FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TOS Communicator-style Cell Phones

Author Topic: TOS Communicator-style Cell Phones
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Read all about it

I'll admit that when I got my first flip-phone I was disappointed that I couldn't program it so that it would get a TOS-series communicator chirp when I opened it, but I wonder how successful this venture will be. Star Trek fans are stereotypically a rabid bunch, but is there any hard data on how large a demographic that actually is? How many units of a particular cell phone model have to be sold in order for it to be worth a company's while to produce them?

[ August 22, 2005, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. If this thing is anywhere near reasonable, it'll make a nice Xmas present for a geek I know [Smile]
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice! Now they need to develop something like the badges.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Would they, like the badges, know who you were calling before you'd done anything to indicate that particular piece of information?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How many units of a particular cell phone model have to be sold in order for it to be worth a company's while to produce them?
I imagine it's relatively small. The Sprint store has dozens of models to choose from. Other carriers offer dozens more. Most of my friends have phones that are different from my other friends' phones. Every time I've gone to "upgrade" to a better or newer phone, the one I'm trading in isn't even available anymore.

Used phones are practically trash. I got a $25 rebate on my new phone by trading in my old one. That brought the new phone price down to just over $200. [Roll Eyes] (My car and computer didn't depreciate that fast.) There is a box in the lobby of the local bowling alley with a sign that says, "Drop off your old cellphone here to benefit [some charity]". There are usually a half dozen phones in the box when I've looked.

Based on these observations, I don't think the cost of designing a new model of cell phone is very high at all. Also, I don't think this will be restricted to the hardcore trekkie demographic. I consider myself far from hardcore (never been to a con, enjoy the shows but haven't seen an episode in months) yet I would consider buying one if it were available at the time I happened to be shopping for a phone.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Would they, like the badges, know who you were calling before you'd done anything to indicate that particular piece of information?

Sure, we could hardwire them into our brains and everything.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Good point on all counts Karl.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Wow, that's something I've never thought about before.

Kind of like how the doors just opened when somebody wanted to go through them. Cool.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that cell phones are often heavily subsidized by the absurd calling plans, thus the contracts for 1, 2, or 3 year agreements.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Wow, that's something I've never thought about before.

Kind of like how the doors just opened when somebody wanted to go through them. Cool.

I loved it when two characters would walk down the corridor and stop in front of one person's door. They'd chat for a minute, and then as soon as the conversation was finished and the person turned to go into their quarters, the door opened. It's like the ship's computer is telepathic!
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

And how they could pick up what the person was saying from a tiny little badge not anywhere near the person's mouth. Then they could also hear the response as if it were a phone, but not. If someone's in a corridor, does everyone else hear the conversation or was it private?
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
The computer was quietly listening in on everyone's conversation and knew where everyone's quarters were. From that, it was a short step to extrapolate when and for whom doors should be opened. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

It's like Jane!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.