does.

Since you have a Game Boy Advance, do you have WarioWare and its sequel, WarioWare: Twisted? They aren't hard to beat, but they stay fun to pick up and play for 20 minutes at a time far longer than most other games do. Super Mario World and especially Yoshi's Island (if you don't already have them for the Super NES) have so many secrets it'll take you a long time to find all of them; I'm thinking that the same will be the case for Mario vs. Donkey Kong, too, though I've just started it.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I haven't even heard of most of these games. If I got an XBox(like for Christmas), I would get Fable and DDR Ultramix 1&2 with a PS2 controller adapter first thing. I just thought Fable looked cool.

As for Gameboy Advance, I'm working on Lufia and the Ruins of Lore. Rise of the Sinistrals(for SNES) got me hooked.

Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
quote:
I think the Oblivion will be better for the Xbox 360 than the PC though.
In what way?
I guess that was sorta an opinion, because I just like the feel of playing on a system better. Plus the fact that you won't need one of the top computers in the market to have it run well with nice graphics. Besides that though, it should be the same. Although I don't know how, since the new Xbox will have three 3.2ghz processors, and more than 512mb of RAM devoted solely to the game.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I, *sniff*, lost my entire Morrowind game when my hard drive crashed. And I was almost at the end!

It's still very painful to talk about.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Although I don't know how, since the new Xbox will have three 3.2ghz processors, and more than 512mb of RAM devoted solely to the game.
Three 3.2GHz in-order cores with not very much cache, yes. They are not comparable in general computing power to even the single-core desktop processors that are available today, let alone dual-core ones. Computers will still have the graphical edge simply because of the difference in resolution and antialiasing. Also, if you prefer to play using a gamepad, you can just buy one for your computer.

Given the same game on consoles and PCs, I would always choose the PC version if I had even a passable mid-range system. However, I use my consoles (GC, PS2, and GBA, no XBox) and my computer for different kinds of games. [Smile]

Tinros: If you want to play Fable, an extended PC version of it is due out soon. A lot of people complained that the XBox version was way too short. The new version is called "lost chapters" or something like that.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tom on the PC vs XBox debate, especially in regard to Morrowind. I rented it first on Xbox and then bought it on PC. I was on take-it-easy orders from my doc while I was pregnant and that is all I did. I beat the game about a month before my daughter was born. The two expansion packs are pretty good too but my life is now too hectic for me to have finished either of them (although I am pretty far in Bloodmoon. I can't wait for Oblivion. My hubby and I are arguing about who gets to buy it for the other for Christmas (thus making shopping this year easier).
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Twinky on the different kinds of games on consoles and PCs. Don't expect me to buy an FPS for a console until it comes with a mouse and keyboard, for example.

For game recommendations, they're a bit old but the two Super Monkey Balls are hugely awesome and frequently overlooked games for Gamecube.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Taken out of context for your viewing pleasure:
quote:
...they're a bit old but the two Super Monkey Balls are hugely awesome and frequently overlooked...
[ROFL]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
What, you thought it was just a coincidence that I didn't saw "Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2" ?

They are really great games though, honest.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

[ROFL]
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
And OSC, my recommendations go for you, too---doesn't your family have a Game Boy Advance?

The games I listed aren't really "building games," but they sort of are---in all of them you "build" the game world by unlocking more and more of it as you play, and you can freely go back to earlier parts of it to "build" better scores there, which is really more the point of the games than just getting to the end is.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.