FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Game/DVD/Book Ideas for a 15 Year Old Brother

Author Topic: Game/DVD/Book Ideas for a 15 Year Old Brother
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother has been an exceptionally cool brother as of late, and me, being the exceptionally cool older brother I am, well, I thought I'd treat him to a gift, of sorts.

The problem is that I don't know what on earth to get him.

Gaming Systems: PC and XBox.

He already has WoW, and is waiting for SW: Battlefront 2. So I figured if theres nothing out there with games that I could get him, perhaps I could go the route of DVD's. He's really into action/adventure/sci-fi stuff. I thought maybe about Battlestar Galactica, but think thats a little too much.

So the question is this:

What can I get him that says "Hey, thanks for being cool. Look how cool I am back to you. Don't do drugs."

I thought also about possibly getting him a book or something, and at which point, I have no idea what on earth to get him.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Does he already have the Star Wars: Clone Wars DVD?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

BRILLIANT!!

Keep them coming.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
He might also be interested in Battlefield 2 (video game).
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does he like to play poker? I found a cool "Texas Hold 'Em Poker Set" that came with two decks of cards, a set of chips, a dealer badge, and instructions in a cool, zip-uppable portable little case for my brother's last birthday. (At Ross. For $7. [Big Grin] ) He loved it.

As far as DVDs go, there's always Firefly (to which I am a new convert), or an early season of SG-1, which I hear is pretty cheap at Costco.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

He might be. I have that one myself and have enjoyed it.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest some Orson Scott Card books. What hasn't he read, yet?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Um... ::cough cough::.... uh.... Enders Game.

Which my loving wife already mentioned I should send him.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Mentioned with much swearing in disbelief.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Um... ::cough cough::.... uh....

Some Robitussin may help with that nasty cough you've got there.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Get him a gift card to Gamestop or Bestbuy or something. And on the envelope, write 'We're so cool. Don't do drugs.'

I'm 15 and like action/adventure/sci-fi stuff and videogames and everything by the way. I think He'd probably appriciate a gift card or certificate a lot more, because he can put it toward what he wants. Like his that Starwars Battlefront 2 game you mentioned.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Why does your love have to be expressed through material things? How about spending time with him? Go fishing. Watch a Lifetime movie together. Share your feelings. Give him a hug.

Just kidding; go with Clone Wars or Sin City. If he has been especially cool, Freaks & Geeks or Firefly DVD sets. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Get him the PC game Homeworld [links to rotten tomatoes page-- 100%). I cannot stress this enough [Smile] It was made back in 1999, so it's hard to find offline, but it's worth it.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I decided to go with a combo Enders Game/Clone Wars pack through Amazon.com

I thought about Firefly. He might like that, but I think I'll save that for his Birthday in December. Freaks and Geeks and Homeworld are very good suggestions for that time, though.

I think jamie has Homeworld should I be able to dig it up.

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen Firefly? You should watch it before the movie Serenity comes out.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Give away my copy of Homeworld and you're a dead man. [Mad]

I also know exactly where it is. And I'm not telling.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solero
Member # 8668

- posted      Profile for solero   Email solero         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm im new To HR and ive been read past articles trying to get a feel for HR
but Yes but if I were you I would get him Firefly and or Sin City

If he is getting SW: Battlefront 2 he might already have SW: Clone Wars (If your not alking about the CN animated one)

Battlefeild 2 If he doesnt have that SLAP HIM!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by solero:
Hmm im new To HR

Welcome!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Um... Random thread revival?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd highly recommend the X-Box/PC game "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" if he isn't completely averse to role-playing games. Better writing and characterization than the last three films.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you made a good choice. I agree with Hamson. I assume your brother is a teenager?

And I gather you do not live at home since Mackillian was ready to do battle over Homefront and having seen her in a fencing photo I personally wouldn't mess with her.

So, a gift cert to Gamestop would probably make his day and you'd win brother of the year.

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh, **reading the thread title and feeling stupid** I see he's 15. That does qualify as a teenager.
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
FF7 Advent Children, BF2, Starcraft, Black and White is interesting, Civilization 4 when it comes out, CoD 2 when it comes out, a ZBoard maybe.

As for books, ender/shadow books, books by harry turtledove, etc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh, guys? I don't think he's looking for a present anymore. [Smile]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.