FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music withdrawl

Author Topic: Music withdrawl
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
My iPod abruptly died yesterday, and I'm already tense and twitching from having to travel everywhere in silence. My daily three hours of commuting have gone from tolerable to something I dread. Any suggestions on how to combat music withdrawl?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Put a boombox in your car?

Or do you take public transportation?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

Yep, public transit. They frown on open music, sadly -- and the iPod is actually the only music-playing device I've ever owned, unless you count my computer.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Aha. Well... um... how much does it cost to get it fixed? You could always get a discman, too, if it's too much.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Loretta Lynn has a lot of music with drawl.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't afford to get the iPod fixed right away, Sony is making some pretty good mp3-CD players now starting a little under $50. You can get them at any Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Get one, burn off all the iTunes music as data discs (assuming the music is in mp3 format; unfortunately, they do not support wma, ogg, m4p, or anything else other than mp3 and ATRAC) and get back to grooving. With about 15 albums on one CD, I don't think it'll be much less convenient than the iPod, other than the slight added bulk.

Hope that helps.

[edited to add a hearty *groan* for Tante. [Roll Eyes] [Razz] ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

Oh, I'm working on getting it fixed, but it's going to take a couple of weeks at least [Cry] .

Really, I'm mostly wondering how I managed, in three months of iPod ownership, to go from never listening to music or caring about it to feeling unable to step outside without it. This accidental detox is probably a good thing. . .right? right?

:twitches:.

A temporary discman. . .hmm. . .

Raia
Member # 4700

You could always sing. [Wink]

That's what I do when I'm in my car, because I have no stereo system. But I want to get a boombox in there or something, because when I drive the hour and a half to visit my home and friends, singing is going to get really old.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not a good thing. I need music like i need oxygen, unless people want me to make up stupid songs for hours upon end. Each possibly involving checking people out surreptiously.
Definetly burn some mp3s onto a cd and get a portable cd player that plays that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
In my car, I have AM and FM. Except sometimes the FM doesn't work so well.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say either get a normal cd player or an MP3 cd player as Speed said.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't take a book along?
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
You've only had it for three months? Doesn't it have a warranty on it or something where they will replace it for you?
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

While I'm on the train, sure. While I'm walking. . .well, the coordination might take some practice, but I could try.

I'm amused that I ask for advice on how to live without music and get lots of new ideas for how to keep up a steady supply, though. I guess we're all addicts :-).

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, there is no life without music! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, Myr, do you have your R and R tickets? Email me!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.