FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is what intelligent design *isn't*

Author Topic: This is what intelligent design *isn't*
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Design Defects of the Ford Pinto Gas Tank

Great, low-priced car. If you didn't mind the "gas tank explodes when fairly low-speed collisions happen."

(Been fighting the urge to post this link for a couple days. I finally gave up - life's too short. [Wink] )

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Old news, though, isn't it?

And how does the Intelligent Design camp explain the Avocado? If there was an intelligence behind its design, the pit would be a lot smaller.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the intelligence were in the employ of the grocers . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Then the customers in the express checkout line would have enough intelligence to understand the concept of "< 12".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Tante, if one is using the time scale used in the other "intelligent design" thread, then the Pinto item is a very recent development. [Wink]

And if we're going to pick on the avocado, then how about cherries? An intelligently designed cherry would have pit that separates easily and cleanly from the fruit.

And shouldn't coconut shells come perforated?

::Wonders if the entity responsible for designing the banana was lynched for making other cosmic designers look bad.::

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:

::Wonders if the entity responsible for designing the banana was lynched for making other cosmic designers look bad.::

Well, they DO have a shelf life of, what, 15 minutes?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bananas are meant to be eaten right off the tree.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Bob, you chimp, you!
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop monkeying aroung and get back on topic! [No No]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
must ... make ... banana ... bread ...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

My banana crops were suffering from all sorts of weird genetic mutations, but I moved further from the nuclear power plant, and ever since then, my bananas bred better.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
For bananas, actually, you could make a good case that they are intelligently designed, we've bred them to the point that they can't even fertilise themselves.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

KoM, if I'm not mistaken, you can't fertilize yourself, either. That doesn't necessarily mean that you are designed intelligently.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Pwned!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
KoM, if I'm not mistaken, you can't fertilize yourself, either. That doesn't necessarily mean that you are designed intelligently.
Oh, I disagree. [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[ROFL]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Complete and Total Lack of Intelligent Design:

That place in New Jersey where the Garden State Parkway meets up with the New Jersey Turnpike. Throw Routes 287, 440, 1 and 9 into the mix. Make the highway signs either absent or astonishingly confusing. Post the speed limit at 65, and now watch the fun of exiting, merging, jughandling, cloverleafing, and missing your (poorly marked) exit, so that you have to ride for an extra half hour to get back to where you were and try it all again.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And how does the Intelligent Design camp explain the Avocado? If there was an intelligence behind its design, the pit would be a lot smaller.
Uh, I believe because it's main purpose was as a seed, and reproduction, instead of just as food for you, the avocado is designed perfectly.

[Wink]

sndrake -- what about the Ford Crown Victoria's? They are almost as bad.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
Uh, I believe because it's main purpose was as a seed, and reproduction, instead of just as food for you, the avocado is designed perfectly.

Well, watermelons are a wonderful fruit to eat outdoors. And when eating watermelon, the natural thing to do is to spit out the seeds. And since you are outdoors, you are likely to have some of those spat out seeds germinate.

Avocado seeds just aren't going to get seeded like that. They are tossed in the trash. I've heard of people sticking them in water and staring them to grow, but I've never heard of anyone getting any new avocados out of it. It is just a big, clumsy, overengineered pit, and a nuisance, to boot.

CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Great, low-priced car. If you didn't mind the "gas tank explodes when fairly low-speed collisions happen."
Source of the "big bang" theory? An intergalactic pinto!
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it the 8 track tape players that caused the combustion and only when playing Pink Floyd?

That would be intelligent design.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.