FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Forward Motion

Author Topic: Forward Motion
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's good to experience the bittersweet, taste defeat
Then brush my teeth...
'Cause I struggle with forward motion
We all struggle with forward motion

I am really beginning to dig Relient K a lot. So much more depth, musically and lyrically, than the typical Blink182 wannabe band.... at least in the three songs I've heard by them so far. This one's the best yet.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The term "Reliant K" brings back fond memories of my first car. (It was red, and my mother thought I was so stunning: a blonde in a red car. Um, mom, it's a Reliant K. *grin) I'll have to pick up a CD if I can find it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Just to be clear, they *are* a blink182-style new-punk pop band... just a very good one [Smile]

and they are named for the car (which one of them used to own), but I guess had to mispell it for copyright reasons.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I caught the tail end of them at Warped Tour last week. They were pretty good.

What other pop punk bands do you like?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Although I have no idea what you just said in that first sentence, Jim-Me, I have to brag to kojabu: I had a free backstage passes to the Warped Tour last year. [Big Grin]

(My stepdaughter was one of the breakdancers on tour with one of the sets, and I got to groove with her.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Nice! Which band was she on tour with?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

that's the thing, I usually don't like them...

But I do like bits and pieces here and there: SR-71's "Right Now", Stroke 9's "Little Black Backpack", a few scattered Bowling for Soup songs, some Blink 182 and Boxcar Racer.

Sadly my favorite of those type bands, Lit, seems to have fallen quickly out of favor (must be the Carvin endorsement... for some reason that seems to be almost as effective as doing a James Bond theme to send you into obscurity)

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard the band yet, but I do like their lyrics. I struggle with forward motion a bit myself.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Hm, have you tried any Fall Out Boy? They're one of my favorites.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

kojabu - I haven't tried them but am willing if I can ever find the time to start searching out new music again... Do you have any recommendations on where to start with Fall Out Boy?

CT - All three of the songs I've heard are from "Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, But Three Do" so perhaps that's a good album to start with. There's another one called "The Anatomy of Tongue in Cheek" in which all the song titles are puns... if that's your sort of thing [Smile]

Tammy - We all struggle with forward motion, yes. *hug* I hope you're finding encouragement this morning.

kojabu
Member # 8042

Indeed I do! Their newest album - From Under the Cork Tree - is great, I like most of the songs on it. My favorites are

Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner
7 Minutes in Heaven
Of All the Gin Joints in All the World
Dance Dance (not typical of how they usually sound though)

enjoy! [Big Grin]

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- singing

quote:
So wear me like a locket around your throat.
I'll weigh you down.
I'll watch you choke.
You look so good in blue.
You look so good in blue.

[Kiss] Jim-Me I'm working on it...hard!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Woo! FOB! I was so excited when I got to see them at Warped. They played that song too!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
Nice! Which band was she on tour with?

She was one of the B Girls at the hip-hop Code of tha Cutz.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

She goes by "Paws" as a stage name (in camo tank).

She's an awesome dancer.

Edit: Paws in in Toronto (front salute) and dancing in New York City.

[ August 22, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh I saw that tent when I was there. There wasn't much going on when I walked by though.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, the party starts when she's around. So much energy!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, is she single?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I was wondering how long till someone asked that... thanks El JT for getting to it before I was too tempted to.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help it, I have a weakness for dancers.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

me too... dancers and soccer players have awesome legs/thighs/glutes
kojabu
Member # 8042

So what other kind of music do you listen to if you're not into the pop punk stuff?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

all kinds of stuff... but I've mostly listened to local Dallas talent for the last several years.

Some random groups/musicians I almost invariably dig:
Rush, Dave Matthews, Tori Amos, Live, Jars of Clay, Peter Gabriel

[ August 22, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.