FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are there many things worse....(medical complaint)

Author Topic: Are there many things worse....(medical complaint)
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
...than a bad case of pinkeye?

I'm now beginning my second week with pinkeye. From what I've read, pinkeye that stays around that long is most likely viral in nature which means seeing the doctor isn't going to do me much good.

So far, with rigorous handwashing, I've avoided spreading it to anyone else in the house. I'm also washing the pillow cases in hot water and detergent every day, does anyone know if that's overkill or a sensible precaution?

Or, medical folks, could I be wrong here? Is there any other condition that could be causing symptoms like excessive, constant tearing of the eye, itching and discomfort in the eye, sensitivity to light, and a red, swollen appearance to the eye. Oh, yes, when I wake in the morning I have the stereotypical eyes-glued-shut experience.

But I've never had pinkeye this severe or pinkeye that hung around so long. When my kids have had it, it's always been no more than a few days before it was clearing up. If anything, this has gotten worse since last week. Last week, I was the only person that noticed - this week I've had several people ask me what's wrong with my eye. It's beginning to be a bother, as it was negatively affecting my ability to take notes in class this morning.

I hate to go to the doctor for something as mundane as pinkeye, though. But, if any of our estemmed medical personages think it might be more serious, I'll follow your advice.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are anti-virals they might be able to help you with even if it is viral, although untreated conjunctivitis can last a while even if it's bacterial sometimes.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle: If it's been around this long, you need to visit a doctor. Are you sure it's pinkeye? Here's why I ask.

When my daughter was a baby, she accidently poked me hard in the eye and scratched it. It healed quickly and then I didn't think anymore about it. Two years later, my eye started hurting and then I woke up one morning and it was completely bloodshot, was running and hurt like heck. Seeing was pretty impossible. I thought it was pinkeye and called my eye doctor. He took a look at me and then told me that the top layer of my cornea had split. I ended up having to wear an eyepatch and eventually, I had to have minor surgery so it could heal properly.

I know I'm not a doctor, but I still think you need to get some medical attention, no matter how mundane you may think this is.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. And even if it is conjunctivitis, if it's treatable, wouldn't you feel better just getting rid of it than trying to outlast it?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
See a doctor, get some eyedrops and be done with it already.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You should go to the doc and get some drops. It could also be an eye allergy. You don't wear contacts, do you?

Also, for immediate, soothing relief, get an eye cup and give your poor eyes a bath. You fill this little cup with a solution, and literally put your eye in, open, and blink. It feels so goo.(edit: good, but leaving goo, as it sort of fits) It doesn;t last long, but it is so worth it.

I feel for you. it has been a while, but it is a nasty thing.

Also, you could have a sinus infection that is manifesting itself in your eye, and you might need antibiotics.

[ August 23, 2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Try a tincture of goldenseal. Steep one goldenseal teabag in 1/4 cup of boiling water. Leave to cool with the teabag in ( you want it strong). Clean the eye with some of the tincture every hour or so until the infection is gone. It naver takes me longer than 48 hours to completely clear an infection this way.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, yes, when I wake in the morning I have the stereotypical eyes-glued-shut experience.
Me and my two brothers all had pink-eye at the same time when I was around 9 years old, and this experience is what stuck with me. It was so odd to wake up and not be able to open my eyes. My mom had to get a hot wash-cloth and soak my eyes before they could be opened. I still remember the feeling of finally being able to open my eyes with great fondness [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten about 5 cases of VERY bad pink eye in the last 3 years. I had to go to the emergency room once because the infection caused one of my lymph nodes to swell up HUGE and it was awful. It took almost a week of hard-core antibiotics to clear it up. You certainly do need to keep washing sheets and stuff to keep it from speading. Also use tissues, not towels to wipe your eyes. And go see the doctor. Make them give you drops as well as oral antibiotics. Hope it clears up for you soon! [Smile]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Blepharitis has similar symptoms, plus sometimes swelling of the eyelids. It definitely has the sticky-eyes-in-the-morning thing. I have it, and I hate it.

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php

And for your title question, 2 words: gangrenous hemorrhoids.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
gangrenous hemmoroids
We have a winner!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, you wanted to say "Come on down!" but were afraid of the context, right? [Razz]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Heavens, Belle, go to the doctor. Rainbow came down with pink eye a while ago and we had it all cleared up in a few days with eyedrops. The first half a day on the drops made a world of difference. We kept up the drops even though she no longer had any signs of pink eye or discomfort. It didn't come back.

I was pretty surprised how quickly the drops brought relief. You really should go and see if they can help you.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like allergic conjunctivitis to me, but hard to say. What kind of discharge comes from the eye, other than crusting? Mucus? Is mucus stringy and thin or globular?

Seeing the doctor is a good idea regardless.

And I think my cat has a corneal ulcer. He sees the vet tomorrow. I'm terrified.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
There are many, many, many things that are worse than having pink-eye. It sucks, but it will go away.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.