FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Annie's CSS vs. Firefox - a duel to the death

Author Topic: Annie's CSS vs. Firefox - a duel to the death
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a novice, but I'm a novice with a deadline.

Any idea why the text on this page is ignoring the left padding command in Firefox? I can't seem to get around it.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure you have all the necessary plug-ins? Sometimes Firefox needs little extras to make pages work properly.

Just a thought...also, have you been to the Firefox website to get help?

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't noticed some of these things before: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jessewhenderson.com%2F

You'll want to get your page validating.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm designing the page, not trying to look at it. I guess I should have clarified that. It's a problem with my code.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

Ok, [Dont Know] that's over my head...sorry.
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Jess: firefox only might need an extra plug-in for a page coded to make firefox not be able to use it, or for a page intentionally taking advantage of a plug-in feature (which is extremely rare). For normal web page viewing, no plug-ins are needed.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

Mine too. [Smile] That's my main problem.
Jess N
Member # 6744

fugu: I see. I was under the impression that there was a need for plug-ins because sometimes certain pages won't work when I use my Firefox. Shows how much of a "non-computer geek" I really am. Maybe I'd better stick to grammar and writing. [Big Grin]
Jess N
Member # 6744

Annie: [ROFL] I appreciate that bit of honesty. I think that's what I love about computers--there's always one more thing to learn.
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie.... there are some great validating sites and extenstions for Firefox that validate both HTML and CSS that I use when creating websites. Try W3C CSS Validator and W3C HTML Validator. Check out this extension for Firefox: Firefox HTML Tidy.

I ran the W3C Validator on your stylesheet and on line 4 you have a space between 250 and px. Get rid of it and it should work. It's the little things sometimes. I know your frustration. [Wall Bash]

Added: Remember this, IE is way more forgiving than Firefox when it comes to HTML and CSS and that's not always a good thing.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

It was the dang. space.

Thank you, larisse. I shall sleep soundly tonight, and bake you a cake and feed it to you in effigy.

Those sites are awesome too, btw.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to warn you, the validators while a definite thing to run on your page, should not be used as the end-all, be-all check. Some stuff can A-OK, but render differently in Firefox and IE (due to differing interpretations).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, if you have Firefox, I highly recommend the Web Developer's extension.

Besides the links to the validators, it also gives great outlining tools and the ability to see which styles are being applied to a particular element.

It saves me tons of time.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My page is validaed. My friend (one year younger than me), built me the whole site out of code, of course. FronPAge? Ha! Never! Not even Dreamweaver, pure code.

I follow standards, not everyone's Microsoft.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

I had Firefox, but it mysteriously disappeared from my computer.

I know, I should really just step away from the internet.

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo... a cake made by Annie. Sounds delicious even if it is only virtual. Hmmm.... I am torn between a white cake with a strawberry whipped cream filling and whipped cream frosting with whole strawberries as garnish and a decadent chocolate ganache cake with chocolate buttercream filling. No need for garnish on that one.

I agree with Dag about the Web Developer's Tool extension. I have it and use it. I just forgot to list it. Web Developer's Tool

I also use CSE Validator and Tidy to check my sites.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.